The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #1
Clavo106

Angry Mixed Suspension Parts .Dilemmas. junkyard parts..drop.

.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...68&postcount=4.
since my project consists of junk yard parts and local cl finds. I will start off with what I have. I bought 1971 c10 1/2 chassis But did NOT have the streering linkage or spindles. this truck had p/s to start because the p/s rack is still on. the chassis.. I managed to pick up a 1970 c/10 1/2 steering linkage end to end with a p/s rack form C/L. I also bought a ECE DROP KIT for my 1971 chassis.. at the time I knew that the ball joint where different between years but did not know tie rod where different aswell./ now today i tryed to put my 1971 drop spindels on my 1971 lower control arms but it seems not to fit ball joint and bore diameter seemed right but length was a issue u could not tread a nut because thread where still in bore.so then I tryed my 1970 steering linkage no surprise I did not fit only went half way in bore... 1970 tie rod where bigger..and seeing that I only have one streering center link for a 1970. im stuck. . So after reading countless threads. im trying to get the easiest and take the best course of action. I hope for some advice before I have to call ece or cpp. and go to the part store for fitment. I have read both these threads and maybe there something I did not catch..
.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=405330
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
mike16

Re: Mixed Suspension Parts .Dilemmas. junkyard parts..drop.

mixing new and used parts is cheaper but not always best. sooner or later your going to have to replace the used parts. best to do it all at once and be done with it. the real problem is to find a vendor who sells quality parts. No Chiwanese or Koreandian parts
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:46 AM   #3
Clavo106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
mixing new and used parts is cheaper but not always best. sooner or later your going to have to replace the used parts. best to do it all at once and be done with it. the real problem is to find a vendor who sells quality parts. No Chiwanese or Koreandian parts
uhh? ok...NOW im really confused?.^. since the only part that is new is ece drop complete drop kit (spindles) and everything Is STAMPED made in the USA and what I believe is used stock lower ball joints 71 parts witch I believe are also made in the USA. not sure. its been 40+yr. now my 1970 linkage are also used. now im in the process of replacing with new ball joints and tie rods..(correction when I said p/s rack I ment p/s gear box) its 2015 ... now my problem 1971 spindles dont fit my 1971 ball joint because of tread length I believe. the bore and tapered size is fine. now another problem 1970 tie rods dont fit on 71 spindles. .. now I went to the parts store today to do a fit check on my spindles they ordered 70 and 71 lower ball joint and outer tie rods. but will be in Saturday.... no one that I know sells steering center linkage. now I believe im left with two options..--
Old 09-04-2015, 02:57 AM   #4
Clavo106

op ' one. .. / I can return my ece 71 spindles and get 1970 spindles. and pop out my belive 1971 lower control arm ball joints and replace them with 1970 ball joints. and keep my 1970 steering linkage..
option two./ I can get the custom sleeve from cpp witch I belive is a bushing reducer and. go that route. but still need to fix why my 71 ball joint and 71 spindle dont assemble right.
.....I believe I have this right? all speculations. my friends.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Clavo106

Well Felles. I FIGURED OUT. that my 71 control arms have 1970 ball joints. thats y my 1971 spindles did not work.. did a test fit at the parts store with my spindles. 71 ball joints and tie rods fit great... ball joints 1970 and 71 to the control arm can be swaped. I took a caliper in to do a quick measurement the same.
I think im still going with op:#1 and send back my spindles 1971 to get 1970 spindles so I can keep my steering linkages the same and not mess with the custom sleeves. Depends on shipping.