The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2003, 01:20 AM   #1
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

Fan Clutch replacement

I never seem to have much luck with a fan clutch. I'm thinking about just hooking up direct and wearing earplugs.

OK so I loose a mile to the gallon and it's noisy. Any other negatives?

Any good suggestions? This is on a 6.2 diesel and the current fan clutch seems to wait until melting radiator parts come into contact before it kicks in. I mostly use it to pull trailers around. I don't have the bucks right now to spring for and electric setup.

Thanks in advance.
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 02:45 AM   #2
SWINGSAX68
Now the others dig........

have you tried a new clutch before...from what I understand there are two different kinds...the super long lasting kind and the 1 year one. the super long lasting one would obviously be the more expensive one. What exact problems do you have with your clutch. I was wondering if deisel engine have an easy to change thermostat....I know you can use a lower temp thermostat on gas engines...maybe that may help you a bit. A new fan clutch should however make a considerable difference.Just from my expereince with fan clutches.
LOOKING FOR A 67 4 DOOR IMPALA!!!Just like Sam and Dean Winchester!! 'Cause Mustangs are for p^**#$ and you can fit a body in the trunk of a 67 Impala
MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies Texas State University-San Marcos, TX
Certified Music Educator
I hope Mom is up there watching and being my Guardian Angel

"I've got a fever.....and the only prescription.....IS MORE COW BELL"
-The Legendary: Bruce Dickenson

"F#$@ 'em up!!!!!!"
-The Legendary: Rogelio Escobar

TRUCKY LINKS
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457750
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461184
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472848
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417541
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477788
SWINGSAX68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:03 AM   #3
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

The fan clutch just doesn't kick on until the temp is near 240. It is ok if I am just cruising, but pulling a load over the pass, it is not OK. I bought a hay swather and hauled it in several loads over the Cascade Range last week and I had to really work at not completely blowing my coolant out the top. Once the fan kicks in, it cools right down and stays there, but you have to keep the load on, or it will cool down too far and the fan turns off and then it heats up again. Pain in the rear!

Anyone have experience with Hayden fan clutches? My parts guy has one for $75.00. I have bought the cheapies before and had terrible luck, so I am hesitant.
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
tom hand
CCRider

Two things come things come to mind...have you verified that it actually that hot and you are not getting worried over an incorrect guage? Is your fan shroud in place and undamaged? The fan shroud is very important with a fan clutch because the heated air needs to be pulled over the clutch so it turns on at the correct time