The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

Going on a 120 mile trip, thank my I6 can make it?

I have a 67' straight 6 250 that may have seen better days, but it gets me to work everyday no problem. It does have a ticking sound coming from the 2 cylinder I believe, after adjusting the valves many times I conclude its a case of a worn cam and possibly just one or two worn or failed lifters. Truck runs great when driving though, I have a electronic ignition and set the timing at 12, it has no pinging and never stutters. The only issues I have are the ticking sounds from the worn lifters, and, like always, my valve cover leaks, I've tried straightening it out several times but it's pretty beat up from years of abuse, I'm hoping to find a straight one at the swamp meet I'll be going too and always make sure to not over tighten..... Anyways despite those things, do anyone think my truck can make the 120 mile trip? It has a 3 on the tree trans, so j can't go any faster than 60 without the trans screaming. I'm planning on doing a tune up too with plugs, cap and rotat, spark plugs, and a oil change.
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:34 AM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Going on a 120 mile trip, thank my I6 can make it?

Probably, but if not, I've heard that you can buy a AAA card over the phone and claim your first tow right there on the spot immediately after purchase.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Probably, but if not, I've heard that you can buy a AAA card over the phone and claim your first tow right there on the spot immediately after purchase.
I have AAA but I don't have the gold so I don't get unlimited miles
Old 01-15-2016, 01:21 AM   #4
AcampoDave

I wonder if they let existing customers upgrade when things go wrong and then claim the benefits immediately.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
D13

I drove my 67 250 with bad lifters for many years. Keep the enigne speed reasonable and no issues. Check your oil level every 50 miles or so as high speed vacuum likes to suck up oil on these old beasts. Next time you are bored try replaing the lifters and see what happens to your tick. the long push rod and high rocker ratio seems to make life unpleasant for the lifter on these engines, and lifters are pretty inexpensive. You also can remove just the side covers to try to isolate which part is the problem whil wearing a minimal amount of oil (one of the advantages of the inline is you can see the lifters with the engine running).
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

If your truck doesn't overheat and/or burns oil excessively, go for it. Take an extra quart of oil just in case and keep the speed reasonable.

These old trucks were meant for work and don't generally like higher highway speeds of today. Be prepared to get tailgated by idiots trying to get around you.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
I drove my 67 250 with bad lifters for many years. Keep the enigne speed reasonable and no issues. Check your oil level every 50 miles or so as high speed vacuum likes to suck up oil on these old beasts. Next time you are bored try replaing the lifters and see what happens to your tick. the long push rod and high rocker ratio seems to make life unpleasant for the lifter on these engines, and lifters are pretty inexpensive. You also can remove just the side covers to try to isolate which part is the problem whil wearing a minimal amount of oil (one of the advantages of the inline is you can see the lifters with the engine running).
Thank you for sharing your experience with the same motor, sounds like I should be okay with the trip, I believe my main concern should only just be about the leaking valve cover that I've tried to fix many times. It leaks in the back and the front near the thermostat housing.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
If your truck doesn't overheat and/or burns oil excessively, go for it. Take an extra quart of oil just in case and keep the speed reasonable.

These old trucks were meant for work and don't generally like higher highway speeds of today. Be prepared to get tailgated by idiots trying to get around you.
No when I first bought the truck I took care of the cooling first thing by getting a aluminum radiator and installed a coolant over flow, I've burbed the system too when I did all that, she runs at 160-180 during winter, and 190-200 during summer, I've never believed she burned oil other than losing oil from the valve cover leak.... Thank you again for your sharing your knowledge as well, everyone on here has help built my confidence in my truck. I'm gonna do a small tune up and do a compression test as well tomorrow after noon before I head out to the Pomona Swampmeet Sunday morning
Old 01-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

If it runs good....Heck yeah it should make it. Be sure to bring some things along...like spare coil and points and condenser. You'll want to bring some extra antifreeze just in case. A spare tire and jack would be good. My GMC's old radiator blew a leak while I was 5 miles from home(lucky me) so I was able to get back before all the water drained. New radiator was in that week. Always had at least 1 gallon of water in the cab since then. lol Make sure your fan belt is in good shape and tight. Keep the engine at no more than 2500 rpm and you should be fine. Do make sure you Have some way of getting a tow if you need one. I'll be attempting to make a trip to Trout Dale, Oregon which is around 5 hours from me(290 some odd miles one way) in my 64 GMC...and I'll have hills to climb. The ol V6 runs like a top and hasn't let me down yet. My issue is a top speed of 55 mph so it's gonna be one Looooong ride. But I'll be bringing a full truck bed tool box full of spare parts so that way if I do break down I will more than likely have the fix. lol
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
If it runs good....Heck yeah it should make it. Be sure to bring some things along...like spare coil and points and condenser. You'll want to bring some extra antifreeze just in case. A spare tire and jack would be good. My GMC's old radiator blew a leak while I was 5 miles from home(lucky me) so I was able to get back before all the water drained. New radiator was in that week. Always had at least 1 gallon of water in the cab since then. lol Make sure your fan belt is in good shape and tight. Keep the engine at no more than 2500 rpm and you should be fine. Do make sure you Have some way of getting a tow if you need one. I'll be attempting to make a trip to Trout Dale, Oregon which is around 5 hours from me(290 some odd miles one way) in my 64 GMC...and I'll have hills to climb. The ol V6 runs like a top and hasn't let me down yet. My issue is a top speed of 55 mph so it's gonna be one Looooong ride. But I'll be bringing a full truck bed tool box full of spare parts so that way if I do break down I will more than likely have the fix. lol
Haha I'm guessing mine should pretty good then considering that I'll be on the road for at least an hour and a half, I'm gonna do a small tune up today, I'm gonna get a new coil, plugs, and cap & rotor. I replaced the spark plugs 2,000 miles ago, and did a oil change about 900 miles ago, so I should be good there, I'll remember to check the belt too.... Those V6 sounds like bad ass motors!
Old 01-15-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
slotard

I was under the impression that AAA makes you wait 72 hours for a tow but I could be wrong.

I don't believe any of them get unlimited mileage. Top tier you get 200mi once a year and the other tows can be 100mi. They'll also do motorcycles and RVs, which is the big part of why I have them.

Keep your speed down to keep RPM reasonable and it should do fine.