The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
orngsikL

Angry Porterbuilt and cpp rack problem

Ok been fighting a leaking cpp power steering rack for a few days. Hose instructions said to tighten the hose fittings into the rack to 12-14 ft/lb. Well it'seems impossible to fit a wrench in the area to tighten the hoses, and no way a torque wrench is making it'so way anywhere near that area. I have to use a crows foot and can only turn the fitting about 20 degrees at a time and then have to reposition and usually end up dropping the crows foot about 10 times.

Anyway, the bottom hose will not stop leaking, I've tried tightening it and no luck.

How is everyone else tightening these hoses at the rack with it in the truck??

Also, if the bottom hose fitting isn't indexed just right, the top hose fitting hits the lowers, it seems like the fitting nuts are just too big (shoulders). It'seems like a really bad design. I had to take the upper hose off and both hard lines just to get to the lower hose and try to tighten it, we'll that changed the indexing and then had to reinstall the hard lines and then the upper hose and the shoulder hits the lower shoulder. Had to walk away tonight...

I need some input, 2 days of trying to stop the leak and it's starting to get aggrivating.
instagram -
@esso_c10
@projectpawpaw
orngsikL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
low70c10

Re: Porterbuilt and cpp rack problem

are the racks flare sealed or oring sealed?
low70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote