The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
rblcori7

305 not starting??

Ok guys I am in need of some help. I have an 84 K10 that isn't starting. I checked the fuses to make sure nothing was blown and they are all good. I replaced the Ignition coil a little over a month ago bc it fried on me. so I thought maybe it went out again and replaced it and no go. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last summer. I know im getting fuel in the Carb. I took a spark plug out and checked to see if im getting spark and nothing. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!

2011 Silverado LTZ
rblcori7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: 305 not starting??

HEI module is shot.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
rblcori7

Thanks Geezer, is there a way to check it or am I in the realm of replace part by part until it fires up?

2011 Silverado LTZ
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
rblcori7

Does anyone have any other ideas or isit fairly certain that is what is wrong.

2011 Silverado LTZ
Old 03-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
geezer#99

Didn't like my suggestion eh!! LOL!!!
Another thought!
Coil and cap wiring. Make sure the wiring and especially the ground is good. I recall someone having a bad ground wire causing a no start.
While a new module might not cure it, it's always good to carry a spare.
Here's a link.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/elect...istributor.dlp
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
rblcori7

Ohh no its not that I didnt like your suggestion I was wondering if there was anyway to test the module to see if that was my problem. There are only two things people have suggested the module or the pick up coil. Autozone has the module for $40 in stock, the pick up coil they have to order for 30 or so. I guess it boils down to I dont want to buy one of the parts not be it to turn around and buy the other.

On a side note Those are the only two things that I thought it could of originally been after I replaced the coil.

2011 Silverado LTZ
Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I'm sure you already checked but if you haven't, make sure you have the 12vdc going to the distributer. If you have 12vdc going in and nothing coming out then in order of probabilities the module and coil are the first suspects (some auto parts can test the module).

The next thing that I've seen is pin hole short in the rotor, and as mentioned, ground wire problem on the coil and connector wiring problems. I once had one that had intermittently would die on me and rather than easter egg it, I picked one up at a salvage yard for $40. They told me if it didn't work, they had several others.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
rblcori7

I checked and its reading 11 and some change voltages on the red wire for the coil

2011 Silverado LTZ
Old 03-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
rblcori7

Ok 68GMSEE I just took the distributor cap off and I am curious. The 4 pin connector was not connected and the pin A and C have been crimped together. So would that mean the HEI module would not be used?

2011 Silverado LTZ
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
rblcori7

To put a happy end on this thread ad give a final answer for anyone down the road who may have this issue in the future.

1. I took a volt meter and checked the two pins going into the ignition control module and it was receiving the 12v signal to it so I knew everything up to that point was good to go.

2. I checked the pick up coil with an ohm meter to make sure it was not faulty and it checked out good

3. I decided to take the module into the local auto parts store so they could hook it up to verify it was faulty. They ran the module up and it was found to be broken. Before purchasing the new one I asked them to test it prior to verify it was good.

4. Got the new module installed and the truck fired right up.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OFTHE HELP AND INFORMATION.

2011 Silverado LTZ
Old 03-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblcori7 View Post
Ok 68GMSEE I just took the distributor cap off and I am curious. The 4 pin connector was not connected and the pin A and C have been crimped together. So would that mean the HEI module would not be used?
I'm not sure why it was disconnected and I'm not familiar with the mod on these distributors but you might want to look through this post and pic in post 5. Someone else that has done it may chime in and explain it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=58641

If after plugging connector it still won't fire it does not exclude the module still being bad, though. Call around and see if there's an auto parts store that tests them.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
68gmsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblcori7 View Post
To put a happy end on this thread ad give a final answer for anyone down the road who may have this issue in the future.

1. I took a volt meter and checked the two pins going into the ignition control module and it was receiving the 12v signal to it so I knew everything up to that point was good to go.

2. I checked the pick up coil with an ohm meter to make sure it was not faulty and it checked out good

3. I decided to take the module into the local auto parts store so they could hook it up to verify it was faulty. They ran the module up and it was found to be broken. Before purchasing the new one I asked them to test it prior to verify it was good.

4. Got the new module installed and the truck fired right up.

A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OFTHE HELP AND INFORMATION.
hahah.. Just sent my last email just after yours and before noticing you had found the problem. Glad you found out the problem and got it going.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 AM   #13
geezer#99

One more thing to add!
When they test the modules at the parts store it could test good but fail when it heats up.
Even testing a new one isn't reliable due to the heat factor.
Just something to keep in mind.