The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
daveccpa

Brake lights help

Trying to fix the wiring issues with my truck. Tail lights work but when I step on brake something clicks in the restat and then the lights go out. A few seconds later they work.

Additionally I have no working turn signals. I have power to the flasher but nothing out of it.

Any ideas would be great.
daveccpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
JumboAMONGus

Re: Brake lights help

what truck i just redid my wires for brake and turn signals , there are wire diagrams in color also on google i found and they show the head light switch as well , to see where the wires go ,
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
mr48chev

1. What model of truck are you working on as the answers will be different if it has stock wiring.

2. What has been changed in the wiring or other parts and pieces related to the turn signals and brakes?

3. Different steering column?
If so what?

It's really hard to guess what you are working with and give you a viable answer.

I looked at your profile and you have no listing of any truck in it.

1 side note if it's an AD truck with an aftermarket turn signal switch that clamps on the column you quite often have to run and extra pair of light just for the turn signals on the back. If the truck came with a factory turn signal switch in the column you have to run the brake light wiring from the flasher to the turn signal switch it feeds from there to the lights when you hit the brake pedal.

Give us the rest of the info and we will try to see if we can collectively come up with an answer and a plan.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
daveccpa

Sorry the truck is a 59 gmc 1/2 ton Fleetside. Everything is stock. However the previous owners did some of their own wiring which I am trying to fix. They had wired up a trailer tow hitch in the back and added a bunch of wires that I've now removed.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Daze57

i am sure you can find a diagram for what you need . give it a day or 2 i am sure someone will post one for you .
lots of good help and guys on this forum
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
dubie

It seems like someone has a couple wires crossed. The tail lights and turn signals run the same and the brake lights are separate. It sounds like you have the brake lights wired into the tail lights and the signals aren't hooked to anything

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
daveccpa

They certainly could be crossed but the taillights work fine with just the head lights on. Its when the brake pedal is pressed that they pop off and stop working. Release the brake pedal and a few seconds later the tail lights come back on.

I think the turn signals not working is a whole different problem because I've got nothing up front for turn signals working either.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
JumboAMONGus

i have a black wire under neath cab goes to the tail lights only , or running lights , then a separate orange and purple and a white , ones for left ones for right turn signals then the white i think is brake , turn signals and brake are on the same ,and mine to was switched some where,,,
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
OrrieG

google 59 truck light wiring diagram and ones will pop up for with and without factory turn signals. The ones I have are to large of files to post here. My guess is the trailer wiring fubar'd up the back routing.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
daveccpa

Okay got a lot of it solved today. However still have an odd issue. Both taillights work fine. Drivers side brake light works properly. However the passenger side only lights the dimmer of the filaments and only with the lights off. I switched the wires at the tail light and same result.

I know that the brake and turns run thu the same wire and wonder if the problem involves the turn signal switch. I've got no working turn signals front or rear.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
JumboAMONGus

i had trouble till i found out i was hooking it up on the wrong prong on the headlight switch then i found a colored diagram of the switch on google ,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
1project2many

The passenger side dim filament lights when you apply the brakes and the lights are off?
Will the tail light work if you don't press the brake?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
daveccpa

Yes the passenger dim filament lights when the brake is depressed and lights are off. Yes the tail light works with the lights on. I'm going to take off the steering wheel tonight and see if the turn signal switch is not cancelling itself on that side.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
dubie

usually if you have one light brighter than the other, it has to do with a bad ground. That would be the first place I would be checking

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
daveccpa

I think that is part of the problem. I also think that the turn signals not working has to do with the fact that the fronts are completely disconnected right now and I need them connected in order for the 3 way flasher to work.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
1project2many

Definitely check the ground at that passenger side light. Use a jumper wire connected to the light socket and to a ground point on the frame and see if the problem goes away.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote