The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Finding Front Control Arm Bushings

I did a search here and didn't find what I was looking for. I build engines. I know squat about suspension stuff. I'm looking for front, upper and lower control arm bushings for my 1972 GMC C1500. Stock replacement rubber bushings are okay by me. I've seen new shafts, but it appears that the new shafts come with nuts and seals but the bushings are not included.

Unless, I'm AFU here... am I looking in the wrong stuff? Am I overlooking something super simple? I have exhausted my internet searches and will start making phone calls to real people thumbing through a real catalog very soon.

These bushings have to be available somewhere... I mean, these ARE the most popular trucks The General ever built.

Who stocks the bushings?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
poway

Re: Finding Front Control Arm Bushings

I think I got ll of my upper and lower control arm bushings and shafts at O'Reilly,s. I had to purchace the entire assemblies. All of the components for the control arms were complete.
poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
sprint_9

MOOG K6098 upper

MOOG K6147 lower
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
notsolo

In the process of replacing lower control arm shafts. They come complete with bushings. I bought AC Delco from RockAuto I think they are made in Taiwan....If you go with Moog they might be made in USA....Good Luck.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #5
67c10rustbuket

There are no rubber bushings until '73. They are solid bushed with a rubber grease seal. The only thing you will find is cross shaft assemblies. Inspect yours for slop, and grease them through the zerk on the nut at both ends of the cross shaft. You can swap to 73+ arms if you really want rubber.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:35 AM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Nice! Thanks for the replies guys!

67c10rustbuket... I didn't know they didn't have rubber in the bushings as I haven't tore mine apart yet. Thanks for the info on that!

sprint 9 thanks for the MOOG part numbers.

Great to learn new stuff!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:19 AM   #7
leddzepp

Gary - Sorry for the miscommunication. When you said "bushings" my mind thought "grease seals"...duh. The above is correct, the bushings are metal and threaded. The grease boots are not available in urethane as far as I know. Last I checked the truck shop in orange sold the rubber grease boots separately from the shafts. That was the only source I found at the time I did my 72. If your bushings are in good shape and have been greased over the life of the truck, I would just keep them greased and drive on.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
steveo3318

i just finished a complete upper and lower control arm shaft replacement on both sides plus I did all ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, and idler arm this week. I used all Moog parts and the difference is incredible. I did also install a cpp control arm also.

Heres a few suggestions.

1. replace ball joints as well while you are there if they need it.

2. do one control arm at a time. "I actually did my top first leaving the bottom connected "leave the shock connected, it will hold the bottom up", then after getting the top back in and connected I did the bottom letting the whole assembly hang from the top" This way I never actually had to take the spindle and brakes apart.

3. do not try to break the bushing while the arms are on the truck. You will invent new curse words especially if you have hooker headers! Put them in a vise and use a 1/2 impact. They will come right out. Two of my were dry and rusty and came out pretty easy.

4. installing the shafts, center the shaft and make equal turns on each bushing keeping a measurement on the shaft ledge to the inner arms. I made marks with a paint marker! torque bottoms to 140lb, tops to 90!

5. do not mix up the shims on the upper arms. I actually never took mine off the stud!

I couldn't believe the slop/slack both of my bottoms had. My truck is a manual steer and it handles like a new car now. Stopped the squeaks too. You prob knew all of this But this job gave me absolute hell. There was very little info on changing these arms and I learned the hard way. I honestly could of pulled and replaced my engine faster.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

P.S. two of the bushings on each shaft were so worn out they would rock back and fourth 1/2 inch threaded all the way up. I just have to get it to a alignment shop now.
4/6 drop with riddler 20x8 and 20x10
1957 S5T Leslie Supertyfon train horns and EMD bell
"No bolt left unturned"
steveo3318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Gary - Sorry for the miscommunication. When you said "bushings" my mind thought "grease seals"...duh. The above is correct, the bushings are metal and threaded. The grease boots are not available in urethane as far as I know. Last I checked the truck shop in orange sold the rubber grease boots separately from the shafts. That was the only source I found at the time I did my 72. If your bushings are in good shape and have been greased over the life of the truck, I would just keep them greased and drive on.
Scott, no sweat. The only front control arms I have ever messed with were GM "A" body rigs. Now that I looked at them again last night (didn't take them apart), it makes sense that they have no rubber in them except for grease seals. I will have them all off this week to clean up and transfer over to the 1969 frame. As I move them up and down with the springs and spindles out... they seem pretty solid. But We'll see when I pull them apart. Thanks buddy!

steveo3318... Thanks for the write up!

Gary

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
poway

I was having problems trying to break loose the cross-shaft nuts after pulling them from the truck. My shop vise was too small and I don’t have an impact wrench. A guy that I work with told me to place the entire control arm on the ground and drive my other car’s wheel on top of it to hold it down. I then applied the socket and a large breaker bar. It worked!
poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #11
69Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
MOOG K6098 upper

MOOG K6147 lower
So, these will work with a 67-72 control arm? I'm looking into redoing all of my front suspension. I plan on replacing the ball joints and was wondering what I should do with the control arm bushings. Thanks
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote