The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
79 silverado
Account Suspended

LS3 525hp and a 76swb.... lost motivation

So as a result of an impulse buy a while back I have a new LS3 engine here (GM part no 19301360) sitting in its GM crate that the original plan was to eventually swap in to the 76 Silverado.... said truck being the same one that every few months I hmmm and haw over getting rid of because I just don't know that my heart is into it. (bought it from its 30+ year prior owner pretty much because it had a 30+ year prior owner) Not sure if or how many of these are running around in a square body either which would have been a fun idea, but still...

I'm really not thinking that the motivation/desire to see it through just is there to be honest with you. Ok, I know the motivation/desire to see it through isn't there. I have a black/black with red interior truck that is ready to build, and what I want is a blue/white with blue interior truck that just plain works and is ready to enjoy.

Nothing has been taken apart or worked on... actually, the original 350 still runs and drives (albeit with a noisy top end valve/??? that goes away when warmed up, and with a leaking front brake hose but does run and drive) and I'm wondering... do you guys think the truck/collection of parts would be appealing to a buyer as is or would I need to split it up? What do you think it would bring? for what it is worth all this stuff is in Georgia.

Obviously there is a ton of money in buying/accumulating this truck and parts, and it doesn't have everything needed for the swap either.... just some new/used parts for the truck in stock form plus a big ol honkin engine in a crate.

Thoughts?
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: LS3 525hp and a 76swb.... lost motivation

I would say split it up. You open up your buyers alot.

Square bodies are catching on, but not many people will spring for the full package. Even if it were a more desirable year.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
meter swinger

I think you will do better splitting it up. Usually the buyer gets the deal on a bundle. I would work on selling one thing at a time. The truck first, fix the brake hose get the truck clean clean clean and for the love of god take quality pics. One crummy cell pic wont cut it. I would advertise the crate engine online like crazy at the start of tax return season. Bits and pieces i would hold onto since you say want another square.
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If the truck you have is not what you want, clean it up and sell it. That motor is the best bang for the buck on a 500+hp crate. i would keep it for your next project unless you want me to come pick it up right now....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
That motor is the best bang for the buck on a 500+hp crate. i would keep it for your next project unless you want me to come pick it up right now....
The other half of the equation is we recently closed on a new-to-us older home down here so I have more than enough work to keep busy without a drivetrain swap anyways... By the time I am ready to again who knows what will be available out there

But then again, you really don't want to make a 1500 mile round trip drive all the way out here to buy my aluminum paperweight do you?
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
MalibuSSwagon

I say don't force it if you're not into the truck, fix the little things and sell it for a decent price. LS3 can go into anything.......
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
crashz

I've run into this more than once. Last year I bought a Bobcat and began a side business. But my costs, storage location and availble time limited me to the point that it is not making money. In fact it has netted a loss of nearly $10K at this point. This, plus my two old prepetual project trucks do not make the wife happy. I have to make a decision, and since I won't get rid of the 83, and the 87 is worthless unless its running well, the Bobcat needs to go.

There is only so much availible time, money and energy. When you run out of one, its hard to keep progress and motivation.

I think you shouls sell both and buy Yezzi's project rtruck BlueJ when he's done. It will be a show room condition truck that is just what you want.

Last edited by crashz; 12-23-2013 at 10:53 AM.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote