The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Malice

52' chassis

Building a 52' 5 window. So I've got to decide on either a s10 swap or an all new chassis. Been looking at a gt sport chassis from art Morrison or a tci chassis and coil over suspension.

I am hoping the guys here and give me an idea of how much cost difference I am looking at between these options. I've heard the s10 is a lot more work and doesn't match up perfect.

Is it worth the savings to go the s10? My end goal is a pickup that I can have as a daily driver. 85 down the freeway. Zip in and out of traffic. I'm sure you have all seen the old farm truck that art Morrison has done. Can you get close to that kind of drivability with an s10.

Also thoughts between tci and art Morrison?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
torchlight

Re: 52' chassis

I don't know much about pricing, but yes the S10 option is going to be a lot more work than a chassis that is custom built to fit perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device
torchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Malice

I'd be ok with the work but it's really about price vs performance for me really.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
focusedontheprize

You should check out the project page. A lot of guys go with the S10 route.

Strictly in price I don't think an S10 swap coat savings is much larger than buying an Art chassis.
Posted via Mobile Device
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Malice

If there isn't much coat savings then why would anyone go that route? I mean even if there was a 3k cost savings is it worth it. It looks to me that the s10 wouldn't come even close to performing as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
RedneckRodder

For me, the savings was the selling point for the S-10. I have a decent looking rig that rides 100% better than a stock AD, and I have less than $4K total investment. That being said, my truck doesn't ride like a corvette, but it doesn't ride like a 63 year old farm rig either.

The S-10 extended cab long bed frame is less than 1/2" off from the AD wheelbase, you don't even notice the difference. I got mine for $200, but I've seen them go for nothing.

It all just depends on what you want the end result to be.
Posted via Mobile Device
RedneckRodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
Malice

Yeah. 4k vs 15k. That's a pretty big difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
Malice

Ok, so I think alot of my concerns about the the actual installation and fab that's goes into te swap. Doesn't seem too bad. I also have a great metal guy who can help me with all of it.

After hours of searching though I have still yet to find someone to give a good review of how their truck drives and handles on their s10 chassis. I know alot depends on if it's all stock or not but.... I was first looking at an art chassis which can perform like a vette and slalom through the cones at 65+. I don't expect that obviously. I'll be spending about 10k less for an s10 frame.

Also. I have yet to see anyone out anything other than a v6 in their trucks with an s10. So that raises the question.... Is that chassis enough to handle some power? I've been thinking I wanted a 5.3l with a turbo attached to it. Around 550 hp. I'm worried its too much and an s10 just isn't Beefy enough.

Thoughts and feelings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
parkwood

what is the matter with your stock frame? boxing it and putting in a 4 bar rear with coil overs and a Mll front end with rack steering would be a easy way to go and get a good ride and handling.. i would like to show you some pictures but can't make them small enough to post now that they changed everything..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
parkwood

ok take it back about pictures.. look at my build thread and you can see what i did to a '51 stock frame.. its on air but rides nice..
Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
Pop's C-10

they make a kit to put vette suspension on your chassis

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491077
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
msaintg

My .02 is you are overthinking this. People put V8s in S10s all the time without issue. If money is an issue... S10s are a very cheap way to vastly improve the original truck performance. If you just want to impress people with "it has corvette this", or "Art chassis" that, AND money is no option, then build a show truck. There are purists that say improve the old frame with suspension mods, and others who say S10. It really is very simple to make body mounts for the S10 frame... easier than changing a front clip, IMO. Something that NOBODY ever talks about is this>>> The stock frame is high in the middle (all tranny and drivetrain stuff hangs down below the frame about 5") whereas the S10 frame is a 'swayback' design, that is why you have to put mounts on it to raise the cab up to the 'stock' possition. (but the tranny does NOT hang down below the frame.... so IF you are going to set low, I think it is better to drag frame than tranny) Like I said earlier... it is just my .02, but I think the S10 drivetrain was the right choice for me, and I LOVE how it rides, handles, etc. (side note: IMO 4 links are THE way to go for offroad vehicles that need articulation, but overkill and unnecessary for a street vehicle (obviously if you are going to bag it, you need 4 link to do that) Leaf springs in the rear are very simple and perform well... just my opinion, don't bite my head off guys
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Malice

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkwood View Post
what is the matter with your stock frame? boxing it and putting in a 4 bar rear with coil overs and a Mll front end with rack steering would be a easy way to go and get a good ride and handling.. i would like to show you some pictures but can't make them small enough to post now that they changed everything..
The problem with my stock frame is... I don't have one. Cab and sheet metal only at this point. Lots of people have recommended the s10 but maybe i just need to go find a stock frame and do the MII front clip.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post
The problem with my stock frame is... I don't have one. Cab and sheet metal only at this point. Lots of people have recommended the s10 but maybe i just need to go find a stock frame and do the MII front clip.
ok that clears that up... with all the s10 swaps you should be able to find one easy...
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Malice

Thanks for the feed back Mike. Yours looks great. Love the ride height. I've really been surprised how little people talk about how they like driving on the s10 frames. Alot of people talk about the fab work and how it is to install but I figured there would be more people talking about how the truck actually drives or what they did to improve the ride. Idk... Maybe I just haven't look hard enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
MIKESAD50

