The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Improbcat

Single stage acrylic worth it for quicky paint job?

I'm doing a ton of rust repair on my truck and will need to paint it afterwards, thing is, the truck is in bad enough shape it will never be straight enough to be worth doing a high quality paint job on. So my plan is after rust repair to bag out the dents as best possible, give it a skim coat of bondo to get stuff reasonably straight and paint it.

I want it to be a dark hunter green, I was originally thinking rustoleum either rattled canned or sprayed with an HVLP(I have never done any gun painting).

I have since discovered These single-stage acrylic kits for under $120
Eastwood '69 GM Fathom Midnight Green Metallic 96 oz. Kit
Summit Racing Equipment® Acrylic Urethane Paint Combo Dark Jade Metallic

The question is, for such a quicky paint job over marginal bodywork, am I going to get a measurably better finish spending the extra money on the kit? Any other advice would also be appreciated.

Some pics that make the truck look way straighter than it is:

SOLD 1964 C/10 Shortbed Fleetside, Deluxe. (pictures) SOLD
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Eddie H.

Re: Single stage acrylic worth it for quicky paint job?

f it were me, and that's all I wanted. I would just get it as straight as possible, then take it to Macco for a quickie $200 scuff and squirt.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
hugger6933

Re: Single stage acrylic worth it for quicky paint job?

If going to all the trouble to fix rust, pull as many dents as you can, believe me you will get better at the dents as you go. Almost so much so you may even want to go back to the first body spots and do them over again. Do all the epoxy primer so is not to rust them high build primer to aid in the body work and block sanding[how many of my post have you read?]. My point is this after going through all of that work remember "it is called body work and not body fun for a reason". After the work the sweat equity and time and extensive labor I would not want anyone to feel they have to "cheap out" on paint. Go back and read up on some of my post I give some tips in there about using PPG's body shop based Omni paint . They have an entire line from epoxy primers to clears and everything in between and price wise it can save you up to and between 20% to 90% on materials. So think on that before making up your mind also that I recommend spraying BC/CC systems because of the ease of use involved with it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote