The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
srvhemi

67 Short Stepper Rebel Son

My Name is Jay. I go by Johnny Rebel. I am here to start a thread on my 1967 Chevy C10 shortbed step side. I have spent some time recently looking at everyone elses projects. I have been on mine for well over a year now, have taken sooo many pictures of the process. I have gotten discouraged many times along the way, and want to share my experience with others. I hope to encounter other people familiar with the process of restoring one of these trucks. I have new questions almost everyday. And I figure what better way to mingle with a very specific group of people who would be knowledgeable, and able to assist me in answering such questions, as well being able to answer questions others might have. I have seen threads from people building super high end customs to people just putting a truck together to use as a daily driver. I am new, and have to get familiar with how to do things.

This was the day I got her back in April 2014
Attached Images

srvhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Xeen

Re: 67 Short Stepper Rebel Son

Welcome to the board.
Head over to Imgur, it is one of the better photo hosting sites, easy to use with good management and lots of photo sizes to choose from, it's what I use and I really like it.
www.imgur.com
There is a time limit for non-members for post editing, it's something like 10 minutes, if you want the ability to edit your posts at any time you need to buy a membership, it's inexpensive like $25 per year.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
srvhemi

again
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #4
mcbassin
Still Learning

Welcome to the truck board! Looking forward to following along!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
srvhemi

another
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
srvhemi

more
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Bomp

Looks like a cool project.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvhemi View Post
how do i delete a post completely? as in, i put one up, and i just want to delete it?
I think you need to be a subscribing member to delete a post.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
Justin@EntropyRad

Looked killer in yellow, but nice work inside too!
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Justin@EntropyRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
srvhemi

more pics. some pics are from mock up stage only. my friend and i have taken this truck apart and put it back together so many times that we could probably do it in the dark at this point. guages are from classic instruments, shifter is from lokar.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
srvhemi

I definitely have things I need to figure out about using the board and thread/ posting pictures. Im really not into computers/ social media type stuff. I wanted to give a description of my plans for this truck. So I bought the truck in pretty complete condition. It didnt run or drive. I got it from a guy in my neighborhood like 8 blocks away. we pulled it to my house. The original plan was to put nice 20" rims on it, redo the interior (modern throughout) straighten body, do limited rust repair, drop it as low as possible without air bags/ notching frame, change awful yellow to anything else (had a color called cinder red by oakley sunglasses) that I wanted to paint it, but when I found out how much overall paint jobs were going for nowadays, i almost **** myself. The truck ended up not being at all what I thought it was (I didnt do enough upon inspection, totally my fault, I was too eager to get a shortbed stepside in what appeared to be great condition. Half of the stuff that was supposed to be there wasnt. The other part of my original plan was to get the motor to 400 hp at the rear wheels. I had a guy who was gonna build this truck out with me. I was putting up the money (taking all the risk). He was my motor/ tranny guy. Im a body guy. I can make em look pretty as hell. I mean I change my own oil, plugs, wires, brakes, stuff like that. I have gone as far as putting a new intake manifod, throttle body, cold air intake on my 99 dodge ram. But Ive always been scared to get into the internals of a motor. So anyway, I had this guy to do that part. We were looking for a couple weeks (looked at at least 6 trucks) before we got this one. And a big part of buying this one was that this guy (we will call him Frucky) said he could have the truck running in a day, two days tops. We both had a dream of building hotrods, he was a good wrench (I worked with him at a job for years, knew him pretty well). He was very Mcguiverish, dude could fix just about anything with a motor. He was kinda out there, but a hard working, honest guy. He came to my place 4 or 5 times, and the truck wasnt only NOT running, but I had already torn most of it down. Im super good at tearing **** apart, its the putting back together that gets me caught up most times.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
srvhemi

ok. so now I know you cant swear on here, not even ****, which they say on TV now. Anyway, to continue my story.

So I was already irritated a week into this project. Also important note: Im not patient. We didnt argue or fight about it. I was just like, Dude, WTF? you said a day or 2. i gave him an advance, cuz he was in a tight spot, and never heard from him again. so, at this point, i had to rethink my game plan. I knew what I wanted the truck to be/ look like when I was done, but didnt really know how to get there. I knew I needed to do the things I could, without help. So I worked on it, when I was up to it. (I have had 2 kidney transplants, am in end stage renal disease, on dialysis 3 times a week, have diabetes, hypertension, chronic pain, and depression) just to name a few. So when I say "when I was up to it" its not very often. I had a budget that I started with ( and it was realistic) that would get this truck flipped and make me a nice little profit so I could move on to the next project. I flip flopped around on how i was going to proceed. I was gonna go all out, frame off resto mod, then i was just gonna get a solid truck together and get it gone. I have done so much work at this point and put so much money in this thing that I w ill be happy just to not lose a bunch on it. I will never get any money for the time I put in it, but I have gained a lot of experience and knowledge about these trucks. I will probably do another one, once this one. I had a Schwanns delivery guy start talking to me about the truck one day (as many people do) when they see the truck. So i told him my story about the guy who abandoned the project on me. He told me about a relative of his who was looking for a little extra income. So I ended up meeting him and hes been helping me sporadically ever since. He usually comes once a week, and he has helped me get a lot done. He is a really good wrench, and budding fabricator. It currently runs. (though open headers are ridiculously loud in a residential setting. Its not a driver yet. it is driveable, but not like down the road driveable. I have almost all the parts to finish the truck out. Every inch of sheet metal has been taken down to bare metal, rust repair all done. It is in rattle can primer so it doesnt start to rust again. I am working on staining the wood bed slats now. I have stained and sanded them 3 times now. Not because I wanted to, but because I keep getting fuzzies/ dust in the stain. I have been like surgically clean in my surface prep (like prepping a car) and I cant figure out wtf i'm doing wrong. theres absolutely zero dust prior to applying the stain. I have watched so many youtube vids and read many forums and am not finding a solution to my problem. I had my bed all glass blasted, then sanded it all down and got primer on it. i had sanded down the frame rails, trailing arms , and such and primered and undercoated all that.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
srvhemi

Im at a loss on something with the bed, and hopefully someone can help me. I have 3 TALL cross sills and 2 SHORT ones. I may not have the right ones, or the right number, I dont know. I have done a lot of research on it, but nothing that has helped so far. At the front of the bed (near the cab) I have the first tall cross sill (the holes in the sill that should line up with the mount holes on the frame dont. I measured the other 2 sills and the holes are the same on them. Behind that 1st sill is the 2nd sill (a tall one) and these mount holes arent even close. the mounts on the frame are like stepped out wider. then i have a short one 3rd in line ( i believe the short ones are only there for the boards/ strips to bolt to. then the frame crossmember, then another short one, then frame crossmember, then another tall sill (holes dont line up to frame) then theres the rear most sill, which is part of the bed directly under the tailgate. it has like an attachment point on either side that is not even close to sitting over the last two holes in the frame.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #14
swamp rat

Hit the dried stain with some 1500 grit or 2000 grit sand paper and see if that helps, do a small spot first and have a look, i did this with the trim on my house.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #15
srvhemi

Hey guys, Ive been searching 350 top end kits. theres a lot out there. wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best way to get to 400 at the rear wheels without spending too much money. Also, would love suggestions on best way to make it a true posi. I dont know wether rebuilding whats there is best way to go, or getting a whole new rear end?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #16
Xeen

In order to get 400+ horsepower at the rear wheels you will need a supercharged LS2 or similar set up so you are looking at about $7,000.00 USD.
Here is an example of a posi unit for a 12-bolt http://www.ebay.com/itm/19587-010-Ea...432e83&vxp=mtr
Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #17
srvhemi

Brian, Thanks for the input. I want to take a different approach here. I originally said I wanted 400 horse at the rear wheels and true posi. So Im gonna put what I want in a different way and maybe it will make it easier for suggestions. I want this truck to be able to burn off a SET of toyo proxes 295/45R20 tires.I now understand that limited slip is posi. 400 was the number I had in mind, but I definitely dont want a supercharger and I definitely dont want to spend more than 2000 (on the motor) and I only want to make top end changes (theres tons of top end kits out there for SBC). If I get the Eaton diff, will it just bolt in and done, or is there tedious work involved? All I really KNOW at this point is that this motor is very underwhelming. Im not building this for myself, but I know how gratifying the smile is that graces someones face when they stomp the pedal down and it comes out sideways and smoke is rolling out the back. So I need for this truck to be mean, but I cant spend more than 2g. Its a fresh 350 , and its clean, so I would think this not too tall an order.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #18
summitflier

Rear wheel horse-power is over-rated.
If you think about it, any gear that isn't over drive should increase
your horsepower and torque. Anyone who sells you an engine and tells you
what your rear wheel power is without putting it on a dyno is guessing.
Everyone's differential gearing, transmission gearing and tire size is different.
05 Ram 1500 5.7L

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676545
summitflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #19
srvhemi

got membership, now trying to figure out how to use features

1999 Dodge Ram Sport 1500 4x4 (my baby)
2013 Dodge Durango R/T (wifes ride)
2015 Dodge Challenger HELLCAT (my next car)

MY BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7250442
Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #20
srvhemi

mocking up new seats
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #21
srvhemi

more mock up interior pieces. there will be a shifter boot over slot where shifter goes through console
Attached Images

Last edited by srvhemi; 07-28-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #22
srvhemi

rocker panel needed replacing
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #23
srvhemi

frame progress
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #24
srvhemi

progress
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #25
srvhemi

primer
Attached Images