The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
dujobu

Insurance Providers?

Who do you all recommend for insurance for these trucks? I plan to drive it often, but not every day. So don't think the 'antique' insurance is the best option but I don't know. Anyone have a recommendation?
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
mtully79

Re: Insurance Providers?

Flo at Progressive?
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
dujobu

Very helpful. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtully79 View Post
Flo at Progressive?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
landy

I've had good luck with AAA and GEICO. Worth the time to shop around for quotes.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
pwdcougar

15 minutes could save you 15% or so I've been lead to believe by a small lizard.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
dujobu

I'm talking with Grundy but they're saying they only insure 'Collectors'. And since I'm driving mine a few times a week just to get around, that I don't qualify for that coverage. I just want insurance that will cover the actual value of what I put into the truck during restoration. Do regular insurance companies offer that for classic cars? I could just hear them saying after an accident, 'a 1971 Blazer… that's worth $500' or something.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
midnight rambler

I have AAA but liability only, tried to get it insured for ten grand pre determined value, but they said no. Im looking around also.
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
A1971Blazer

In many cases involving insurance, a lot depends on the agent. This 15 minute, on-line bull-sh!t from some silly azz lizard......not for me. Guess who pays for all those high-priced commercials?

My agent is a friend I have known since childhood. I've never had an issue with getting a claim paid.

Find a reputable agent that understands what you have and what kind of coverage you want. There are companies that will write you a policy....but.......it may be a bit more expensive than "normal".
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
mtully79

I use State Farm, got a good deal because I have my other car and home with them as well. Shop around the big name guys and compere to Grundy, I have friends with "collector" cars and they drive them year round in and out of state which isn't covered in their plan and if they get busted can cost them some cash.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
pwdcougar

I use American Collectors insurance in Cherry Hill NJ. They are pretty good about covering for agreed value and allow for occasional use driving. Years ago I wrote an article for an online magazine that dealt with classic car insurance. They were one of the few that allows for occasional use. Some companies only want you to drive to and from shows/cruise nights and no pleasure use. One stipulation that they have, as do most classic car insurance companies, is that the vehicle MUST be garaged.

Give them a call.

Paul

Hours:
Monday-Friday: 8:30 a.m.-7:00 p.m. EST
Saturday: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. EST
Customer Service & Claims Phone: (800) 360-2277
Customer Service & Claims Fax: (856) 779-7289
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
dujobu

Hoe does that work? Do they check your mileage every year or something? How can they bust you other than you getting in an accident in a place or at a time they said you can't drive it?

Quote:
I use State Farm, got a good deal because I have my other car and home with them as well. Shop around the big name guys and compere to Grundy, I have friends with "collector" cars and they drive them year round in and out of state which isn't covered in their plan and if they get busted can cost them some cash.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #12
IIGW

State Farm is the only people I have ever gone through. I have had two vehicles stolen over the years, and SF had paid me handsomely for them. For example, in the early 2000s I was big into the minitruck scene, I had a very custom 97 mazda b series truck. Kelly blue book was like 1800. Through pictures, magazine comparisons and talking to the adjuster I was paid almost 13k for the truck. When my jeep YJ was stolen from my driveway (ugh) KBB was around 3500 for it, SF paid me almost 10k for the jeep, again through build pictures and talking with the adjusters.
Moral of the story, take lots of pictures, document your build and go with State Farm.
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
NONHOG

I'd say much of proper coverage comes from a good agent (I live with mine)
You may think your long term friendly agent is doing you well. Confirm it!
Shop if only to keep them on there toes.
Don't count out your "average" insurance co. for collector coverage.
Some will surprise you.
Check around compare apples to apples. (agents get paid by commission)
State Farm treated me very well (years ago) when I wrecked my bike. That being said I'll never spend another dime with them. They are by far the worst company, IMO, to deal with on the repair industry side of things.
Which won't matter to most people. But does to me. (parts supplier)

Don't listen to your neighbor do your homework, shop around!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
mtully79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dujobu View Post
Hoe does that work? Do they check your mileage every year or something? How can they bust you other than you getting in an accident in a place or at a time they said you can't drive it?
The only time I've ever heard of someone getting busted was in an accident outside of their expected range (~125 miles), and my friend was pulled over in South Carolina and the cop told him he could report him to his insurance company for travelling outside his insured area without having it hauled on a trailer.

You can hope for the best or plan for the worst which is why I went with standard coverage for my blazer so I could go anywhere I wanted at any time with no doubts about coverage.

To each his own!
Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGW View Post
State Farm is the only people I have ever gone through. I have had two vehicles stolen over the years, and SF had paid me handsomely for them. For example, in the early 2000s I was big into the minitruck scene, I had a very custom 97 mazda b series truck. Kelly blue book was like 1800. Through pictures, magazine comparisons and talking to the adjuster I was paid almost 13k for the truck. When my jeep YJ was stolen from my driveway (ugh) KBB was around 3500 for it, SF paid me almost 10k for the jeep, again through build pictures and talking with the adjusters.
Moral of the story, take lots of pictures, document your build and go with State Farm.
If ya get yourself a nice Buick, maybe we can work something out.....
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
dujobu

I'm going with State Farm. It's cheaper to insure both our daily drivers AND the Blazer with them than it is to insure just the daily drivers with Allstate. And I'm getting coverage for $25K on the Blazer. Seems like a pretty solid company. And the local agent is a good friend of my bro-in-law. Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #17
IIGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If ya get yourself a nice Buick, maybe we can work something out.....
i dont get this?
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #18
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGW View Post
i dont get this?
I get a free Buick, you get a fat check, win win
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #19
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Quote:
i use state farm, got a good deal because i have my other car and home with them as well. Shop around the big name guys and compere to grundy, i have friends with "collector" cars and they drive them year round in and out of state which isn't covered in their plan and if they get busted can cost them some cash.
x2
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote