The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
asickber

HEI installation?

Sorry for another HEI question but I've searched and can't find exactly what I need. First mistake, I had someone else install the new distributor for me in a '72 with a 402. I even mentioned needing to replace the old 9v wire with one that would support 12v but he failed to do that. It ran but I didn't see any increase in performance. I ran a 12 gauge wire from the batt. connector on the distributor to the ign. unfused spot on the fuse box.
Can I simply just tape up the end of the old 9v wire and be good to go or do I need to disconnect it from the starter as well? Are there any other wires that should be disconnected from the starter?

Last edited by asickber; 10-09-2014 at 08:38 AM. Reason: forgot info
asickber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
asickber

Re: HEI installation?

Think I found the answer to my question. Just disconnect the yellow wire from the starter and I think I'm good to go?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Actually it's a 12 volt wire that goes to the coil when the starter is engaged. It bypasses the 9 volt resistance wire on the stock coil during start. You don't need it with the HEI but it will have 12 volts on it during start and it will be hot with the key on if you don't disconnect the resistance wire at the firewall block.

The ignition wire from the key switch runs to the firewall block and the resistance wire on the engine side of the block ties into it. Some of the guys remove the resistance wire from the firewall block and run their 12 volt HEI wire in place of it for a clean factory look.

The resistance wire is a cloth covered wire like the one in the picture and was an orange/purple/white wire but it fades over time and might be all white.

Name:  Firewallterminal 1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  89.5 KB

here is the wire going to the starter and joining the yellow wire that goes to the ignition coil. It's on the right edge of the diagram.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
asickber

Thanks for the information! I usually shy away from the electrical side of things. Are you saying I should remove the resistance wire from the firewall block? (I've already ran a wire from the distributor to the fuse block). I wouldn't mind just taping the stock wires to avoid any shorting out and leave it in place in case for some reason I'd ever go back to my stock distributor.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by asickber View Post
Thanks for the information! I usually shy away from the electrical side of things. Are you saying I should remove the resistance wire from the firewall block? (I've already ran a wire from the distributor to the fuse block). I wouldn't mind just taping the stock wires to avoid any shorting out and leave it in place in case for some reason I'd ever go back to my stock distributor.
No I'm saying some guys do that for a clean look. You'll be fine, just tape up the end of the yellow wire so it can't short out or get burned on the exhaust.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
asickber

It seems to be running better now. Thanks for the info!