The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
Asshat

White letter Radial T/As?

I was going to get a set of BFG Radial T/As for my truck. Damn, I heard they don’t make them in 16”.

Now what?
Let’s see those classic white lettered tires.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: White letter Radial T/As?

They are 15s, but still white letters out
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #3
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
They are 15s, but still white letters out
Looks good!
Old 08-05-2020, 01:38 AM   #4
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

When I was in high school the white letter Radial T'A's and Cragar S/S rims were all the rage. But I could never afford either of them.

Coker Tire might have them. But they'll be expensive.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

T/As are classic tires. 15s are classic wheels. That is the classic look. These come from the days before the industry shoot themselves in the foot with a bunch jumbled up fashion statement wheel and tire sizes. Life used to be so simple and trucks looked just fine with the size that belonged on them. I'm not knocking 16s, those were also an option. But only as heavier ply narrow actual truck tires. 16s were intended for 3/4t and 1t trucks and it was an upgrade (meaning increasing truck's hauling ability) to put them on a 1/2t. Now people want the classic look in larger sizes, an oxymoron in my eyes.

Not knocking what anyone else wants for their truck. Just explaining because you seem to not understand why T/As don't come in modern sizes. Maybe in time, just as the industry responded to the demand for the big hoop Hot Wheels look by the generation that grew up with them, BFG with come out with the classic tire in modern sizes. That's what happened with the attempted classic look with hoop size steelies that make hubcaps look like a spindle cover lost in the center. Sorry, kinda hard to leave my opinion on the shelf after my lifelong interest in vehicle aesthetics

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
T/As are classic tires. 15s are classic wheels. That is the classic look. These come from the days before the industry shoot themselves in the foot with a bunch jumbled up fashion statement wheel and tire sizes. Life used to be so simple and trucks looked just fine with the size that belonged on them. I'm not knocking 16s, those were also an option. But only as heavier ply narrow actual truck tires. 16s were intended for 3/4t and 1t trucks and it was an upgrade (meaning increasing truck's hauling ability) to put them on a 1/2t. Now people want the classic look in larger sizes, an oxymoron in my eyes.

Not knocking what anyone else wants for their truck. Just explaining because you seem to not understand why T/As don't come in modern sizes. Maybe in time, just as the industry responded to the demand for the big hoop Hot Wheels look by the generation that grew up with them, BFG with come out with the classic tire in modern sizes. That's what happened with the attempted classic look with hoop size steelies that make hubcaps look like a spindle cover lost in the center. Sorry, kinda hard to leave my opinion on the shelf after my lifelong interest in vehicle aesthetics
15's are 'classic wheels' huh? Please don't say that around Model A club members. I would fear for your safety....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

LOL! We're not talking about back then. This is about the second half of the 20th century 1/2t trucks. Weekend before last I was at a Model A swap meet here in town at Bratton's www.brattons.com . I carried a pair of those wheels to my friend's truck. I saw friends made a lot more
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My truck has always had BFGs with white letters out. Little dirty so they don't show up well in this one.

Still rolling on 15's, every time I think about something different... I never do it.

Don't get me wrong, I like other stuff... I put 17's on my mustang (stock was 14!)... my new stuff has 18's, 19's, and 20's...
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I feel same way Jesse. I keep thinking abnout 17's, but I so like the look of the 15" and rubber better.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
Ziegelsteinfaust

Look up tire rack. They have a drop down menu. That lets you see pretty much every available tire size. While there is no TA's in 16's. There are a couple of close contenders that I have used before.

I still love 15's, but they don't perform well enough for the stuff I have a tendency to do. With the right rims 17" rims with 50 series tires look very close at 30 foot. 17's with 60 series tires are a bit big, but nice if the truck is stock height. Plus with the size having not been left on the vine to rot. They handle much better. If that is important to you.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #11
Asshat

Quote:

Yeah, I hear what you’re saying. I really like the look of classic tires and wheels. Not a fan of the low profile tires everyone seems to be using. My truck is a 3/4 ton, and I didn’t want to convert the wheels to 15”, too much work.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
Yeah, I hear what you’re saying. I really like the look of classic tires and wheels. Not a fan of the low profile tires everyone seems to be using. My truck is a 3/4 ton, and I didn’t want to convert the wheels to 15”, too much work.
There are 16" tires out there. They won't be BFG's & I don't know of any w/the old-school solid raised white letters. I have 255/70's & 215/75's on my 3/4 tons 16" (6"/8") steelies. They're black-walls…. but I never ran the raised while lettering on the outside anyway.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-05-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
Asshat

Talking Re: White letter Radial T/As?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
There are 16" tires out there. They won't be BFG's & I don't know of any w/the old-school solid raised white letters. I have 255/70's & 215/75's on my 3/4 tons 16" (6"/8") steelies. They're black-walls…. but I never ran the raised while lettering on the outside anyway.
They gotta be raised white letters - it’s a 63!
Old 08-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

When I was a kid in the 70's Radial TA's with the letters out was THE thing. Took me awhile to actually afford a set. I had them on my 69 AMX, and it looked great.

We took my AMX up on the back roads and melted the old tires off of them because I was getting the TA's. But after I spent the dough on the new tires, no more burnouts.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Yeash, Radial T/As were never made for trucks, so no 16s for 3/4Ts. The T/A 15s you see on pickups are P-series I believe

There are white markers for tire letters. My son has the Proxy letters on his XRunner detailed in white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I still love 15's, but they don't perform well enough for the stuff I have a tendency to do. With the right rims 17" rims with 50 series tires look very close at 30 foot. 17's with 60 series tires are a bit big, but nice if the truck is stock height. Plus with the size having not been left on the vine to rot. They handle much better. If that is important to you.
Oh I dunno. Handling is everything to me. The difference in handling is so miniscule any difference can be overcome and surpassed with better driving. Catch me if you can

Tim

Old 08-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #16
SCOTI

Quote:
They gotta be raised white letters - it’s a 63!

Quote:
Personal preference. I've never been a fan of advertising on my stuff; back then, when I was also on the streets in the 80's, or now.

My 1st 64 Chevy truck in '82 had raised white letter tires from the previous owner & glass-pack equipped exhaust w/the manufacturers sticker on the back glass. He was one of the cool/popular kids in school. First items of business for the new owner after learning the Competition Plus shifter? Flipping the tires to black-walls, cutting off the glass-packs for some sonic-turbo style mufflers, & peeling off the sticker. I never was part of the 'In' crowd & I'm ok w/that.

It did have a cool radio station sticker top/center of the front windshield. I just cut off the stations call letters but left the character & 'name' because I liked them .

It was white letter tires then. It's the faux stick on tire lettering now.
Heck.... I removed the logo off of the multi-piston caliper/14" brakes for my next build as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #17
Loco83

15x10.
Attached Images

Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #18
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Yeash, Radial T/As were never made for trucks, so no 16s for 3/4Ts. The T/A 15s you see on pickups are P-series I believe

There are white markers for tire letters. My son has the Proxy letters on his XRunner detailed in white

Oh I dunno. Handling is everything to me. The difference in handling is so miniscule any difference can be overcome and surpassed with better driving. Catch me if you can
Go to tire rack or the tire seller of your choice. 17's in 50, and 60 series have higher weight capacity. Plus lower treadware ratings. Also tires have listing for street/sport truck, and high performance all season. Where 15" 60 series staying away from drag radials or dedicated road race stuff are listed as performance.

Like I said 15's have been left out to rot on the vine. Due to changing consumer, and OEM tastes. Is is not that they couldn't make the tire. Only they have not.

In a full weight C10 15" Radial TA's howl hard when pushed, and the side walls flex heavily. With 50 series there is alot less flex, but i had 250 to treadware. So it is not a very apples to apples comparison. As they do not make the "same" tire in the different sizes.

The 17's were designed for the butter hog weight of today's trucks, and suv's. Old school TA's were designed for yesterday's. Although uograded here, and there.

I get it we all love what we love. Personally i love the 350sbc, and continue to build them even though the LS is now so much cheaper hp for hp. I just don't lie to myself.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

The tall wheel/short sidewall came about for use on road circuit racing, light sports cars, on perfect and clean tracks to provide less sidewall flex but primarily to allow for larger brakes. For street vehicles, first came the custom big wheelz for the gangster hoopdee BLVD cruisers in the 'hood, the counter to the traditional lowriders in the barrio. Then the new breed of younger truck boyz went to frame laying and big wheelz. Lastly the car makers, who are now mostly truck/SUV makers followed suit, as they always do. There was never a performance issue with the traditional consistent sizes used for decades throughout all the design and performance changes. The end result is tire places having difficulty stocking the infinite configuration and a huge jump in tire prices, as well as the practical sized wheels and tires now being harder to find from the only concerned with high volume sales online tire websites and some tire companies with the same mentality dropping out on those sizes. Most people are happy putting their nose to the one ahead while the more independent thinkers feel shoehorned into the change that is merely based on vanity for the fickle consumer. People who entered into things somewhere in the middle of all this, or weren't around long enough when things were simple and stable don't tend to mind that things have become overly complicated and willy nilly. That is my take on things from a long standing interest in coolifying vehicles. I'm not hateful or too rigid to change for the better I have no use for change merely for the sake of change. I just know what I like and I like a classic vehicle with a classic look, stock to performance to custom.. That's all

T/A stands for Trans Am I Love it!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 08-06-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #20
Asshat

Quote:
The tall wheel/short sidewall came about for use on road circuit racing, light sports cars, on perfect and clean tracks to provide less sidewall flex but primarily to allow for larger brakes. For street vehicles, first came the custom big wheelz for the gangster hoopdee BLVD cruisers in the 'hood, the counter to the traditional lowriders in the barrio. Then the new breed of younger truck boyz went to frame laying and big wheelz. Lastly the car makers, who are now mostly truck/SUV makers followed suit, as they always do. There was never a performance issue with the traditional consistent sizes used for decades throughout all the design and performance changes. The end result is tire places having difficulty stocking the infinite configuration and a huge jump in tire prices, as well as the practical sized wheels and tires now being harder to find from the only concerned with high volume sales online tire websites and some tire companies with the same mentality dropping out on those sizes. Most people are happy putting their nose to the one ahead while the more independent thinkers feel shoehorned into the change that is merely based on vanity for the fickle consumer. People who entered into things somewhere in the middle of all this, or weren't around long enough when things were simple and stable don't tend to mind that things have become overly complicated and willy nilly. That is my take on things from a long standing interest in coolifying vehicles. I'm not hateful or too rigid to change for the better I have no use for change merely for the sake of change. I just know what I like and I like a classic vehicle with a classic look, stock to performance to custom.. That's all

T/A stands for Trans Am I Love it!

Trans Am Racing - YouTube
I read somewhere the T/A on BFG tires was for “Traction Advantage”.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #21
SCOTI

Quote:
I read somewhere the T/A on BFG tires was for “Traction Advantage”.
IDK about that based off of my experiences w/them
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #22
72c20customcamper

Quote:
15's are 'classic wheels' huh? Please don't say that around Model A club members. I would fear for your safety....
Last I heard model A's are antique not classics
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Well yeah, there is that

Tim

Old 08-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #24
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Last I heard model A's are antique not classics
I never considered my Model A an antique. The only thing antique about it was the guy driving it.

I have always had issues finding wheels/tires for my C/20. I ran slot mags on it for years with 16.5 tires. But they just kept getting harder and harder to find and the prices were high. When I had a blowout I said forget it and went to 16 inch steelies.I miss the slots but they were just too much trouble.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:00 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

So what diameter rim did you have on your not so classic or antique Model A? And you might not be the most popular Model A owner at a Model A meet, as Scotti suggested.

There are actual classifications for various time frames in auto history. I think what Huskie Edition Custom Camper was getting at is "classic" means older but not yet antique and "antique" means older than classic, the oildest. I don't know that a definite line is drawn and the general definition of antique is even relative, the line keeps moving up in time. you call yourself an antique and you are a generation younger than the Model A. My mom was born 1930. Anyone call her antique gonna get him knots on his head

Both sets look great. As far as I know Firestone still makes the TransForce HTs in 9.50. I guess those are expensive? I did the same transformation on my K2500, only because the 35/12.50s were not only expensive but all terrain tread became unavailable leaving only mud tires. Not available at your corner tire shop in every town, so buying 5 is a must. That's about $1,500 @ $300ea.

I had the full variety of 16.5 "classic" custom wheels for my K2500 but landed on 8 x 16 skid loader wheels
Attached Images

Tim