The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
davepl

Anyone just buy a speed warning on eBay?

I see it went for $894:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-67-72-19...1YqQSs&vxp=mtr

And in response to the inevitable stream of "Who would pay that, after all, my truck only cost a dollar" posts that always follow someone paying a lot for a rare part, so far as I know there is only one NOS speed warning circulating the world.

Or put more simply, "if that's too much, how much will you sell me yours for"?

Having painstakingly restored one for my own truck, they're like working on a watch... very intricate devices.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
70cst

Re: Anyone just buy a speed warning on eBay?

I say pay what you want ....

If its the missing piece on your restoration - then that is what one is willing to pay. Not a big deal.

Sometimes the rare part is worth the extra money.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
tommys72

Good grief....thats an expensive gauge there

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
1972RedNeck

I wonder why no one has started repopping them?
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

If you can find a nice used one that works well they are worth $300.00 all day.

Finding an NOS is great if there is no shelf wear on the face. As others mentioned, if you need it and want it and can afford it, no harm
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Just makes mine worth more.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckvetter View Post
Just makes mine worth more.
You have an NOS speed warning? I'm not aware of any others. There are quite a few used ones out there (have one myself) but not NOS so far as I've seen.

Quote:
I wonder why no one has started repopping them?
Based on the kind of things people say about paying for used stuff, no one would pay what it costs to make one. They're a fair bit more complicated than a normal speedo, and I don't think they would be cheap to reproduce. Could they sell any at $500 a shot?

If anything you'd see them for Camaros first, I bet. I assume that was an option for them...
Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

There are other board members that have them NOS in the box. They just aren't for sale.

I think the extra option is kind of cool, but that's not one I would go crazy over NOS.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
davepl

Not all trucks merit an NOS piece. Some do. Who has one in the box? I don't need one, I'm just surprised. I've never heard anyone claim to.

Also, what are you looking for specifically in terms of the barefoot pedal set?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Chro...BUuAkb&vxp=mtr
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Thanks for the barefoot link. I don't have an ebay account or paypal account.

I don't remember the names of the members that have them. I do remember it came up on gauge threads.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Anyone just buy a speed warning on eBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
You have an NOS speed warning? I'm not aware of any others. There are quite a few used ones out there (have one myself) but not NOS so far as I've seen.

Based on the kind of things people say about paying for used stuff, no one would pay what it costs to make one. They're a fair bit more complicated than a normal speedo, and I don't think they would be cheap to reproduce. Could they sell any at $500 a shot?

If anything you'd see them for Camaros first, I bet. I assume that was an option for them...

Camaro's do have them! I would bet the cable adjuster would be a direct fit for a truck to. I have been wanting to play with one to see if it would fit a truck cluster with some trimming but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-Camaro-Sp...RYLNp4&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-Camaro...xWXMKZ&vxp=mtr

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
leddzepp

The camaro cable is the same design and will fit, but binds because of the increased length, according to someone that has tried it (don't remember who it was, maybe 71super).

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Anyone just buy a speed warning on eBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
The camaro cable is the same design and will fit, but binds because of the increased length, according to someone that has tried it (don't remember who it was, maybe 71super).
That could be a easy fix. You just have to make the curve of the cable wider. I don't see that being a problem with all the room behind the cluster. You could even tie wrap the cable to keep it from kinking up also.
You may could even cut the thing and recrimp it.
But as stated I haven't tried one.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
b.sharp

I don't have an NOS one but I do have a good used one in a Tac, air, speed warning dash cluster. Felt very lucky to run across it in a box of parts I bought with a junk 72 3/4 4x4.
b.sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #15
dmjlambert

OK, folks, please school me. What does this device do, how is it used? Is it worthwhile to install or usually just kept as collectable thing in a box because if its rarity?
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #16
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
OK, folks, please school me. What does this device do, how is it used? Is it worthwhile to install or usually just kept as collectable thing in a box because if its rarity?
I think how this works - your can set the red needle to a certain speed -lets say 65 mph - when you exceed this a buzzer went off.

If I am wrong - please correct me. Thanks

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:43 AM   #17
jocko

Yes, that is how it works (except it's the white needle). Its less expensive to let highway patrol do that for you for free though.
This rare NOS stuff is a double edged sword.. It's uber-cool when something you had rotting away on your shelf is suddenly worth 100 times what it cost new because it got popular overnight, but it's not so cool when you're the guy getting ready to buy one tomorrow. I, for one, (and I'm sure all here are would probably agree) have loved these trucks long before they were cool. Quite frankly, a little part of me wishes they never would've gotten so popular. More parts would be floating around out there for only the cost of an arm, no leg involved (but then again, the repop business wouldn't be as robust as it is). Somewhat envious of the one guy in the room that likes an old homely truck that nobody else seems to be interested in - he has a plentiful, inexpensive parts supply and no competition to bid against him! Anyway, supply and demand, I get it. No problem paying a high price if it's what you want - and by the same token, no problem being the one that would never pay that much for something that isn't exactly as important as a steering wheel. Lord knows I've fallen on both sides of the fence on this count, ha.

Last edited by jocko; 02-27-2017 at 12:55 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Never heard of one. BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ............Very cool.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #19
leddzepp

I have one on each truck and one on the bench I'm slowly restoring. They are intricate with a lot of tiny moving parts. The small gears are delicate and often broken when you come across one.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:17 AM   #20
dmjlambert

I don't know. I think about $200 to $250 spent on a aftermarket cruise control may be better. I'm sure I would find the buzzing to be very annoying about the first 2 times I heard it. I wonder how many people have these and actually set them when they go on a trip, and actually benefit from them (meaning they actually hear it buzz regularly during the trip and slow down because of it, and then drive by a trooper along the way who is trying to catch speeders). I'm going to guess there could be 1 or 2 people.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 AM   #21
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I don't know. I think about $200 to $250 spent on a aftermarket cruise control may be better. I'm sure I would find the buzzing to be very annoying about the first 2 times I heard it. I wonder how many people have these and actually set them when they go on a trip, and actually benefit from them (meaning they actually hear it buzz regularly during the trip and slow down because of it, and then drive by a trooper along the way who is trying to catch speeders). I'm going to guess there could be 1 or 2 people.

Probably rarely because what Zep said. More a cool option you never use.........Ha! I know I wouldn't but once every few years just for "show & tell".
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:06 AM   #22
FirstOwner69

Somewhere long, long ago in my youth, a car I drove had one of these. It may have been a '66 Olds Delta 88 convertible my mom had. Anytime I drove that car, the speed warning was set at its max. Not because I was a speeder, but because it was so annoying if used as designed!
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #23
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Anyone just buy a speed warning on eBay?

I had one for about 15 years in my 71 cluster. Did I use it yea but only every now and then when I was playing around. Mine stayed up at 100MPH most of the time. I put a later model clock in the blank hole.
Was it factory correct No but my truck wasn't built for stock appearance.
I took it out when I installed all the www.speedhut.com gauges with GPS speedometer.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #24
James the III

It be not all that hard to add to any stock speedo..
A cheap alarm clock time setting knob to se the "hand" and a micro switch to trigger it when the speedo needle hits it.
We did something like this in our circle track car for pit row, using an adjustable(knob) rpm switch, and set the rpm to buzz into the ear bud.. We used rpm scale because of gear changes in the rear for different tracks.. A street vehicle you could rescale the knob/dial to mph.. Easy enough to do with plotting the mph with a tach.. Now set the knob to the mph and you can have it trigger a buzzer and /or light.. and it be easy to add a led to a truck stock speedo.. To have the light and buzzer..
Bonus is if you leave the rpm scale and add the mph scale now you have an adjustable shift light for track day..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #25
tommys72

Its a cool option i guess. Not 900 bucks cool to me though. Im pretty sure if i had one itd be set at a 100 like Andy's. The buzz would probably drive me insane. My truck doesnt really need one anyway, i drive it like a grandpa, even though im not close to being a grandpa.

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote