The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
reed62

62 C-10 headlight bucket

Hey all,
Have any of you swapped out your headlight buckets from a 62 and used a different year but retained the 62 bezels? I have 2 buckets that bolt to the support header but appear to have been broken and then screwed back together. Only one bolt hole lines up so they might be from a different year truck altogether. If you did a swap for newer buckets, what year worked well? Is there a common year of car or truck that works? I am not averse to drilling holes but I really want to stay with the 62 grille and bezels because you don't see that many around here and even fewer in car shows.

Thanks..
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
Captmatt

Re: 62 C-10 headlight bucket

The headlight bucket is the part that holds the headlamp. 62-66 are the same and the bucket is cradled by the headlamp assembly. If I'm understanding correctly, your asking if you could use a different year assembly with your 62 grille ? The answer would most likely be no ( anything is possible with a LOT of fabrication ) . The 62 headlamp assembly is considerably different then the other single lamp assemblies, 63 or 64-66. The attaching points to the grille are very different and the headlamp bezels on the 62 screw to the assembly ( 63-66 ) screw to the grille itself. Your better off repairing the ones you have or finding replacements ( no repops made ) hope I understood your question, if not disregard good luck !! If you need a photo or two let me know
Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmatt View Post
The headlight bucket is the part that holds the headlamp. 62-66 are the same and the bucket is cradled by the headlamp assembly. If I'm understanding correctly, your asking if you could use a different year assembly with your 62 grille ? The answer would most likely be no ( anything is possible with a LOT of fabrication ) . The 62 headlamp assembly is considerably different then the other single lamp assemblies, 63 or 64-66. The attaching points to the grille are very different and the headlamp bezels on the 62 screw to the assembly ( 63-66 ) screw to the grille itself. Your better off repairing the ones you have or finding replacements ( no repops made ) hope I understood your question, if not disregard good luck !! If you need a photo or two let me know

Yep...LMC calls it the headlight backing plate. Mine are really bent up but I will work on them to straighten them back out while also keeping an eye out on ebay and local wrecking yards. Thanks for the response. The PO of my ride really did a number on mine with all sorts of sheet metal screws, drywall screws, etc. Some of the thin metal posts that stand off the backing plate are also missing or broken off. They look to be where the bucket was supposed to attach.
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Captmatt

The 4 holes at the corners attach to the grille ( with the mounts brackets ) and the headlamp bezels attach to the 4 " posts." headlamp bucket sits in the middle and is held in place with the 2 adjustment screws and spring.
Attached Images

Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
53Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed62 View Post
Hey all,
Have any of you swapped out your headlight buckets from a 62 and used a different year but retained the 62 bezels? I have 2 buckets that bolt to the support header but appear to have been broken and then screwed back together. Only one bolt hole lines up so they might be from a different year truck altogether. If you did a swap for newer buckets, what year worked well? Is there a common year of car or truck that works? I am not averse to drilling holes but I really want to stay with the 62 grille and bezels because you don't see that many around here and even fewer in car shows.

Thanks..
Hey Reed: I think I have some good dent free take-offs from my 62. I'll need to dig them out, but if you want them, they're yours. You'd need to come up to Northglenn to pick up.

PM me.

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote