The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
D.Rex

Project Red Rider

Hey everybody, I'm relatively new to the forum here but I thought this would be the best place to share a project we are building at my shop. We started with what we thought was a pretty clean '69 C10 short bed stepside but what we got after media blasting was a nightmare. The previous owner sure liked bondo! A couple trips through the LMC catalog later we have all the parts we need to put her back together.

The plan is more resto-rod than show truck. We want this thing to be a daily driver. The plans include:

Appearance:
a 2-4 drop with new spindles up front, disc brake conversion, composite headlight conversion, custom paint job inside and out, hidden MP3 capable stereo, new oak bed, Autometer Ultralight gauges, custom tail lights, and the whole thing will sit on 20" wheels and BFG G-Force drag radials.

Drivetrain:
383 stroker SBC spec'd for 460hp/480lb.ft. naturally aspirated, beefed up B&M TH400 transmission, B&M holeshot 2400rpm converter, beefed up 12 bolt rear with Moser axles and Eaton Posi

Here's what we started with. Don't let its looks deceive you, this thing was a mess under all that pretty red paint.

Red Rider Before by dieseljunkie, on Flickr
D.Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
D.Rex

Re: Project Red Rider

Here's what we have now

This cab corner was pushed in nearly 1/2" and full of bondo

Cab Corner Repaired by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

The frame, ready for blasting

Frame Stripped by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

The cab before media blasting

Cab Off by dieseljunkie, on Flickr
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
D.Rex

Still working at it today. The new cab floor supports are going in today as well as the new rockers. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping we can get to primer by tomorrow. Pics to follow soon.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
D.Rex

I promised some progress pics and here they are. We got the cab back on the frame this morning with brand new mounts from LMC. Also, I'm not usually one to endorse products but I have to say that U-POL Raptor Liner is awesome! We used it as undercoating on the cab and coated the frame. I know it's not the nice paint job that most people want on a restoration or hot rod frame but I'd rather have this thing tough as nails than super pretty underneath. Check it out.

Cab ready for primer by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

New Front Cab Mount by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

Trans Tunnel and Frame Finished by dieseljunkie, on Flickr

Rear cab ready for primer by dieseljunkie, on Flickr