The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
TurnNBurn

Brakes Lock up with hydro boost Help

I am having trouble with my hydroboost brakes. I installed the unit, I hooked it up, fired it up bled the brakes and the work. My problem is they work WAY to good, or bad not sure yet. I did a few 5mph tests and when I push them soft they stop fast, Violently fast. I went to the road crusin about 25mph when I push the brakes they will lock up. I thought I might have the lines backwards. I switched them around, no diffrence. Has any one had this problem?? Please any Info would be great.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Brakes Lock up with hydro boost Help

hydroboost is a lot more sensitive than a normal vac booster and takes a little while to get used to. dont stab the pedal unless you plan on stopping in a hurry. light pedal pressure is all thats needed to stop. drive around for a while and just try to get used to it. i have been driving stuff with hydroboost for a few years and now and then i almost put myself through the windshield lol.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
TurnNBurn

So that is just they way they are?? I suppose there is no way to tone it down a little.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
cableguy0

my tow truck didnt do it but it weighed 8000 lbs empty. the systems are designed for bigger heavier vehicles typically but after driving with vac assisted brakes and a cam too big to make any vac i really appreciate having the brakes be sensitive. it just takes a bit to get used to it. i would say drive it around for a bit and see how you feel in a couple weeks
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

one thing no one mentions is was the truck you put the unit into manual brakes before? If it was the pedals are different in that the anchor and MC pin are closer togther giving you a higher mechanical advantage needed for manual brakes. I did this with an old Chevy wagon. Installed a vac booster but never changed the pedal and had the same thing happen to me as you are expirencing. let us know, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Storm Chaser

Are all 4 wheels locking up? Something is wrong here. True, hydroboost is more sensitive than vacuum, but it should not be as sensitive as you describe. I was a mechanic in the USMC, and 75% of the trucks in my fleet were HMMWV's and CUCV's (the CUCV is the chevy pickups and blazers). All of those trucks had hydroboost, and none of them locked up that violently. I've also owned many hydroboost trucks- again, no violent lockup.

Like I said, there is a little bit of difference between hydroboost and vacuum, but not so much of a difference that any schmuck shouldn't be able to get in one for the first time and get used to it after a stop or two. If the system is set up correctly and everything is working, the difference between hydroboost and vacuum shouldn't be greater than the difference between manual brakes and power brakes. Otherwise, y'all have something going on that is not quite right.
Rear disc swap & Hydroboost
Dually conversion with shackle flip-n-switch
4x4 conversion with 52" springs
Maybe some new body panels
Who needs a car when they make crew cab trucks?

Last edited by Storm Chaser; 10-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Storm Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
boatpuller

yea,what you describe isn't hydroboost.you got something going on.i had an old ford truck that i adjusted the rod from the pedal thru the booster into the back of the master cylinder.if that's adjusted wrong.your brakes can drag.not sure if hydroboost has that rod.iv'e never had mine apart in that area.

Last edited by boatpuller; 10-14-2009 at 12:59 PM.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #8
jondancer

Mine does this too , I need to fix it !
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondancer View Post
Mine does this too , I need to fix it !
This....

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure
one thing no one mentions is was the truck you put the unit into manual brakes before? If it was the pedals are different in that the anchor and MC pin are closer togther giving you a higher mechanical advantage needed for manual brakes. I did this with an old Chevy wagon. Installed a vac booster but never changed the pedal and had the same thing happen to me as you are expirencing. let us know, jim
I changed from Hydraboost to Vac brakes on my dually & had to change the pedal for the correct ratio so the system worked properly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
jondancer

How can it be adjusted ?
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote