The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
Aruba1

Need new horns (1972)

My C20 has 3 horns and all 3 are bad. Such a shame on a 44 year old truck but I'll give it a break for now. Anyways, I need new horns and I am afraid of getting stuck with the new POS that are available are over the internet and in parts stores. I don't want "The Best Horns on the Market" but I do want something that will do a good job (my C20 now is a dually and it does carry a LOT of weight when it's out and about) and last for a long time. What are y'll suggestions? Thanks
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Need new horns (1972)

Before you give up on them..... have you verified voltage on the green wire? Good ground on the core support? If batt. & grd. are both good, try spraying WD-40 into each horn, let it soak awhile, then shake out the excess and try again. It's been known to work.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
Aruba1

Oh shoot, I just deleted my response in error so here I got again, lol.

Yes and No. I ran direct power to 2 of the horns with no luck. But I forgot about the WD40 trick that I have performed successfully in the past. I will try it this weekend. I really would like to keep the horns as I know they are quality. I also did a rebuild on the steering column and replace a defective horn relay. So I am hoping that the WD40 will do the trick. Good advice, thanks!
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba1 View Post
Oh shoot, I just deleted my response in error so here I got again, lol.

Yes and No. I ran direct power to 2 of the horns with no luck. But I forgot about the WD40 trick that I have performed successfully in the past. I will try it this weekend. I really would like to keep the horns as I know they are quality. I also did a rebuild on the steering column and replace a defective horn relay. So I am hoping that the WD40 will do the trick. Good advice, thanks!

You can also tap on them lightly with the wooden handle of a small hammer. Sometimes that frees things up inside..... I do it with direct power & ground applied to the horn.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote