The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
claysteen

VIN tag question. How bad did I get burned?

I think this may be a lesson learned from being young and dumb. I picked up a '71 a few months ago and deciding to ask questions about this vin tag a little too late it seems... It's obviously not factory. So, any idea as to how it was replaced and has passed state inspection to get titled? Everything I've found as to replacing these says it's illegal AF! Any idea how it got like this? If there is anything I can do about it? Or just jump ship with this one find a new pawn for the truck and hunt down a different truck for myself?
Attached Images

claysteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
jocko

Re: VIN tag question. How bad did I get burned?

were you able to get it titled when you bought it? No, that's not original, correct, or anything good - can even see the holes where the previous legit GVWR/VIN tag used to be. Recommend have DMV do a title search and as long as they can confirm it's not stolen, they may be able to issue a replacement VIN. It won't be "chevy-like", but it'll at least be legal. Cross-check the VIN on the SPID in the glovebox, if it's still there - and on the upper channel of the driver's side frame rail, kinda below where the brake booster is (sorta). See what matches - go from there. What you are trying to show above should look something like this one (i.e. it should include GVWR):
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Yeah, it looks to be a custom job someone made. Those holes on the pillar are probably original VIN tag rivet holes. What year truck, do you have pics of the glove box door decal (SPID), and what is the VIN stamped into the frame? When transferring a title in-state it's possible no one inspected the truck and the title was issued. Probably won't have similar luck titling it in another state.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #4
claysteen

I was able to get it titled when I bought it. Is checking to see if it were stolen or not something that is not done in the titling process? Transfered from TN to KY. Though now in VA I am slightly worried about it when the time come as the have a half way thorough inspection (if you don't know anyone in the business lol) Aside from that I had plans to resale the truck after some good work and now see it as a huge strike on any sort of in depth restoration.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #5
claysteen

Nothing in the glove box. I'll check the frame in the morning.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #6
franken

It may be a state issued VIN tag using the original VIN. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/Chevyear.html
71 half ton, V8 Atlanta built, etc.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
SS Tim

Check the frame number to see if it matches. Should be 1A615715.
The VIN itself breaks down as a 71 C10 V8 pickup built at the Lakewood Assembly Plant (Atlanta, GA) in March of 1971.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #8
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
It may be a state issued VIN tag using the original VIN. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/Chevyear.html
71 half ton, V8 Atlanta built, etc.
I don't think it's a state issued tag. Here's a copy of a Texas issued tag.
Attached Images

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
claysteen

So I know I'm not crazy I am looking in the right general area, correct? Should be able to see something if it where there by now with as much as I cleaned up? I now it's not like they are stamped lightly so they should be THAT hard to see, if there..., right? Guess it seems I bought a good running donor...
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
67swb72klb

the partial vin# is up closer to the steering box
Old 12-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
claysteen

Thank you sir! That was the ticket. Basically right next to the power steering pump. Guess I took the break booster area a little too much to the heart haha. Well at least some nervousness has been lifted. Now just need to regroup and figure out what I really want to do with the truck in light of some of this.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

That definitely doesn't look like any kind of VIN a DOT would issue... and you don't have a title anyway? The only right thing to do would be to get a state issued VIN and title (if VA even does that) otherwise this is only a parts truck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
tcrist

That is on the cab, correct? Maybe the cab was trashed, someone replaced it with another one. Not that making their own VIN plate was the correct thing to do but it worked for the state at that time.

You can check to see if YOU change the cab can you register it with the correct VIN on the frame AND the different VIN on the plate. What would you have to do to prove that it was legit to get proper registration?

I would check with the local motor vehicle department and just pose the question "What do I do if my cab is destroyed and I want to replace it with another used one"?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
scottybaccus

First, you need to understand your state's laws. There is a wide spread misunderstanding that it is illegal to remove/replace a VIN tag. That is not at all what the law in Texas says. In Texas, it is illegal to do so with intent to conceal the identity of a vehicle. Normal removal and replacement during repair and restoration is legal. Knowing the back-up location on your frame to validate the tag is a good idea. Even better would be to buy an authentic reproduction and properly stamp it and affix it with the right fastener. Non-authentic tags are legal, however.
Do a little research on your state's laws, and learn how they are interpreted. NEVER take one opinion as gospel.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
67swb72klb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
First, you need to understand your state's laws. There is a wide spread misunderstanding that it is illegal to remove/replace a VIN tag. That is not at all what the law in Texas says. In Texas, it is illegal to do so with intent to conceal the identity of a vehicle. Normal removal and replacement during repair and restoration is legal. Knowing the back-up location on your frame to validate the tag is a good idea. Even better would be to buy an authentic reproduction and properly stamp it and affix it with the right fastener. Non-authentic tags are legal, however.
Do a little research on your state's laws, and learn how they are interpreted. NEVER take one opinion as gospel.
x2 some states will issue a new vin plate or a whole new # it is a state by state deal
good luck with it
Old 12-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

VIN tag removal was a recent topic of discussion on this thread - definitely know your states laws and it may be worth considering other states laws as well if you ever want to sell: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653663

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 12-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
tcrist

VIN tag tampering is a big NO-NO in California. You "CAN" have your vehicle confiscated by tampering with them. BUT, if you change cabs on a truck and you go through the right steps, it is a NON issue.

I believe that you have to show ownership of both vehicles and then you have to get the correct paperwork and SCRAP the one that you are not keeping.

I might be somewhat off be am fairly close that is the end result.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
davepl

Here in WA its up to the State Patrol. You pull in, they check the VIN, you pull out. That was when I imported my cars from Canada, anyway.

What I don't know is if they slam the doors shut and confiscate your vehicle if something is wrong. I can't imagine they let you cruise out of there with a stolen vehicle, and odds are they won't run a VIN for you unless the vehicle is there.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
Redline novdog

My brother always told me (attention to detail). It has proved me well.research first buy later.On the lighter side you could always twin turbo and go wheels up just like farm truck! If you have a title and plates drive and enjoy!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #20
sean1969c10

I've lived in Virginia for most of my life and I have never heard of the DMV looking at a vehicle. Not saying they can't or never would but in all the years of messing with cars I never have. Now, you might have trouble with state inspection if an Inspector sees the odd VIN plate and calls their Trooper in. I guess the other issue is the value of the truck with a odd VIN tag.

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

1960 Chevy Impala Sedan - my 25 year search is over!!
1969 C-10 longbed - Nice day DD
1970 Chevy Nova - Street and Strip Project
2002 Acura MDX my DD
2007 Honda Odssey - My Wife's "Mommy Van"
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #21
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I'm no lawyer but reading an example state code, this one from Texas, doesn't seem to allow individuals to remove a VIN tag for painting or other purposes. A person commits an offense if they merely remove a tag by my interpretation:

"knowingly or intentionally removes, alters, or obliterates the serial number or other permanent identification marking on tangible personal property;..."

Texas Penal Code Ann. 31.11(a)(2)(A) See --§ 10[c]
Sec. 31.11. TAMPERING WITH IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) knowingly or intentionally removes, alters, or obliterates the serial number or other permanent identification marking on tangible personal property; or
(2) possesses, sells, or offers for sale tangible personal property and:
(A) the actor knows that the serial number or other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated; or
(B) a reasonable person in the position of the actor would have known that the serial number or other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated.
(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the person was:
(1) the owner or acting with the effective consent of the owner of the property involved;
(2) a peace officer acting in the actual discharge of official duties; or
(3) acting with respect to a number assigned to a vehicle by the Texas Department of Transportation or the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, as applicable, and the person was:
(A) in the actual discharge of official duties as an employee or agent of the department; or
(B) in full compliance with the rules of the department as an applicant for an assigned number approved by the department.
(c) Property involved in a violation of this section may be treated as stolen for purposes of custody and disposition of the property.
(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(e) In this section, "vehicle" has the meaning given by Section 541.201, Transportation Code.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: VIN tag question. How bad did I get burned?

You can read these post all day long, but in the end until you talk to the proper people (DMV) your just reading stuff. Sorry guy's but the state of Tx has nothing to do with his question.

Best thing is call the DMV in your area and ask. That will be the start of the process. As stated though the face value of your truck resale value will not be as good as you once thought.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Andy you are correct but I can tell you that had I not known the NM regulations regarding year of manufacture plates I wouldn't have been able to put a YOM into use because the DMV folks were clueless. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #24
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: VIN tag question. How bad did I get burned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Andy you are correct but I can tell you that had I not known the NM regulations regarding year of manufacture plates I wouldn't have been able to put a YOM into use because the DMV folks were clueless. Sorry to hijack the thread.

I can agree with and that is good info. The stuff about what one state will are want do is just talk. Knowing your trucks vitals is a must when talking to a DMV person. But just in general telling him what they will are want do is worthless info.

He needs to call and find out what he needs to do from the DMV for his state.
That is the answer and the only way for him to know for sure.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #25
claysteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Here in WA its up to the State Patrol. You pull in, they check the VIN, you pull out.
That's about all is was to get my KY title. Drove down the the Sheriff's Office. They looked at the mileage and VIN and two weeks later the title came in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
On the lighter side you could always twin turbo and go wheels up just like farm truck! If you have a title and plates drive and enjoy!
I'm sure the Farm Truck boys have more into just their motor than what I planned for my entire truck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1969c10 View Post
I've lived in Virginia for most of my life and I have never heard of the DMV looking at a vehicle. Not saying they can't or never would but in all the years of messing with cars I never have. Now, you might have trouble with state inspection if an Inspector sees the odd VIN plate and calls their Trooper in. I guess the other issue is the value of the truck with a odd VIN tag.
Yeah the state inspection is what I was referring to. Not the DMV. Apologies for confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
As stated though the face value of your truck resale value will not be as good as you once thought.
I can imagine it may be hard to give an idea with so many potential variables. Any idea how much it could affect the bottom dollar (if all hypothetically goes well and I get at least a state VIN so it is more legit that it is now).