The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
SlayeR

My 68 GMC build

Noob here. Have really enjoyed reading through alot of the builds on the forum. Very talented people in here. Here is my story on this truck and my plans......

I had a 65 ford custom that I traded straight across for this truck like it sits. The pictures of the truck do it WAY more justice than looking at it in person. The only sheet metal that does not need to be replaced is the new hood and most of the cab. The bed, fenders and doors are ROUGH!!!! The hood will eventually get replaced with the proper year for fitment reasons.

The wheels and tires are brand new, it has factory AC, power steering and power drum brakes.

I have replaced the seats with 1994 Cadillac STS Seville power seats, which my son and I picked the front and back seats up for $75.00. The sweet deal is, no rips, everything works and we got all the wiring harness including the heater controls.

I have also, purchased all new vent tubing so I can have some sort of heat\air as needed. Replaced both window regulators and crank handles. Gauge cluster has been torn apart, cleaned, needles painted and plastic lense sanded and buffed.

My ultimate goal is to turn this truck into a short bed. I sold some parts recently and the guy told me to come to his shop and he will give me a factory 6 lug shortbed frame. He is tired of looking at it. My frame is beyond exceptional. No rust and in excellent shape. But if I can keep from cutting the LWB frame than that is what I will do.

First things that I am going to tackle is to start gathering body parts, then new motor, 6 lug disc brake conversion, vintage air, center console and paint. I am not building a show truck, just something that my wife and I can enjoy and go cruising in.

Thanks again to all of you for your posts........very educational and inspiring!!!
Attached Images

SlayeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
SlayeR

Re: My 68 GMC build

Ok guys, here is what I have been hunting for this truck. Found most everything, but of course I found it all while unemployed and did not want to let go of the money. If any of you know of anyone in the Kansas, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma area that might have these items at a good price, please let me know.

New\Used - Bed (prefer SWB, but will make a LWB work)
Doors
Fenders
Disc Brakes

I know that I can buy all of these new, but I am on a budget and am trying to do this as I can. I am ready to take this truck down to the frame and start building it back.
SlayeR is offline   Reply With Quote