The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
bossmanivy

Ivybilt Customs! Project #1

Hello everyone!

I feel I've made enough progress to get a build thread going. I'm completing going through the 1969 c-20 my father in law gave me a couple of months ago. The general plan is to convert to a half ton and bring the front and rear bumpers a little closer together. I will do a nice static drop! (It's all about the stance). Bigger wheels with a nice disc brake package at all fours! I've been working on it for awhile, so I know this thread will catch up to the progress I've made. I would like to explain the title for a minute. Ivybilt Customs is a name I've had in my head for years. I don't own a custom shop, but that is my dream! My last name is Ivy and I use to drive a truck over the road! The best truck I ever owned was a peterbilt. I loved that truck! So I came up with the name ivybilt. If you've seen a peterbilt logo, then you get what I have in mind for a logo! It's silly, I know. This build will progress slow. I sell cars now and I work a lot of hours. I've been working outside for now. I have a structure to put up to get me through the winter, so that will take some time. Here are some pics to show you what I'm starting with. I'm doing this thread with my phone for now, so bear with me as I struggle through these posts. Thanks for checking it out! God bless!!!

Oh! One other note. My father in law bought it from his cousin when it was a couple of yrs old. Then drove the wee out of it for 30 yrs. it has been sitting for about 12 yrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
bossmanivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
bossmanivy

Re: Ivybilt Customs! Project #1

sorry about that, i moved some pics around in photobucket and broke the links. I will post some teardown progress soon.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
CC69Rat

Truck looks like a great start to me. So youre going to make it a SWB? Are you looking for anything in particular? Ill help you any way I can.
Posted via Mobile Device

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
bossmanivy

All I need right now is some moral support. I'm going to post some more progress pics when I get to work and straighten out my photo bucket. Impossible on my phone. I love how everybody gets involved with these threads. I don't like how some of these builds have started in 09 and 10 and they're still not there. I have a long way to go! I'm excited to get going
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548037
Old 10-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
bossmanivy

Alrighty! this is the condition I got the truck in. My father in law was going to pull the motor and scrap the truck. I stopped by and he had removed the grill, radiator and and the front bumper. He used a sawzall to remove the bumper along with the front 4 in of frame rails. I was like, what the hell are you doing, you can't scrap a classic! he told me it was my problem then!! Sweeettt! So I'm sitting there looking at it and was wanting to get it driving, then go from there. I noticed that the trailing arms had become swiss cheese, the brakes needed completely replaced (lines, hoses, MC, WC's......everything!) and the wiring was a mess. And if I did get it running, I would not be able to drive it in the rain, unless I needed a shower!

So I said to myself, "Let's Teardown!"
I started with the obnoxious rear bumper

first off is the spare tire carrier

then the bumper

whoever put this thing on, never intended it to come off!

All done, finally! After all that, My father in law wanted me to move the truck so I would have some more room to work and he would have more room to park!
So after I had the truck in its new spot I went back to work. He had installed some saddle tanks a long time ago to triple his fuel capacity. I don't thing I will be reinstalling these!

Then I ground down the rusty bed bolts, shook the bed loose, and walla!!! I now realize the value of a helping hand, and some strong backs!

After some help

Here's what the frame looks like.

That's all for now. I have to get some work done at work. I'll be back!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
CC69Rat

You doing Cab off too ? Have you considered swapping to a SWB 1/2 ton frame? It might be easier to find one blasted and painted, all ready to rock and roll then roll it under your cab and front metal .. (just thinking since the front horns were cut off)

just a thought ?

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
bossmanivy

I still have the front horns. It doesn't look like it would be a big deal to weld them back on. I found a 1/2 ton rolling chassis I could buy, but I would be compelled to disassemble, clean, paint, and build up, so I may as well do that with this frame. It appears to be solid. I have a sand blaster and I plan on blasting it myself. I know it will be a PITA but I would rather do that than spend the money on something else. everything on this truck is going to need a fair amount of attention. All I can do at this point is take it one step at a time and spend my money wisely to build the nicest truck I can. Time, and money!!!

Chris

Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
CC69Rat

Yeah man .. Make every dollar count where you can.

I am just thinking before I spend the time to clean up the LWB frame, then cut it down and weld it back, ..etc. To end up with a clean, but cut down LWB frame you still have to do the 1/2 ton conversion on .. why not get you a 71-72 Trailing arm rolling frame that you could do the same work to, and not have to do the Kmember swap, you'd have your disc stuff, the rear end, .. 5 lugs, etc. Work on what you really would want to keep anyway (?) You can pick up SWB roller frames for $300-500 or so on the parts forum. (If you subscribe )

With the cab off, you could get a good look at your cab supports, floor pans, behind the front fenders / cowl area, .. you could clean up the engine bay, etc. Maybe use your white truck for the stuff you know you want to keep. This way you have the clean roller frame, sitting there ready to rock and roll. Clip the rest of the way off .. Pull the engine out, clean it up good and go through it and just sit it over in the new SWB frame.

Do you have a Cherry Picker ? I'd say you do byt the looks of your shop.

I think I'd plan to swap her over.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
bossmanivy

all great points! I'll checkout the parts forum. I'm about 70% tore down now. I just haven't posted that far yet. cab is baaadddd!!!! We'll see how it goes. It'll be fun either way. I really appreciate the input! have a great weekend, work on the BB truck!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Katrina/10

Wow, that looks like its going to be a big job, hope you can save it. I don't think I have ever seen an aux fuel tank that rusty!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
bossmanivy

Cool Re: Ivybilt Customs! Project #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina/10 View Post
Wow, that looks like its going to be a big job, hope you can save it. I don't think I have ever seen an aux fuel tank that rusty!
It is a huge job! It's overwhelming when I go through these threads that are near completion, then I updAte mine, and I'm still on page 1. I guess I'll have to see where I'm at when I get to page 30!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Katrina/10

Well, keep at it. Sometimes I think tearing these things down is some of the most fun because it seems you are making a lot of progress. Putting it back together is when it seems to slow down a lot.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 10-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
bossmanivy

My build thread is complete. I have an avatar and I am officially a part of this family of awesomeness. That didn't sound corny, did it?

Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
CC69Rat

Everything you do to your truck makes it better.. right? Just focus on one area get it like you want it and move to the next.

Welcome to the forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
bossmanivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Everything you do to your truck makes it better.. right? Just focus on one area get it like you want it and move to the next.

Welcome to the forum.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is the plan! You can tell I've been a member since 08, but I never did anything on here. I was just poking around. I have become more involved in the last month. Good to be here!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #16
bossmanivy

Back to the build.......or the anti build, at this point. The bed is off, the frame is covered in surface rust. It is pretty solid, I won't know what I am working with till I start to really clean it up. I decided to move the bed out of the way so I would have some room to work.

Earlier I had removed the tail lights and side markers. The metal is a little banged up and the lights didn't really want to come out that bad. I found more rust on the inside.

then I started on the front clip. Broken bolts, rusty and bent metal, the sawzall was my best friend......You know the drill!

Then I started on the cab! More of the same!

looking down the side of the gas tank through the cab corners

corrugated sheet metal floor patch.....INGENIOUS!!!

There is the previous owner! Everybody, Jim.....Jim, Everybody!

I grabbed the cherry picker and was able to move the cab back on the frame a little so I could get a look at the frame underneath!

I'm going to ask for my first piece of advice........should I keep these cab lights?

Thanks Guys!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
bossmanivy

Just a side note, because it's the only thing I can brag about right now is that al these pics have been taken with my phone. Looking at it on my desktop, I'm pretty impressed with the pic quality! Have a great weekend.......Go Cardinals!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
bossmanivy

More progress! continued to disassemble the cab so it is lighter to move around. Here are some pictures of the components I removed and picture of the cab shell. I did have some help today!

And now for pictures of the cab! Don't be afraid......I'm not.

I don't have a picture of it yet. But I took out the windshield without breaking it and co0me to find out the window channel is not rotted out.....WooooHoooo!!! I was so excited. It just needs cleaned up. Thanks everyone for checking it out!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
CC69Rat

Hey -- Check the number pad on the engine block, right behind the driver's side valve cover. Let me know the numbers ..

Is it 3970010 ? E'hem .. (kidding) Really, check it and see what you've got. If it's an 010 block, it's a 4 bolt main and high nickel content block. Very desirable block to build should you decide to go that route.

It'd pull it off those frame rails, get it cleaned up and checked .. +.. .0030 .0010/.0010 and a mild cam / intake painted up purdy and drive it!! Yeah, you've got some metal work to do, but I have seen far worse cabs saved before. If you got the skills bubba .. I say give it a shot.

You got the truck free right? What's the worst that can happen? You have $3k in a $6k running / driving SWB truck? I'm telling ya, everything you do to it makes it better. Don't look at the big picture, just one step at a time.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #20
bossmanivy

Hey man, I know it's a 4 bolt main. I'll check the numbers in a few days. The cab seems real solid except the floors and rockers. I did get the truck for free so I know I'm under budget so far. One step at a time is the plan!
Tear down is in the works! Then I'll move onto step 2. I really appreciate you following along.

Later,
Chris
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #21
firedog

Looks good, welcome from a fellow eastern missourian, if you need anything drop me a line, we have built a few trucks and have one in progress.
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
bossmanivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
Looks good, welcome from a fellow eastern missourian, if you need anything drop me a line, we have built a few trucks and have one in progress.
For sure man. Do you have a build thread for the ones you've done or the one your working on. I'd love to check it out!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
Katrina/10

Thanks for posting all those pictures. It's fun to see a teardown! And your phone camera looks great!

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Old 10-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #24
firedog

If you do a search i have a couple posts one from doing my interior and another when I bagged my truck, project 67 is the one we are working on now, Sammy is my dad and between us and my grandfather we have 4 completed trucks on the road and then the 67 project. Stop by the midwest section of the board to find more midwesterners and even St Louis folks.
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
bossmanivy

I got home last night from work with just enough light left to take out the back window and get some shots of the window channels. Next I'll be dismantling the frame. More on that later this week!

The channels need some clean up, but they are not rotted through! Yay!!!