The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
sweetlil66

66 C10 sbc 400 compression issue.

Hello guys... Thanks for your time.

I just got a 66 c10 with a sbc 400. The truck has set for over 4 years??? but it was last tagged in 03. The last owner told me when he parked it he put trans fluid in every cylinder. He also said the engine had been rebuilt not along before it was parked.

Today I rain a compression check and got 120+ on al cylinders but 2
http://basic-help.blogspot.com/2010/...-on-chevy.html
When I pulled the plugs they did smell of trans fluid.

cylinders 3 and 5 only had 65+ (When I pulled the plug from 3 there was alote gunkish mudish stuff come out but did spell of trans fluid ***I didn not smell anti freeze***) (Number 5 had a lil but not near as much)
To me this screams blown head gasket

Since 3 and 5 are next to each other -The low compression makes me think the head gasket is blown between the two cylinders.

Iv had a few guys say the valves may not be sealing properly and that I should fire it up and let it run for a half hour and then see what happens.

What worries me is what and wear did this muddish stuff come from.

Any advice?
sweetlil66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
luvbowties

Re: 66 C10 sbc 400 compression issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlil66 View Post

I just got a 66 c10 with a sbc 400. The truck has set for over 4 years??? but it was last tagged in 03. The last owner told me when he parked it he put trans fluid in every cylinder. He also said the engine had been rebuilt not along before it was parked.

cylinders 3 and 5 only had 65+ (When I pulled the plug from 3 there was alote gunkish mudish stuff come out but did spell of trans fluid ***I didn not smell anti freeze***) (Number 5 had a lil but not near as much)

Since 3 and 5 are next to each other -The low compression makes me think the head gasket is blown between the two cylinders.

Iv had a few guys say the valves may not be sealing properly and that I should fire it up and let it run for a half hour and then see what happens.

Any advice?
It DOES look like you could have a water-leakage problem--if so, a blown head gasket should be a welcome find! Yet, no telling what a mixture of trans fluid and remaining cylinder/piston/valve residue might look like after several years.

Please do the following, ONLY step-by-step:
Simplest 1st test is to fill rad. with water and use a pressure tester on radiator to see if pressure causes water to leak into either cylinder. If so, off come the heads--I'd never pull just that one in this scenario, even with both suspect cyls. under the same head. If no leak, continue to next parag.

You prolly already spun it over with plugs out to expel all the 'mud' you could. Drain water out of system & squirt a spoonful of engine oil in a suspect cyl. and do another comp. check, on 3 & 5. If comp. rises to good levels, chances are good the head gasket AND valves AND head are ok. Could be the rings just need 'exercising' again on those 2 cyls. If comp. fails to rise, rings are NOT the problem. To verify, continue.

Don't try starting engine yet without leaving those 2 plugs out; and try starting it on the other 6 cyls. Won't hurt engine to run JUST a bit--NOT VERY LONG--with 2 holes open to atmosphere and without water! If it starts & runs and if nothing else comes out the open holes, refill complete system with water, when cool, and let set overnite, leaving rad. cap off.

Next day, check those 2 cyl's & see if 'new' water has leaked into them, as well as inspecting level of water still in rad.

If all that looks good, you should feel safer to try running--AGAIN, NOT VERY LONG--on 8 cyl's. But, I'd re-drain water FROM ENGINE first. If it runs ok, even skipping on those 2, you should now feel safer to fill w/water when cool & re-start. It should stop skipping soon* IF rings are ok.

*I've had them run quite a few miles before skipping cyls. finally start 'hitting'.
HTH & good luck.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
sweetlil66

Thanks luvbowties.

I havent had a chance to do to much due to that fact it been cold and rainy here.

Iv got a new issue with the truck. Iv lost power. Iv got a good battery and starter but when I hit the key it wont crank... I was messing with it yesterday and have no clue what i did but the voltage regulator started clicking and quite then i could crank on her again. Lasted about 30 mins and then back to no crank. Soo idk whats going on.

luvbowties thanks again im going to try the above asap...

Iv also got a block tester I could use...
Its like this one. http://toolsandmore.us/oem27145-bloc...FdRbPAodiRYAag

Thanks again sir.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
sweetlil66

luvbowties i put oil in cylinder 3 today (Didn get a chance to do 5). It went from 75 to 90.
I was mistaken when i said cylinders 3 and 5 only had 65+ they wear 75+.

I did remove both spark plugs and let it set over night and there did not seem to be any thing in the cylinders the next day nor was there any drop in radiator (That i noticed)

What are the chances this is a head gasket issue and not a block cylinder wall issue?
I find it funny that there cold be two bad cylinder walls right next to each other and all the other be right at 120.

Im praying its a gasket issue. tell me something good please...

side note... I did try to fire her today. I have the tank out for cleaning so I dumped fuel in the carb and gave her a crank. She fired right up- she didn idle the best but I was able to chock the carb a little and give her some gas and she sounded alote better until the carb ran out of fuel. I test fired her a 2nd time and watched the oil psi gauge and even with low rough idle the oil psi went up to 25psi (Im using a after market gauge not the stock one) (There wear no knocks or bangs or such)

Any new advice???
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
sweetlil66

Are the firing orders the same on all sbc 400s threw out the years???
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
travz500

Quote:
Are the firing orders the same on all sbc 400s threw out the years???
yes 18436572
travz500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
bonehead

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me as well, and a common issue on 400's too. The bores don't have much space between them.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
DURG

The 400 engines had a "siamese" cylinder configuration. I don't know if head gaskets are different for 400's compared to other gen 1 small blocks. If so, maybe the wrong gaskets were used? IF so, could end up with more issues in the other cylinders after some more run time.
DURG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
sweetlil66

How would i go about finding out what gen my 400 is? Casting numbers?
Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
sweetlil66

Update.
Today I ran some fuel to the fuel pump and fired her up. She sounded so great.

BUT after checking the oil I noticed it was milky (No bubbles) Just milky.
It may have been the rag I was using to wipe the dip stick - The oil may have had a fuel smell to it.

Im not sure What to think. 75psi on two cylinders that are side by side and oil in the water....

My worrie is Iv got a block issue.

Iv heard you can get water and fuel in the oil when u have a blown head gasket but I MYSELF HAVE NEVER SEEN IT - Most of the time they just over heat and run ****y - But this maybe because I shut my done and rebuild the engine when I start noticing issues- Maybe iv never givin them enf time to progress into and oil and water mixing issue.

Once again Im praying this isnt a block issue.

Any advice? Who thinks its the block and who thinks its the head or head gasket?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
sweetlil66

Iv also been dumping fuel down the carb to prime it could this have done it???
One thing I did notice.
When I got the truck and pulled the radiator cap = It appeared to be pure water in the radiator (This screed me ) But when I pulled the low block hose antifreeze did come out.
I was told it had a new radiator and new antifrezee and water was added (So i figured it just didn mix good bc it had not been started)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
travz500

Quote:
Update.
Today I ran some fuel to the fuel pump and fired her up. She sounded so great.

BUT after checking the oil I noticed it was milky (No bubbles) Just milky.
It may have been the rag I was using to wipe the dip stick - The oil may have had a fuel smell to it.

Im not sure What to think. 75psi on two cylinders that are side by side and oil in the water....

My worrie is Iv got a block issue.

Iv heard you can get water and fuel in the oil when u have a blown head gasket but I MYSELF HAVE NEVER SEEN IT - Most of the time they just over heat and run ****y - But this maybe because I shut my done and rebuild the engine when I start noticing issues- Maybe iv never givin them enf time to progress into and oil and water mixing issue.

Once again Im praying this isnt a block issue.

Any advice? Who thinks its the block and who thinks its the head or head gasket?
Pull the heads and see its not hard dont get worried over something so small honestly its probably just a head gasket
I got really really upset one day when we used to race trucks in the mud thought I blew a hole in a piston got pissed motor only had maybe 4 passes on it started to smoke bad and run rough and had oil and fuel dripping out header loaded up went home ripped the front clip off pulled the motor out and *****ed the whole dam time come to find out all I had to do was pull the valve cover and replace a broken rocker no other damage could have fixed it right there but I got mad and spent a ton of time taking things apart and jumping to conclusions over a very very simple fix just pull the heads seriously save yourself the heartache its probably a set of head gaskets and intake gaskets away from being fixed
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
luvbowties

Smile Re: 66 C10 sbc 400 compression issue.

Quote:
Iv also been dumping fuel down the carb to prime it could this have done it???
One thing I did notice.
When I got the truck and pulled the radiator cap = It appeared to be pure water in the radiator (This screed me ) But when I pulled the low block hose antifreeze did come out.
I was told it had a new radiator and new antifrezee and water was added (So i figured it just didn mix good bc it had not been started)
Change oil and filter. Bearings can't stand the looks of milky oil. Fire it back up and let it idle as suggested earlier. Stop eng. & check oil for milky-look at close intervals. If oil turns milky again, cut it off & fix the heads. Block is proly ok. No, pouring gas down carb won't turn oil milky. Luck to you!
s
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
Irishbleueyes

Quote:

Any advice?
Buy a leak down tester, about 40 bux, hook it up to a compressor. Put 3 on TDC and plug in the leak down tester. Test 5 after that and it will blow the air where the leak is, either into the water passage and cooling system or out one of the valves which you'll hear out the exhaust or carb... That will tell you exactly what the problem is.. done.. good luck man
Irishbleueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
sweetlil66

Can some one tell me how i can find out what gen my 400 is???
I found a cheap gasket set at summit but its only showing IT works with 70s up to 1980.
Thanks to everyone so far.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...et?prefilter=1

Make:CHEVROLET
Beginning Year:1970
Ending Year:1976
Engine Type:V8
Liter:6.6
CID:400
Engine Size:6.6L/400
Engine Family:Chevy small block Gen I
Beginning Year:1975
Ending Year:1980
Application Notes:Fits truck applications.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #16
sweetlil66

I found a cheap gasket set at summit but its only showing IT works with 70s up to 1980.

The oil in the truck was changed a few day after getting it.

After the truck set most of the day today and all of last night - I went out and pulled the dipstick just to check what the oil looked like and to my surprise the oil looked perfect - no discoloration and it looked fresh and clean. So I fired up again ran her for 5 or 10 mins - I pulled the radiator cap to check for bubbles and there was none- I did notice VERY light white smoke coming from the tail pipe on the side with the low compression.

The other day when I first started the truck I had 25 psi on low rough idle - Today I noticed a tap on - NOT SURE WEAR but it was top side *Maybe a valve* It seemed to be around the area of the two cylinders that are low. It wasnt a bad tap but it was there - Any way I checked the oil pressure and my gauge wasnt showing oil pressure but was showing pressure a few mins before (15psi or so).
I shut her down and check the oil - and the slight milky color was back - The oil seemed thin - so thin a drop or two came off the stick (Smelled for of fuel and real watery looking - Altho it was no more milky then the day before.
(But why would it look like before running and then look milkyish after wards)?

So Im gonna do what yall said and pull the head and get new gaskets (Im thinking water or something is leaking into the block and thinning the oil out). Just to make sure Im getting a milling high volume oil pump and am gonna drop the pan clean it and install the new pump.

Ill up load pics soon!!!

Thanks guys. God bless yall. Me my wife and my 1 year old are very thankful for yalls help and advise = keep it coming. Anymore input?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Mack B

Quote:

Im pretty sure the 400 small black was only produced from 1970-1980, so that kit should fit your needs
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
'63GENIII

Definitely pull the heads. The 400s did indeed have the siamese bores and if Im not mistaken, had heads with "steam" holes to help cooling issues that came with running the siamese bores. While you have the heads off, I would check the casting #s to be sure that you have the 400 heads. As far as block #s, look at the drivers side machined pad just in front of the head. Should be a number stamped there. Should be able to find out what it is from that. Oh yeah, I wouldnt run it anymore until ya figure out where that water is coming from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #19
sweetlil66

http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

This is what the oil looks like after running a few mins.
The weird thing is the oil looks fine and normal before starting.

Here are other pics of the truck
http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/us...b8bb5.jpg.html

http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/us...610a6.jpg.html

http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/us...a0fa0.jpg.html

http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/us...d1ef2.jpg.html

http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/us...9079a.jpg.html
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

All small block 400 are GEN I small blocks and were produced from 1970 thru 1980. It sounds like you may have a crack that is opening up once the engine gets up to temp, but closes up when cold.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #21
sweetlil66

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill be pulling the head tomarrow I HOPE.

SOOO Its not just me right??? There is something in the oil correct?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #22
apachedaddy

If the oil also smells of fuel you may have stuck rings to boot. Just food for thought...
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: 66 C10 sbc 400 compression issue.

..."The weird thing is the oil looks fine and normal before starting."...

After sitting, oil & water separate--water to bottom and oil on top.
sam
Old 02-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #24
sweetlil66

Thanks guys. luvbowties I owe you big time -you've been there since the start of this thead.
I think Im just over analyzing everything... Deep down I know this is a head gasket issue but i cant help thinking the wrose.

I lost my dad a few weaks ago and Iv got my little brothers to take care of and my son and wife. Everything is kinda ridding on me getting this truck to run = At least long enf to get back on track.

I got the heads off today. Cylinder 3 had crud gunk all around the valves (kinda looked like some one had put Clay in the cylinder and it got compacted to the head. ( You can see between 3-5 on the gasket and the cylinder wall wear it was leaking over to each other) There does not appear to be any damage to the cylinder walls or head.

Iv ordered gaskets - new oil pump - a few other threw summit racing
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
travz500

Quote:
Thanks guys. luvbowties I owe you big time -you've been there since the start of this thead.
I think Im just over analyzing everything... Deep down I know this is a head gasket issue but i cant help thinking the wrose.

I lost my dad a few weaks ago and Iv got my little brothers to take care of and my son and wife. Everything is kinda ridding on me getting this truck to run = At least long enf to get back on track.

I got the heads off today. Cylinder 3 had crud gunk all around the valves (kinda looked like some one had put Clay in the cylinder and it got compacted to the head. ( You can see between 3-5 on the gasket and the cylinder wall wear it was leaking over to each other) There does not appear to be any damage to the cylinder walls or head.

Iv ordered gaskets - new oil pump - a few other threw summit racing
See sometimes you get over worried when its something so simple Its probably just the gaskets but while you got the heads off run them to a machine shop and have them checked and cleaned up just some food for thought