The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
ChevyGuy98

Abandoned 1967-70 Chevy Truck

My dad told me that he passed an abandoned property today and saw a 1967-70 Chevy truck sitting there and well I always wanted a Chevy truck from those years and I wanted to know if we can take possession of it. I have heard that you need to get the license plate number and some other things and report it to the DMV. Then from there the DMV will contact the owner and see how it goes from there. I am about to get a 79' stepside, but should I get this truck instead?
ChevyGuy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
mmiddle

Re: Abandoned 1967-70 Chevy Truck

If it is truly abandon I would ask around to the neighbors and see what you can find out first.
If nothing can be found out, I would be inclined to rescue it but then report it to the cops that you have it. Then start an abandon vehicle process whatever that might be in CA. I would not put any money in it until you get a clear title.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
ChevyGuy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiddle View Post
If it is truly abandon I would ask around to the neighbors and see what you can find out first.
If nothing can be found out, I would be inclined to rescue it but then report it to the cops that you have it. Then start an abandon vehicle process whatever that might be in CA. I would not put any money in it until you get a clear title.
I'll ask my father if we can go tomorrow and check it out and well he said it was in a garage that was rotting down so I'm guessing it's in the country. Anyways I'll follow your advice and hopefully I can rescue another abandoned Chevy. It would be nice to have both a 67-70 and a 79' stepside.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiddle View Post
Isn't that aka grand theft auto, except for you're turning yourself in?

Man, be careful. Private property, a vehicle that's not yours...bubba could have a 12 gauge with your name on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
ChevyGuy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Isn't that aka grand theft auto, except for you're turning yourself in?

Man, be careful. Private property, a vehicle that's not yours...bubba could have a 12 gauge with your name on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Not really I'm not just going to haul a trailer and take it. First I'm going to ask the neighbor if he knows about the truck and/or the owner and see if it's for sale. If it's not oh well I'm just going to have a 79' then. My dad told me its white and it's a long bed and the truck is fully intact. I hope it's for sale.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:50 AM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Vehicles DO get abandoned. I went to college with a guy, probably one of the coolest guys I have ever met, but who definately had more money than he needed. Anyway, he went back to Asia and just left his Japanese sports car (forget exactly what it was but it had tons of power) just sitting on the campus parking lot. It sat there, I think, at least a whole year until the college ordered it towed. The towing company (junkyard) ended up with it. I thought about going after it and the yard was OK with that but I didn't have the room for it so I let it be.

So, it can be done and done legally.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
slow-1

There was another thread a while back about doing the same thing, it was in Cali also.

It seems like auto theft to me, but apparently it is common practice out there.

There was some info on the procedure in the other thread...it might even be the same truck...white long bed in a falling down shed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585802
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

In Tx once towed they are stored for a period at the tow company.They can then get an abandoned title and sell for storage fees.I don't know how it works for individuals or for other states.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Ironangel

All my neighbors have express permission to shoot first and then call police...Ive distributed hand loaded magnum rounds of rock salt to them all...We dont play in Nebraska! If you didnt buy it, it aint yours! "just sayin"
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-1 View Post
There was another thread a while back about doing the same thing, it was in Cali also.
California can get VERY expensive to license a vehicle that has sat for a while and that can lead to the owner just walking away from it. Add repairs to whatever California wants and the value of the vehicle can get used up quickly.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
richards72chevy

There are tons of these trucks around.It may be easier just to get one that has a clean title and up to date tags.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
stexag

If 'abandoned property' means private property - I wouldn't do anything but start asking around. From where I sit going on private property and taking something because you think it's abandoned is still theft.
stexag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

If it's bank owned or county owned property you could probably get permission with a letter for dmv that would act as bill of sale and title. So ask around can't hurt.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
ChevyGuy98

I don't know why everyone is assuming I am just going to take it and it is not auto theft if you ask first and don't do anything. Anyways it's a long bed and for what I'm going to be doing I would rather just stick to the stepside, atleast the stepside has a title of current non op.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
sboris

What makes your pappy think its abandoned? There's run down buildings all around here with vehicles and property left in them for years. With owners... I wouldn't touch anything with a ten ft pole without KNOWing for sure first. Proper thing to do..
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
Lee H

Just because its collecting dust doesn't mean it's up for grabs. Does not matter what the neighbor says, it belongs to someone. If it gets carted off without a bill of sale it's stealing.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
ChevyGuy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-1 View Post

It seems like auto theft to me, but apparently it is common practice out there.

There was some info on the procedure in the other thread...it might even be the same truck...white long bed in a falling down shed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585802
Not the truck my dad said the other was in better condition
Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #18
sboris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuy98 View Post
Not really I'm not just going to haul a trailer and take it. First I'm going to ask the neighbor if he knows about the truck and/or the owner and see if it's for sale. If it's not oh well I'm just going to have a 79' then. My dad told me its white and it's a long bed and the truck is fully intact. I hope it's for sale.
I re read this, and now see it says NOT going to take it! Whew! Some good points are made though, your on the right track, just make sure and get the facts before ya act. Good luck on either truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
ChevyGuy98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
I re read this, and now see it says NOT going to take it! Whew! Some good points are made though, your on the right track, just make sure and get the facts before ya act. Good luck on either truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks and what I would really want is a 1988 Chevy Cheyenne but with the Mexico style single cab but I can't find one
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #20
sstaten69

I got a 69 chevelle the same way. if you find out that nobody is claiming it and get it you can put a storage lean on it, to try and find the owners. I hade a local salvage yard do it for me they came out and wrote the vin down and did all of the paper work for me it was a few years ago but very simple.. good luck hope it works out for you...
sstaten69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:34 AM   #21
slow-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Did it originally not have NOT, because I think that is what I read the first time...maybe not.

At any rate, good luck with getting a truck.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #22
Square_78

If it's in an old falling down garage, then its on someone's property and not abandoned. Abandoned would be on the side of the road or up on a mountain. That's obviously someone's property. Be careful. Grand theft auto comes with a nasty jail term.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuy98 View Post
I don't know why everyone is assuming I am just going to take it and it is not auto theft if you ask first and don't do anything. Anyways it's a long bed and for what I'm going to be doing I would rather just stick to the stepside, atleast the stepside has a title of current non op.
Don't worry about it. Every time one of these threads comes up people jump in and assume you are stealing a truck. Just do your research and see what the possibilities are.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
In The Ten Ring

People seem to be using their phones to do everything online now and I highly doubt it's as easy to read a post on a small screen as it is a larger one....

I do not (normally) use my phone for any forum postings at all.

Can't hurt to ask around and look into it...very sad to see old vehicles just rot away.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #25
hugger6933

I am a Arkansas used car dealer. There are ways to gain access to the paperwork as we are all aware IF you do due dilligence and all of the home work and more importantly the legwork involved. I have gotted titles to cars that were bought at used car auctions that the proceeds were donated to charity and therefore the cars had no titles. [sales rules]The sale did provide the proper paperwork to gain the title if the work was put in so I did and it is quite a bit. The other times I made deals with public buyers to to the same but had the VIN numbers checked out first to make sure they were not on a hot sheet. So you are doing the smart thing by deciding to take the slower route and ask first wrench later, check it out real good and don't get too attached to that truck it is just some sheetmetal you can find another. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote