The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
92GMCDriver

Project 75: The Silver Tongue Devil

Well boys and girls i got myself a new project, 75 heavy half, 350/th350, no clue what the rear end is, completely original. My plans for it are leave the paint the way it is as there is minimal rust and the patina is just perfect, the body is very straight on this truck so there will be no dent repair needed which is a bonus for me. im gonna pull the 350 out of it and see what shape its in and get it checked at the machine shop and if its all good ill get it bored and throw some new pistons in her and do a basic rebuild with some camel hump heads and an extremely mild rv cam. it is a heavy half so ill get some regular half ton leafs and lower it 2 to 3 inches all around. my plans for wheels and tires are some 275/60/15 all around on either 8 inch rallys or cragar ss rims. only got a cell phone pic so far but ill snap some more tomorrow. here she is, thoughts on what i should do with it are very welcome!!

92GMCDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
92GMCDriver

Re: Project 75: The Silver Tongue Devil

Today i threw some plugs and a set of wires that i had laying around on it to see if it would run better, and it smoothed it out a ton. probably didnt help that half the plug wires were unplugged and cracked to begin with lol. tomorrow ill get the pressure washer out and give her a much needed bath to clean the mud and grime off then i can finally get to pulling the powertrain out.

Heres some pics.
The motor is greasy, but with a little carb fiddling and plugs and wires it had a respectable amount of power for a motor in such bad shape.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
92GMCDriver

Got the motor and tranny pulled on it today, also got the entire front clip off and the rear bumper too. hoping to get the motor down to the short block tomorrow and start the cleaning process and get the firewall and frame ready for some paint. heres the only 2 pics i took of it today.

Awesome safety glasses

Alcohol injection
Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
cletis

Is that the dissasembly crew enjoying their pay?
cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Woogeroo

Next week will be the : dude, where does this go? edition.

-W
Woogeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
92GMCDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
Next week will be the : dude, where does this go? edition.

-W
Haha not quite, when i did the teardown on my 92, i put all the bolts into one bin. probably one of the worst mistakes ive ever made. took me ages to figure out where each one went so this time around ive bagged and labelled every bolt and all of the little parts too.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Your41Plague12

Looks like a great start, I love the 73-76's. It's good to see us younger guys working on old iron, too. Love the alcohol injection too; been there, done that, got the t-shirt! Keep it up man, it will pay off and you'll have an awesome rig before too long.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
92GMCDriver

well i did some cleaning today, i got the before pics but no after pics because its dark out and im too lazy lol. also stripped the motor down the the short block, cylinder walls look great with a very minimal carbon ridge. ill pull the pan tomorrow to find out if its a 4 bolt main.

heres some post cleaning pictures...

Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
92GMCDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your41Plague12 View Post
Looks like a great start, I love the 73-76's. It's good to see us younger guys working on old iron, too. Love the alcohol injection too; been there, done that, got the t-shirt! Keep it up man, it will pay off and you'll have an awesome rig before too long.
Thanks! my dad has a 78 that he got from my grandfather in 1981, they hold sentimental value to me because i spent a large part of my childhood in that truck. we still have it but its in my uncles back yard in New Brunswick, about a 5 day trip from where im at in Alberta, so i decided id get a good one out here as a project.

You just cant beat the old american cars and trucks either. around here everyone my age has imports, so when i bring my 92 to a car show im a sight for sore eyes to all the older enthusiasts
Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
92GMCDriver

Well guys i havent posted on here in a while but i have been working on the truck lots since the weather started to shape up. i thought i could just get away with patching my box up where the rust was but after a little sanding i discovered this...

So i kept an eye on the local kijiji (canadian craigslist) and managed to score a completely rust free long box for 280 bucks!! its got a few dings to be fixed but im way further ahead with this box than i was with my other one. i dont have any pics right now but ill probably throw some up later.

So after my bondo discovery i pulled the old box off to start working on getting the frame cleaned up.

Then i decided i wanted to start sanding it...

Then after i got tired of sanding i decided i would get the frame cleaned up and painted and dropped the saddle tanks in preparation for the future fuel cell install...

After all of this i was still trying to decide what i wanted to do for a motor, well a local hot rodder here in town decided he didnt want his built 350 SBC anymore and put it on kijiji for a steal of a deal, so i couldnt pass that up.

And that leaves me at today, i have the interior all stripped and the cab floor couldnt be any cleaner, not a single bit of scale rust on the floor, most of the paint is still intact save for the rocker where people were stepping on it to get in.

Now im just saving up for some more parts, going to du the front suspension and steering here soon then once i get that sorted out ill do the rear suspension, then on to the body work! well guys, sorry for the long winded post but thanks for reading!! ill have more pictures asap. thanks for looking.
2005 2500hd Duramax
Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
texastruckjunky

Nice lookin project, and your progress is pretty fast also. Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
92GMCDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastruckjunky View Post
Nice lookin project, and your progress is pretty fast also. Can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks!! i dont work on the truck often, usually only on the weekend because i work so much throughout the week, but im happy with the progress and im excited to see it done too!!
2005 2500hd Duramax