The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

... Help...Oil leak issue

I literally could watching the oil leak from the oil pressure line, what should I do?? Tighten that nut that's on the line or replace the seals also on the push rod covers? Because I'm thinking that's where the leaking is also coming from.
Attached Images

Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
Boedean1981

Re: ... Help...Oil leak issue

To me I would do all the above and clean engine while I am at it. If you are going to take the time to do it replace all suspects and start fresh. To me it would give me peace of mind knowing that it isn't something else.
Boedean1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:54 AM   #3
65chevysub

I added an oil line on my old Chevy II with the 194, and when it started leaking I replaced the ferrel and put some teflon tape on the threads and it stopped leaking.
You might try this trick.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
vince1

Looks to me like you need a side cover gasket. One of mine was leaking and a new seal with a light smear of silicone fixed it.

You could check the line by loosening the nut and checking the ferule. If it is overly mashed or cocked sideways it could be cut off close and slide on another.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
Looks to me like you need a side cover gasket. One of mine was leaking and a new seal with a light smear of silicone fixed it.

You could check the line by loosening the nut and checking the ferule. If it is overly mashed or cocked sideways it could be cut off close and slide on another.
Thanks, okay I'm gonna start lifting the hood after this cup of coffe, thanks, you may be right, I think a lot of seals need replacing here, the whole cover was black in sludge until I cleaned it, wait till you see the other cover.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevysub View Post
I added an oil line on my old Chevy II with the 194, and when it started leaking I replaced the ferrel and put some teflon tape on the threads and it stopped leaking.
You might try this trick.
That sounds very smart, I'm gonna pop the line off to see what's going on, the line is connected to a small guage cluster that looks as old as the truck. It's probably about its time to be tightened or replacing.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I agree with what's been said...it could very well be just the side cover gasket. You can get them from Napa or Autozone cheap....I'd replace them while I was there anyhow for peace of mind. lol
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
I agree with what's been said...it could very well be just the side cover gasket. You can get them from Napa or Autozone cheap....I'd replace them while I was there anyhow for peace of mind. lol
I have a autozone 5 minutes from my house, I'm gonna bug the wife for my allowance before she leaves for work LOL
After reading the replys, I feel like I really do need to replace the seals.... I saw that 3 lbs with a tourqe wrench is good for the valve cover gaskets, would you know if that be similar for the covers? I've researched that hand tight and a good turn with a wrench is just right, any more would tear the gasket.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
I have a autozone 5 minutes from my house, I'm gonna bug the wife for my allowance before she leaves for work LOL
After reading the replys, I feel like I really do need to replace the seals.... I saw that 3 lbs with a tourqe wrench is good for the valve cover gaskets, would you know if that be similar for the covers? I've researched that hand tight and a good turn with a wrench is just right, any more would tear the gasket.
Wrenching down on the side covers actually doesn't tear the gasket...it warps the cover....the center bends in and causes the gasket surface to warp out. Some silicon will be the best thing to use as well.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote