The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
PaRedneckRiders

84/86 k10 trail rig

Ok well i started a thread in the 73-87 section but decided to move it to here. (if someone can delete my most recent thread in that project section that would be awesome)
I figure since its going to be mostly a trail rig it belongs here.
So this is what im working with right now.
Heres what my truck looked like before i started tearing it back down.

Here is the truck i picked up for the good frame it had.(the wheels and tires are off of my black truck)

Started tearing that truck apart also but i havent got real far on either yet because of the bad weather. And right now were getting more snow.
Then i picked up this 14 bolt open diff full floater for 40$

Ok and tonight i picked up an np205 t-case off of my buddy who traded it for the 208 out of my black truck. IDK why he traded he just really wanted a 208. So i have to take it out and give him it.
I have been contemplating twin sticking a 205 for a while but just not sure if its worth it. As soon as i give him my 208 im gonna tear the 205 down and clean it paint it and prob replace bearings seals and gaskets.

Ok plans for this truck are
14bolt ff
dana 60
8in lift
DIY4X shackle flip in the rear
DIY4X B52 kit in the front
np205 t-case
My other buddy said he would make me a deal on a dana 60 and alot of other parts i can use i just need to get the $$ to go get them.
PaRedneckRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
PaRedneckRiders

Re: 84/86 k10 trail rig

We pulled my 208 t-case out of the black truck today for the guy who gave me the 205. But i never even thought of the tail shafts in the trans being different because mine is newer well ya its different. But he said he will trade me trans also so i just gotta pull mine out. I planned on pulling my motor and trans this weekend, i gotta get an engine lift off a buddy of mine. But then im going to get some stuff ready to go into scrap.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
PaRedneckRiders

Pulled the grill, lights, inner fenders, battery, rad. overflow, and battery tray today. I didn't work real long didn't want to do any more because i didn't have the engine lift and didn't want it to get rained or snowed on to make it a big PITA to work on tomorrow.
I just went and picked up the engine lift so tomorrow i plan on pulling the motor and trans.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
PaRedneckRiders

Today i pulled the fenders, core support, and rad.
The unplugged all the wires and unbolted the motor and pulled it.
Took the trans off and took it to my buddy so i could get the one i needed for the np205 but i kept my clutch since its only a few months old.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
PaRedneckRiders

Haven't been able to get much done lately its been snowing and raining and cant make up its mind on what it wants to do. Only thing i got done today was pulling the glass out of the new truck then it started raining, i figure since the glass is good i might as well keep it.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
PaRedneckRiders

So it wasnt raining today and the ground was froze up for a little bit figured i would pull the cab off.
The frame is a little nicer than i even first thought the only problem though is the rear crossmember that the cab mounts too the one side is rotted enough that it didnt do anything but im looking for a good one now.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
spudz

I like it and good work so far!!
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
PaRedneckRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
I like it and good work so far!!
Thanks man
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
PaRedneckRiders

Didnt have much to do today and it was pretty nice but i got the cab off the 86 frame and moved my 14bolt in the garage and pulled the drums off. The plan for it is to keep the 4.10 gears get a locker, and the drums are not in real bad shape so ill prob turn them down on a brake lathe make sure there true and just throw some new pads and hardware on. It already has brand new wheel cylinders from before i bought it.
Id like to do disk brakes but i figure if i can get away with something that still works good and is pretty cheap i will do that if i feel the need for disks later on i can always upgrade.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
PaRedneckRiders

Got my black truck mostly torn apart, im going to have my buddy come get it today or tomorrow to go to scrap hes buying this and he bought a parts cavalier i had and hes giving me a good deal on a D60 axle.
But as soon as i pull the heater box and steering box off im going to have him come get it then i can go pick up my dana 60

Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
PaRedneckRiders

Rest in pieces 84. The rest of it rolled away on a buddies flatbed today. Im going sometime this week to look at dana 60s he said he has a dodge one with 4.10s he would sell me but also has a GM one which is the one i will probably get because i was reading about the dodge d60s and they need some modifications to fit properly so i would rather choose bolt on over changing things.

I do have one question though my rear has 4.11s in it now and im debating on keeping them or going to a 4.56. The truck will not be driven on the road very much, just occasionally but when it is i would still like to be able to do 70 or so down the highway. I will be running an sm465 backed by an np205 so what are your guys opinions, i would like to sort that out before i get lockers because the 4.11 and down and the 4.56 and up lockers are not interchangeable.

Anyway i will also probably be ordering my rear shackles and front spring mounts from DIY4X soon.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
PaRedneckRiders

Ok well tonight i picked up my dana 60, tomorrow im going to clean it up some and try to figure out what gears are in it ill post some pics then. But the next couple weeks is probably going to be pretty slow, im going to order my DIY4X parts after next weekend because we are going to Motorama in Harrisburg, Then i need to find the lift springs i want to use.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
redneck64

Looks Good! Im gonna follow this one!

redneck64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
PaRedneckRiders

I really really hate frozen mud. I should have cleaned it last night before it froze hopefully it warms up some so i can clean it my pressure-washer barley even touches it.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
PaRedneckRiders

Well today i sandblasted the trans and t-case. It didnt really turn out that great the cheapo craftsman sandblaster just didnt have enough guts to get all the stuff off, i think if i would have sprayed some degreaser on it the last couple days and washed it first it would have worked but its done now.
And i cleaned up the silver overspray that was everywhere after these pics so black is where it should be and so is the silver.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
PaRedneckRiders

It warmed up a little bit the last couple days so i was able to clean the D60.

When i was pulling the diff cover off i cleaned the ratio tag and saw that it should have 4.10s in it

I continued to pull the diff cover off and what i found wasn't what i was hoping for, some nasty looking oil and a good bit of water and ice. I come to find out that the pinion seal is leaking which is still not a real big deal.

So now this axle is going to get torn down and cleaned really good both inside and out along with a nice sandblast and paint, for now im keeping the 4.10s in the front and 4.11s in the rear and not going to lock it, If i like the ratio ill put lockers front and rear if not ill change gears then do lockers, but plans for the D60 are all new brakes, clean, paint, Crossover steering and replace necessary things.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
PaRedneckRiders

Not sure what i was thinking when i made the last post, i said the 14 bolt had 4.11s and the D60 had 4.10s which is wrong because both have 4.10s
Old 02-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
McMurray76

I'll be watching this for sure!
McMurray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #19
PaRedneckRiders

Sorry guys been pretty slow lately, i haven't been able to order any parts yet and haven't been able to get much done lately because of the weather its either raining or snowing.
But today i was able to cut my brake drums and surprisingly they were not that bad, after knocking some of the crusty stuff off the outside edge it only took two cuts and they were good.

Im gonna head into town probably this weekend and pick up the stuff i need to put the rear axle back together for good, the brake shoes and hardware, along with new seals for the inside of the brake drums.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
PaRedneckRiders

I know i just cut my drums but i was looking at parts i need to order and i decided to look at the rear disk brake conversion again for the 14bolt. Well this is the way i have decided to go now, ill just order the brake brackets along with my other parts that i have to order from DIY4X at the same time. I would have another 50$ or more into shoes and hardware, and its not all that much for calipers and disks so i figure its a win win win, ill have better braking power something easier to service and something lighter.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
threeonthetree

keepin an eye on this one

1969 c10 AKA SIN

1985 SSWB TRAZER
(super short wheel base)
threeonthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
PaRedneckRiders

Okay so today i ordered some of my parts from diy4x, i ordered my disk brake brackets for the 14bolt a B52 kit for the front and a rear shackle flip. Not sure when the parts will get here but I'm really anxious to see them I've heard nothing but good things about diy4x and their products.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
PaRedneckRiders

So the other day i picked up another 14 bolt ff, i got this one for 20$ Today i stripped it of everything and kept anything thats worth anything. I just really wanted the hubs off the drums for when i do disk brakes but i also kept the ring and pinion the axle shafts and the adjusters for inside, pretty much everything that was good.
The housing itself is not in bad shape but i have no use for another one right now so ill just throw it in the scrap pile.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
PaRedneckRiders

Today i got my diy4x parts and all i have to say is wow, these things are just awesome. Pictures dont do them words because i have looked at many pictures where people were using them and i thought they looked decent but once there in your hands its a totally different story these things are sweet. I will definitely be doing business again with them soon.

And here just showing the old stuff beside the new parts

Also my friend has a 2wd auto at his house which the cab is decent on he is tearing it all apart he said i can have the cab for some of the parts i have that he wants and i dont so im getting a practically free cab that i will be able to use. Im going to replace the rockers cause i already have new ones and the cab corners arent that great but everything else isn't bad, ill just have to cut the floor and make a new tunnel for a manual 4x4.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
PaRedneckRiders

Got the front axle and springs off today, now im going to get the frame up off the ground get the old brackets off then probably going to have the frame sandblasted and primed, im not sure what i want to paint the frame with yet, i was sort of leaning toward POR-15 but im not 100% sure yet.
Ignore all the junk on the frame right now, thats where i threw stuff when i was cleaning up so it wasn't in the way as much.