The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Mr_Rich

Automotive employment

Any advice? I had a long career in telco but due to technological changes and the way the business was headed jobs just aren't there any more. I've always worked on my own vehicles and way surpassed normal maintenance activities like oil changes, etc. I rebuilt the suspension in my old car, and done drum to disk brake swaps, engine swaps like the one I completed in my '98 Firebird. I replaced the LS1/ T56 with a new (at the time) LS6/ T56 and I have over 30K miles since that time. Replaced the engine and trans in my K-truck a number of times. I'm experienced with electrical. I'd like to get back to work with something I'd enjoy and have a talent in. There's a drawback; age. I'm retirement age and I like working on cars.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
abig84

Re: Automotive employment

I'm sure you could get a job at a independent shop, almost every shop by me has help wanted signs. The last shop I was at hired a older guy, had to be late 50s or early 60s. Working on cars was fun for a few years but it became just a miserable experience working on other people's headaches. Hung up my tools and changed fields after 8 years. Just be prepared to work around miserable grumpy people who shine and complain about every stuck bolt bolt
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

Scotty Kilmer is widely recognized and liked. He made a video on this question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPzqmCrT15A
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
GIZZ

Everybody that's young and starting out, I discourage getting into automotive as a career. Because you're older and wanting to do something you may enjoy, give it a shot. Your enjoyment will depend on the shop you're working in, the stuff that comes through the shop, the people you work for and with. The maintenance shops are a grind to me, speed shop or restoration shop would be more interesting.

'69 c10 panel, '75 c35 flatdeck car hauler
GIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

Find a classic car dealership .They are always looking for us "old guys" who know the classic car mechanics ,

She's pretty cute I may go apply here myself !

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/lab...638832602.html

https://www.smokymountaintraders.com/
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Full time mechanic for $800 a week? What are they smoking? I made $20 an hour freelance back in the '70s and '80s.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Full time mechanic for $800 a week? What are they smoking? I made $20 an hour freelance back in the '70s and '80s.
Your in Ca , Over here in hillbilly land you can buy an acre lot with lake and mountain views ,No earth quakes, No constant wild fires , No crazy DMV , No traffic, No state income tax, and a state budget surplus. For $10,000.00 What would that cost out there ? I would imagine there would be a lot of battery,tire and tune up work

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 07-22-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Your in Ca , Over here in hillbilly land you can buy an acre lot with lake and mountain views ,No earth quakes, No constant wild fires , No crazy DMV , No traffic, No state income tax, and a state budget surplus. For $10,000.00 What would that cost out there ? I would imagine there would be a lot of battery,tire and tune up work
Fair enough. I live in a 40-year old tract home that has a current resale price of $600k+. What you are talking about would be closer to $1M, depending on where it was situated. Out in the boonies in the desert, you could get it for around $250k. No lake or green hills, though.

But I get to watch my cute neighbor's butt wiggle during an earthquake when she's sun bathing in the back yard. We picked this place that is out of a flood zone, far enough from the mountain shrubbery (what there is of it) that our house won't catch fire, and just far enough from the ocean to avoid a tsunami. This place has also survived two major earthquakes- '71 in Sylmar, and '94 in Northridge. I've only had a couple of problems with the DMV, myself. But then I handle what I can online, and the last three new cars I bought, the dealer handled the first registration.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #9
Grumpy old man

Wow ! This is what 600k will buy you around here .
And the taxes are $2,300 a year on this place

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...22_rect/10_zm/
Old 07-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Nice! Before anyone thinks I'm rolling in cash, just know that my mortgage started in 2002 on this place, and it's over $2k a month. My wife had to go to work in order to buy this place. If we had stayed in the last place, my mortgage would be less that half, and it would have been paid for. It was a whole lot less than this place, that's for sure. My wife lost her job, and if she doesn't find another soon, I'll have to suck my 401(k) dry to live.

Of course, if we had stayed in the last place, I wouldn't have to worry about a mortgage. I'd be in jail for killing that jackass that lived next door. Then I'd have a different bit of real estate to worry about.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 AM   #11
LeesTruk

Mr.Rich, not trying to be a "downer" here, but there is more to auto mechanics than what you've alluded to. I started in the trade, for six years, on my own, before getting a job at a Toyota dealership. Was there for almost 20yrs., then went to a small independent shop until retirement. There's so much more to know than engine swaps and suspension work. You've got to have a good handle on electro/mechanical theory, and diagnostic abilities. And to be honest, fellas our age have bodies that are plain worn out!! That 80 pound truck tire you used to heft when younger now feels like 200 pounds, and that brake job takes a little longer because the hands ain't as pliable and forgiving as they once were. Don't get me wrong, because I still love to spin wrenches on the occasional "side job", but at 71, its' too much for this young old man's body to do on a daily basis. BTW, I started all of this when I was 36, which is late in life for a fledgling technician
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote