The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
johnyoung

LS starting problems when unpluging old gauges

Fellers I need some help. Got my old truck on the road with my new 5.3 truck motor swap in. Problem now is I got my Dakota digital gauges in and when I took out the old gauges and unplugged the big plug from the back of the gauges my truck won't start. Don't look to good with that shell hanging down over my gas pedal. Can someone tell me which wires I need to cut and splice back together to get rid of this mess. Thanks guys and I will post some pictures of my swap soon.
johnyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: LS starting problems when unpluging old gauges

Didn't give us much info to work with. What truck, what donor vehicle, what gauges....see where I'm goin here?

If you were using the late-model gauges (from the donor) running off a BCM, then unplugging them may have triggerd it. Most faults like this can be addressed in the ECM tuning.

Fill in some blank for us, I'll see if we can narrow it down a bit.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
johnyoung

My truck is a 67 short fleet side truck . We put an 09 chevy truck 5.3 in it with 4l60E. All that works great. We did wire up the inside fuse block and the big wire that that runs to the original gauges was still plugged in. The truck originally came with few options and had the basic gauge package for a 67 truck. The new gauges i got are Dakota digital that look like the originals. The new gauges are not the problem. The problem is when I took the old gauges out and unplugged them my truck won't start. I will crank over but won't fire. Thanks for any help if any of this makes sense. Don't to me but then I'm not a wiring guy. Guess I can check everything with test light.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
clinebarger

If your truck has a Ammeter....That could be the issue. The two wires that go to the Ammeter need to be spliced together.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
johnyoung

Thanks a lot. I will check that in the morning and see. I know it had the big speedometer and the big gas gauge and that's about it. I believe it was a 6 cylinder originally. Rare thing is the glove box spid shows it was ordered with the panoramic window - big back window. I see where a lot of guys on here refer to their 67's as the rare small window when I think the large back window has to be more rare being an option order. I hope to get some pictures of my motor sway, engine bay and truck put on this week. Really clean job on the motor install. I really appreciate all the help I've gotten off the forum. Checkin tomorrow on ammeter.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

The big back windows are rare on 67s, just not rare in general....Clear as mud?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote