The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
stubby1962

muncie 4speed trouble?

Hi All:
I have a problem with my transmission maybe and need some expertise on the problem.
I down shifted from fourth to third and heard a noise. It appears to have all the gears and drives, it is quiet as long as I hold in the clutch, but when I let it out about half way it make a terrible racket. While I have it in neutral and let the clutch out it tries to move forward and makes the racket. I'm hoping that maybe the pressure plate has messed up. Does anybody have any idea what it maybe? I haven't dropped the transmission yet to see if it is in the clutch,pressure plate or throw out bearing. I'm just kinda wanting to know what it maybe. I thank you all in advance and God Bless US All...John
stubby1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Solo2002

Re: muncie 4speed trouble?

sounds like the pressure plate maybe the throw out berring making the noise but not sure how much trouble was getting the muncie in there im gonna do the same trans and its a close ratio
Old 09-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby1962 View Post
Hi All:
I have a problem with my transmission maybe and need some expertise on the problem.
I down shifted from fourth to third and heard a noise. It appears to have all the gears and drives, it is quiet as long as I hold in the clutch, but when I let it out about half way it make a terrible racket. While I have it in neutral and let the clutch out it tries to move forward and makes the racket. I'm hoping that maybe the pressure plate has messed up. Does anybody have any idea what it maybe? I haven't dropped the transmission yet to see if it is in the clutch,pressure plate or throw out bearing. I'm just kinda wanting to know what it maybe. I thank you all in advance and God Bless US All...John
if it is in neutral and you let out the clutch and it tries to move , it is the trans. if it is in neutral; it is neutral. clutch has nothing to do with it if it is in neutral
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Solo2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
if it is in neutral and you let out the clutch and it tries to move , it is the trans. if it is in neutral; it is neutral. clutch has nothing to do with it if it is in neutral
ron
ya thats true think it maybe getting crossed up between gears?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
padresag

perhaps the bull gear jumped the heifer gear.
you will have to pull the cover to check it out
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
stubby1962

Thank you all for your replies. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the transmission so when I pull the cover off the side of it, I will know what to look for.
As far as the truck trying to move when in neutral, it's just barely and does not lurch forward or anything like that. Also if I give it gas in neutral, it doesn't seem to make it want to move any different. That is why I was thinking maybe a spring from the pressure plate has come loose and lodged somewhere causing that problem. I guess my best bet would be to drop the tranny and look at everything, but I know nothing of the inside of the transmission. I thank you all again for you fast response to my problem with my truck. God Bless US All...John
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
64thunder

it should move a little in neutral also was the noise sounding like grinding ive notices the sm420 prefers to have the wheel speed and everything matched before you downshift since they arnt synchroed between 3-4
64thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
stubby1962

Smile Re: muncie 4speed trouble?

Thanks for all the input on the problem, but I have it figured out. I had just had the transmission put in and had been sitting for a while. Anyway the rear seal was shot and just low on gear oil. I drained out the rest of the old oil and replaced the seal..Refilled with 85-90w cl-4 and NO noises whatsoever. Runs like a new one should. I'm glad I didn't drive it any distance or I may have had to replace everything. I also took the side cover and inspected the gears and everything appears to be fine.. God Bless US All....John