The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
wahl4m

p/s tube adapter ?

got a 82 chevy stepside/im installing a 1990 square 350 wp/s it is a non inverted hose that goes to steering box/i need an adapter to use the non inverted hose to the inverted inlet on p/s box ??/ or an adapter hose ??? any ideas ? or change to later 1990 box ??? THANKS
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Shady Rascal

Re: p/s tube adapter ?

Take a 1" wrench and unscrew the big fitting from the back of your original power steering pump and screw it into the 1990 model pump. Then you can use original hoses for your truck with the later model pump. I've done it many times. Don't drop the spring that's behind the fitting when you unscrew it.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
wahl4m

i told my tech ,it should fit BUT he thought somebody sold an adapter fitting ??? anyway thanks for the info this truck was my deughters 16th birthday driver ,its a short stepside truck,that she litterally drove to death with its 6 cyl/3 speed,when it was worn out we parked it in the corner of my storage bldg.she bought a 1990 rv series burb a few yrs later ,body finally rotted out so i saved driveline for the stepside ,now its finally going to gether!she wants to take it to some shows this summer! its a little rusty BUT it brings back a lot of good memories for her !! thanks for the info !! mike
Old 06-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Shady Rascal

An aftermarket adapter doesn't seem to make any sense in your case. First, you already own the right part, just swap it in. It just unscrews from the old pump and screws into the new pump in place of the late model fitting. Plus, even if you did get an aftermarket solution, you're introducing a potential for another connection to leak.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
wahl4m

i thought that would fit ? been awhile since i done that switch BUT did forgot about the spring ?? anyway thanks for the info !!!! need to get this truck up and driving awhile,then we can blow it apart again to clean up and paint !!