The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

My version of the dash speaker upgrade

I did a lot of searching on here for what people have done to upgrade the center dash speaker. The options are fairly limited due to the obvious lack of space. I have personally never seen a set of kick panel speakers that I liked; many of them are well done, but I think its the lack of originality that kept me from doing them. For top notch audio quality, a set of 6"ish kick panel speakers coupled with another set in the cab corners or behind the seat would provide the best sound. Since this truck will be mostly a garage queen and I wont be traveling long distances requiring a nice stereo, I decided to use the stock dash speaker location.

I am using the RetroSound Zuma head unit. I chose the Alpine SPS-410 4" shallow mount 2-way speakers. I picked these for their good reviews and shallow 1- 11/16" mounting depth.

I then cut a piece of sheet metal I had laying around to mount the speakers into. I placed them on it as close as possible and traced how much was needed to cut out.

I found the center and mounted the factory speaker bracket to it. This screws into the firewall, and originally the 4x10" speaker bracket was attached.

Then I used a small 90* die grinder with a cutting wheel to cut out the holes. Not sure of what tool would have worked any better, I had to cut it out like a stop sign and then round off the corners. (They aren't the prettiest, but once the speakers are mounted you'll never notice)

Then mounted the speakers in the holes. I had to bend the steel a bit so the speakers would point towards the dash more, and leave more clearance for the top of the radio when it is installed.

This has got to be one of the most difficult areas to work on in these trucks. There is no easy way to get your hands in there. Here are some pics of the speakers mounted. There looks to be plenty of room for the radio head unit. The only thing that i may need to add is an extra support from this speaker bracket to either the firewall or perhaps the top of the radio. These speakers are fairly heavy for their size and i think the bracket may bounce a little too much in this leaf-sprung 4x4 short bed. Anyone who has driven one knows what I mean!

This last pic is taken with the camera sitting on the seat, it makes it look like the speakers are hanging down but they are not. This setup has yet to be road tested, so comments and suggestions are welcome!! I am about 6 months away from completion on this thing and cant wait. Let me know what you all think!
'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: My version of the dash speaker upgrade

-
Don't know why that won't work. Do those two speakers cover all ranges? By that I mean you don't need a bass and a tweeter? I'm radio and speaker challenged so I hope that makes sense...

Anyway, it looks good. I hope it works out for you.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
swamp rat

Per your comment about adding extra support, you have a screw sticking down that is for the dash pad, i just used that when i installed my speaker, i forget what i used as a bracket but it gave just enough support to hold it up to the dash grill.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Don't know why that won't work. Do those two speakers cover all ranges? By that I mean you don't need a bass and a tweeter? I'm radio and speaker challenged so I hope that makes sense...
LockDoc

His speakers are Coaxial meaning it has a tweeter and a mid/bass range speaker, i'm sure that Alpine has a whole series of these speakers in different sizes, if you put its 6" brother next to the 4" speaker the 6" will produce more bass and a bit fuller sound but still nothing in the sub range..If you look at the box you will see a little yellow cylinder on one of the speakers, that's a frequency range blocking capacitor to keep some of the bass frequency from being produced by the speaker, basically that small of a speaker will not last if trying to reproduce the full bass range of sound..

I'm sure these speakers are leaps and bounds better than the funny looking oval speaker i got from Retro sound.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-

Anyway, it looks good. I hope it works out for you.

LockDoc
Swamp Rat pretty much nailed it, in the rear cab corners I will also be running a set of 6-3/4" Focal Audio component speakers along with one 10" Kicker L3 Square solo-baric subwoofer. Both of those running off a 5-channel amp. Altogether it should have nice sound. I mostly listen to 90's country and classic rock (no hip-hop) so i think this system will serve me well.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: My version of the dash speaker upgrade

Good idea and it should work out fine, 1 suggestion though. U have are should have a bracket in the radio box for the rear of the radio, use it to support the radio and the speakers both once U have it installed. I have been just setting the 2 speakers on top of the radio and using them. This is a great idea and I thank U for it. I have something to do today now.I will try and take pictures as well when I do this.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
67 chevelle

Big improvement over stock , I have a couple suggestions , I use the old housing , and cut the stock speaker out and install 2 new ones just like you did , 2 things to look out for , make sure the housing seals around where it mounts to the dash , you should not have gaps for air movement between the surface you are mounting to , this actually makes a huge difference in sound , and make sure nothing is touching the rubber gasket around the edge of the speaker , as again this makes a huge difference in sound , looking from above I can see wires from the top side of your dash , that air movement will cancel out a lot of sound
quality , and volume
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
His speakers are Coaxial meaning it has a tweeter and a mid/bass range speaker, i'm sure that Alpine has a whole series of these speakers in different sizes, if you put its 6" brother next to the 4" speaker the 6" will produce more bass and a bit fuller sound but still nothing in the sub range..If you look at the box you will see a little yellow cylinder on one of the speakers, that's a frequency range blocking capacitor to keep some of the bass frequency from being produced by the speaker, basically that small of a speaker will not last if trying to reproduce the full bass range of sound..

I'm sure these speakers are leaps and bounds better than the funny looking oval speaker i got from Retro sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfs200p View Post
Swamp Rat pretty much nailed it, in the rear cab corners I will also be running a set of 6-3/4" Focal Audio component speakers along with one 10" Kicker L3 Square solo-baric subwoofer. Both of those running off a 5-channel amp. Altogether it should have nice sound. I mostly listen to 90's country and classic rock (no hip-hop) so i think this system will serve me well.

Thanks for the explanation guys. I may have to try that on the '70...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: My version of the dash speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 chevelle View Post
Big improvement over stock , I have a couple suggestions , I use the old housing , and cut the stock speaker out and install 2 new ones just like you did , 2 things to look out for , make sure the housing seals around where it mounts to the dash , you should not have gaps for air movement between the surface you are mounting to , this actually makes a huge difference in sound , and make sure nothing is touching the rubber gasket around the edge of the speaker , as again this makes a huge difference in sound , looking from above I can see wires from the top side of your dash , that air movement will cancel out a lot of sound
quality , and volume
I will mount the speaker flush to the new metal and use some sealer also This will let the new plate sit flush to the underside of dash. I hope anyway. I'll post what I do when I start to install. Thanks!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Here are the updates so far. I have the plate cut and the speakers mounted. I took it back a part to paint the plate. I'll post the final pictures when I do the final mount. Right now it's just sitting there but it's a tight fit. I have to figure out how to mount it so it want rattle. The first speaker is turned so the screws would go by the mount the second one will keep it from going to far toward the drivers side but I need to secure it so it want rattle.

Any idea's on what, how to do it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 12-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
guzzidude

I would have liked to have done this, but someone cut my doors and installed pioneers. I guess I will leave them since filling the doors will be a bit more work.

Andy, what is the output on the Memphis speakers? Also you have AC and there's room? Cool thread guys.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
Daddy Brim

I did the same thing over the summer. I used piece of wood to mount the speakers to. I plan to ad some bigger speakers somewhere later.
Attached Images

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Quote:
Per your comment about adding extra support, you have a screw sticking down that is for the dash pad, i just used that when i installed my speaker, i forget what i used as a bracket but it gave just enough support to hold it up to the dash grill.
I think thats exactly what I will do. Of course the radio came in today and I got all excited and mounted it in there, but forgot to add my extra support bracket for the speakers. Guess I will have to pull it out again. It looks awesome though! I will get some pics, there were no clearance issues with the speakers
Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
swamp rat

Make sure the speakers movement in and out will not allow them to hit the grill, take and build a border around your mounting plate to seal the air and keep the speakers from hitting the grill at the same time.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 12-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: My version of the dash speaker upgrade

Quote:
Make sure the speakers movement in and out will not allow them to hit the grill, take and build a border around your mounting plate to seal the air and keep the speakers from hitting the grill at the same time.
I had thought about putting a lip around the plate to give it room and to seal it off.
Yea I had to turn the speakers around on the plate once I got them in place. I think now I wilol use some strips of the metal to tie the plate down to the AC vent nut and bolt. This should keep it from rattling I hope.

I have the 2 speakers only hooked to the radio so they will handle it fine but I will look and see what they are rated at and post it.
PS I just bought these to install as well. I bought the ones without the speaker holes cut so I can do whatever size I want.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Grumpy old man

A small piece of speaker grill material glued to the underside of the dash grill would sure clean up the view from above and help keep dust and dirt from laying on top of your speakers in plain site in an area that is hard to keep clean already .also a 4 " hole saw or a saber saw with a bi metal blade works wonders .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: My version of the dash speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzidude View Post
I would have liked to have done this, but someone cut my doors and installed pioneers. I guess I will leave them since filling the doors will be a bit more work.

Andy, what is the output on the Memphis speakers? Also you have AC and there's room? Cool thread guys.
According to the website 15-30 RMS watts which is a little small I think for the radio. It has 40 per channel supposedly.

On the magnet 15-pr32v2 3 1/2" speaker
Yea I had to do some moving around of the plate for it to fit but it worked out OK. I'm going to do some more tweeking on it before final install though.
The problem I had was sliding the plate in after putting the AC vent back in place. I would like to get the speakers more in the middle of the opening in the dash that what I have now if I can.

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...xial-speakers/

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Sorry didn't take anymore pictures but it's mounted. I ended up tie it down to the center AC nuts with metal peices I cut from the sheet of plate. Painted it all nice black. I couldn't find the speaker covers so for right now it's just like it was in the pictures. I'll look more for them because I know I didn't throw them away.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
elf w/capital T

Pretty darn good ideas!! Thanks!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #20
Billett

I made a thread pretty similar to this one a while back. I used mdf to mount the speakers so there were no rattles from the metal vibrating. I used infinity speakers, but the principal is the same. 5 channel amp with two more speakers in boxes under the seat. I'll get a pair of subs someday too, but not for a while.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
Billett

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=547373
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote