The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
UPNADM

My 1986 Chevrolet 4x4

I built this truck from the frame up last winter. I got the truck as a frame, then wire brushed it and painted.

Picked up a Florida cab and southern box off our local classifieds. Used a pair of existing doors and bought new inner and outer fenders.

Then did the $50.00 dollar paint job system. Used Tremclad Medium Blue (Rustoleum in the US). Thinned and rolled the paint many times, wet sanded along the way and finally buffed it.

The truck had a 350, headers, true duals and h pipe. It was very loud and got good looks around town.

I sold it last summer and started my new project.
Attached Images

UPNADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
UPNADM

Re: My 1986 Chevrolet 4x4

More photos...
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
UPNADM

Additional photos of truck
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
UPNADM

Yet more photos of my build...
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
UPNADM

This truck was a total budget build.

I had very little in prepping and painting the truck.

You can make your truck look good on a budget if you have the time and patience. I had less than 100.00 in paint and materials to do this truck.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
cochino12
It followed me home?

Nice truck. More details on the paint process please

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
UPNADM

On this truck I took most of it down to metal with the exception of the cab and front fenders as they where super clean.

Hood, doors and box I used paint stripper to bring the truck back to bare metal. I then did any necessary body work.

I then used a self etching primer from Mar Hyde, purchased from my local CARQUEST.

Primed all surfaces with etching primer.

Please note, the above steps are not mandatory, I can be a little excessive when it comes to this... Ha.

I then went and purchased a gallon of Tremclad Medium Blue (Rustoleum) in the US. A gallon of paint thinner, and stopped by the dollar store and purchased some high density foam rollers and a paint tray.

Make sure they you buy your paint not shook.

Remove any grease, tar or oil that may be on your surface. I like to wipe my panels with gas, then thinner than wash with soap and water, dried off and then wiped with a tack cloth. I really hate fish eyes...

Thin the paint until it is loose, but not too loose... From memory I was mixing 4 parts paint with 3 parts thinner.

Proceed to dip your roller into the paint, hold your breath and go for it... Start rolling, I overlap as if I was spraying, you will get the feel. Do not plan on doing the first coat in record time... it will take a while, especially to get the feel of things.

You will get some tiny bubbles, paint your panel, then go back and run the roller over the bubbles with little to no pressure. They will disappear. The good thing about this paint it tends to level on its own. Keep an eye on your edges as some times the paint will come to a drip. Just roll it out.

The good thing is you do have a fair bit of time to fix anything that may drip or run... Just roll it out until it becomes too tacky.

Dirt, bugs, hair etc... no worries it will come out.

Put a few good coats of base on your panels.

Then wet sand, I started with 1000 grit. In hind site, maybe start with something a little lower.

Wet sand your paint, do a couple more coats of base. Wet sand with a higher number of paper, in my case 1500, do a couple more coats of base, finished wet sanding with 2000 grit.

I would advise anyone (like myself) who has never wet sanded to be conscious of your edges... Odd how wet 2000 grit will take paint right off... Ha.

We then machine cut the paint with a high speed buffer and a cutting compound. I cant take credit for this as it was done by my brother in law who is a professional detailer.

He cut with one compound and pad, then buffed with another compound and pad... Then I hand waxed it. And voila it shined. The truck sat out in the sun over summer, it did not haze, go dull or do anything out of the ordinary.

This was a long process, but in the end well worth it. Kind of a conversation piece per say. Most people I told that I rolled it with rust paint found it very hard to believe.

I in know way invented or discovered this process, there are may articles and videos throughout the internet on the process.

I am happy to help if anyone wants to discuss further...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Ol'Rover
Project: years too late.

wow. you rolled that tremclad!?