Which way did you end up going?
MIKESAD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
Malice

Well, since the last post. Things have changed a little for me. I got married. So.... the project got put on hold. I did pick up a pickup that was pretty clean. very minimal rust and it is sitting on an s10 frame. However..... I'm not going that route. My brother decided to do a build with me. We are currently in the process of finding him a truck and then we are going to buy Art Morrison chassis. The same one they did on the farm truck. It's going to be more money but.... It will be one hell of a ride when we get done! Who needs a corvette when you have an old truck that drives like one.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #18
MIKESAD50

I'm pretty sure that is the route I'm going. I have a 50 5 window. Art Morrison chassis and LS3 connect and cruise engine trans combo.
MIKESAD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #19
Malice

I'm thinking 5.3l. I've read alot on what they can do with those motors and it's going to help with the budget since I'm going the Art Morrison route. I haven't decided on the trans set up yet. Maybe a 4l60e or 4l80e. I'm going to have that 5.3l pushing about 500+hp. I'd really like to have a small amount of boost and hit the 600hp range. It's all very possible. I just need to do a little more research to make sure its the right trans and can hold everything I throw at it. Maybe someone else has some input on the subject but this will be a daily driver. So i can gear it all so low that it's only good for a 1/4 mile. I also want decent economy considering the power. What do you guys suggest for a trans and read end set up?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #20
MARTINSR

Here is a thread with a good discussion on frame "swaps". http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=614784

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
Malice

Great agreement for the chassis swap. Gotta know your expectations and your budget. I will be going the art morrison chassis. Partly because I'm still young and dumb I drive aggressive. I can't justify buying a corvette because in 5 to 10 years it's old news. (Personal opinion. You don't have to agree) if you have seen the icon thriftmaster. Now I'm not saying that's in my budget. But owner of icon. Jonathan ward said it best. In 10 years these trucks will still be vogue. They still will turn heads and never be out of style. I however want it to handle drive and give me everything I want in a sports car.

The few things I need to figure out though is the trans and gearing. I've got a lot of research still but that's half the fun!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #22
mr48chev

Good choice for a chassis. If I had the beans I'd seriously think about it myself as they are 180 miles from me and it would be an easy run over there to pick one up and bring it home.
After you have been on here for a while you will figure out that it's a great bunch of folks who have every build budget under the sun from serious low buck to the other end of the spectrum where they can build what ever they decide to with fairly unlimited budgets.

You will also find out that we throw out just as big a variety of suggestions. Some think a totally stock chassis is the only way to go or a stock chassis with a dropped axle and lowering blocks, a good number have drank the S-10 Kool aid and think everyone should run and S-10 because they feel that is the economical or cheap way to get a modern chassis. Still others like a stock frame with independent front suspension or independent on both ends on the stock frame and most of us only dream of a Morrison chassis ready to stick the truck on. All are good as long as a person builds a safe truck.

You will also figure out that we don't come anywhere close to agreeing when it comes to how one finishes the body out on his truck. Some firmly believe that rust is a finish on a truck rather than a sign of total neglect. Others spend hours figuring out how to make a fresh paint job look old and tired. Then there are the others who bust their tail feathers to make the truck as perfect as they possibly can and have a perfect and very shiny paint job laid on it.

No one can agree on what wheels to run. The mod rodders like the big ones while thinking that those of us who want 15's and white walls or big and littles are old fashioned and not with it while most of us who like the more traditional wheel and tire combos think that the hot lick of the week big wheels look rather silly when you get right down to it. The good thing, usually you can unbolt wheels you don't like and put ones you like on a truck in short order.

You will also notice that there is a core group who attempts to give honest and correct answers to any question thrown out and we get a lot of them while there are some who thing that shade tree fixes are the only way to go and a very few others who think throwing misinformation to the "new guy" is hilarious, then some of us wake up, read half the question and throw out an answer and forget to read the whole thread before giving an answer.
The main thing is that we collectively love these old GM trucks and love to see others progress on their trucks.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #23
Malice

Great post. I could not agree more. Doesn't matter how the old trucks are done up. If it's the primer grey classic still running stock everything that I see on a daily basis or the 60k build. I still get excited slow down and watch it as it passes. We don't do it for the approval of others but for the love of the ride! I do appreciate all the comments. A lot of good info on this forum.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #24
tranzamwayno

i daily drive a s10 swap with 350/350 and it drives great. drives the same as it did with the s10 body on it. its dropped 2", has larger blazer swaybar on front, 8.8 ford posi with swaybar on rear. 4 wheel disc, it drives great in traffic and on freeway. definately better than my wrangler and just as good as my 01 dodge ram 1/2 ton. im very happy with the swap, now just need to make the seat more comfy and insulate and carpet the interior.
tranzamwayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #25
TNACUSTOM

If you want it to handle and corner hard go with the Morrison frame. You'll spend a lot of money trying to get the s10 to handle that good for one the rear of the s10 still has leaf springs in the rear. The Morrison has coilovers all around and a lot stiffer frame.
TNACUSTOM is offline   Reply With Quote