The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
nrb's70gmc

Electronic Flashers Clicking?

Hay All,

after installing led's and the electronic flashers (blinkers/hazards) they work great (installed maybe a month ago) with the clear gmc (lmc truck) lenes and amber led bulbs they look amazing. and work great.

Fast forward to today
walk outside and my truck is making a clicking sound
open the door and felt the electronic flasher in the hazard spot (it was clicking without the hazards being on)

i turned on the hazards (work fine) turn off and the formentioned clicking continues (noticed a slightly diffrent clicking rythem between the harzard on&off)

i pulled the hazard flasher out (no more clicking lol) turned key on/started truck.

the blinker flasher starts making the same clicking noise (turn key off) it stops.

im confused.

my set up is two electronic flashers (w/external ground wire) connected to a polarity adapter.
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
nrb's70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Electronic Flashers Clicking?

Try swapping the two flashers to see if the problem moves, stops, or stays the same.
Can you show us a simple drawing or photo of how the flashers are installed.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Try swapping the two flashers to see if the problem moves, stops, or stays the same.
Can you show us a simple drawing or photo of how the flashers are installed.
http://www.amazon.com/United-Pacific-90652-LED-Fla... http://www.amazon.com/United-Pacific-90652-LED-Fla...
This what im using (trying to share pictures is A PITA with photobucket now a days)

they are installed the same as a standard flasher (plug in polarity reverser-plug flasher into that) + the ground wires.
1970 2wd 3/4 ton- 2004 crate 350 thorley tri-y headers-edelbrock performer eps manifold 600cfm performer carb, crane cams energizer cam,lifters, dual 2.5 magnaflows, mallory HEI, powermaster 140 amp altenator, griffen aluminum radiator.(8 MPG)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

The way it is supposed to work is the flasher unit is hooked to the fuse and the contacts in side are closed and 12 volts positive goes to the switch (turn or hazard). When you operate the switch the 12+ goes out to the light bulb through the filament and to ground. The current draw of the bulb causes the bimetallic contact in the flasher unit to heat up and open the contact then it cools and recloses repeatedly until the switch is opened back up (turn or hazard) Because heat up time of the bimetallic contact is affected by load trailer lights or bigger bulbs affect the flash rate.
The problem with LEDs is they don't have enough load to make the bimetallic contact to heat up. One of the cures is an electronic flasher. It is a powered logic device (thus the need for the ground wire). It too is looking for a ground path so it can start flashing. My guess is that you have a slight ground in the steering column wiring or the switch itself. Try to recreate the problem and unplug the connector at the base of the column. If the problem disappears then you will have to access the turn signal switch/hazard switch for an inspection.
If the clicking continues then there is a ground between the flasher and the plug.
Your new flashers may be very sensitive to the ground needed to trigger operation and just damp wires may cause it to operate.
I am unfamiliar with the operation of the polarity reverser. Did you use them? Did you have to make sure all of the new LEDs were plugged in the same way for correct polarity at each socket?
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
nrb's70gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The way it is supposed to work is the flasher unit is hooked to the fuse and the contacts in side are closed and 12 volts positive goes to the switch (turn or hazard). When you operate the switch the 12+ goes out to the light bulb through the filament and to ground. The current draw of the bulb causes the bimetallic contact in the flasher unit to heat up and open the contact then it cools and recloses repeatedly until the switch is opened back up (turn or hazard) Because heat up time of the bimetallic contact is affected by load trailer lights or bigger bulbs affect the flash rate.
The problem with LEDs is they don't have enough load to make the bimetallic contact to heat up. One of the cures is an electronic flasher. It is a powered logic device (thus the need for the ground wire). It too is looking for a ground path so it can start flashing. My guess is that you have a slight ground in the steering column wiring or the switch itself. Try to recreate the problem and unplug the connector at the base of the column. If the problem disappears then you will have to access the turn signal switch/hazard switch for an inspection.
If the clicking continues then there is a ground between the flasher and the plug.
Your new flashers may be very sensitive to the ground needed to trigger operation and just damp wires may cause it to operate.
I am unfamiliar with the operation of the polarity reverser. Did you use them? Did you have to make sure all of the new LEDs were plugged in the same way for correct polarity at each socket?
thanks for your info

its been wet and rainy out so damp ground wires could be a issue
all the bulbs are 1157-1156 replacments (only go in one way)

becouse the leds are reverse polarety i had to use the reversers (just switches the two flasher pins around.

i also have a electronic flasher that doesnt need a external ground. (dont use it couse its silent - doesnt make a clicking noise)

will put it back in when the weather allows.