The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Scudboy

I can't decide...

Hey folks,

I am having a hard time trying to decide which lowering kit to use. I've got a 86 C10 with 20" wheels. The tires I'm running are 255/35/20 & 275/40/20. The 2 kits I'm looking at are the McGaughys 4.5/6 or the DJM 5/5. Both kits will use the Spindles, Springs and Flip Kit. I really like the look of the 5/7 drop I've seen on quite a few of the trucks on the forum. I just don't know which kit will give me the look I want. I don't really want to cut springs but use products that are engineered for the drop I want. Any help you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any pics of the look I'm going for post them up. Also I don't really understand the geometry of the 6 drop in the back. Won't that make the back lower than the front?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Joel
Scudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
BigMike

Re: I can't decide...

If I were you I'd go for just about anything before DJM. Been there done that with them and there is no quality control and many mistakes on their control arms that I needed to modify to work. From what I've read McGaughys is a good quality product. Myself I am running a CPP kit on my 69 and love it. I've not had the issues that others have had with CPP but I also live about 45 minutes from them so I pick stuff up. Hotchkis and ECE have kits that you may want to look into.

As far as 6" in the rear, no it won't make it lower. All trucks are usually quite a bit higher in the rear from the factory, a 5/7 drop would give you more of a level front to rear look, a 5/5 would give it a raked look.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Scudboy

Thanks Mike. McGaughys it is.
Scudboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

I would look into getting western chassis parts before mcgaughys or even belltech but 5/7 is way to go jus gottta be careful when you drive it....I totaled my frame on my truck
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Willie Makeit

spent the small bit more and get the ECE.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudboy View Post
....Also I don't really understand the geometry of the 6 drop in the back. Won't that make the back lower than the front?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Joel
Trucks come from the factory higher in the rear & that dimension is typically 2". This is the reason kits are commonly marketed as 2/4, 3/5, or 5/7 drops as most sport truck owners that lower their truck also want it more level

Stick with Bell Tech, Western Chassis, or McGaughys.
Avoid DJM, AIM, Airbagit, & Chassis Tech.

Also..... the rear drop on your 86 might be a different amount vs the same kit on an earlier model w/more leafs. The newer models usually had 4-5 leafs where earlier models could of had 6-8. The more leafs in the spring pack, the greater the amount of drop when flipping the rear housings location on the springs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Pro Performance

The McGaughys 4.5/6 is a good choice and have had a few customers go with this kit. I think you will like the stance of it. Agree, that three companies are good choices, being McGaughys, BellTech and Western Chassis.

Let us know if we can help you out at all.

- Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote