The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

How To Get A Modern Ride From A Classic

Spend a heap of money! Cool! Cool! Cool! Or in Jay's single word used on everything, "It's ridiculous"

I had just seen this video when I saw a member's post asking the question about 67-72s

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: How To Get A Modern Ride From A Classic

I wonder if Jay ever gets pulled over by the police? I bet they give him a pass when they see its Jay.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:32 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I bet you are right.

One comment Dennis made threw me off. Wasn't he a car guy in '72? Maybe he's older than I think. He said something to the effect of questioning what made Jay want to buy an old car like that in '72. That was very normal back then in my world. I started driving in '71. There was a tiny fraction of "old car guys" back then compared to these days. Mostly older guys and mostly antique, early-30s and back. Then there were the tri-five Chevy guys. Even that seemed more '55s and '57s. The fat fenders and shoe boxes were overlooked. Most interest in tri-fives was hot rodding. The rest of the '50s cars we teenagers thought were just funky cool looking and more than that, cheap! Many were survivors owned by grandpa and grandma. Big old boats built like a battleship you could haul a lot of friends, camp out in, tap things and barely hurt with those heavy bumpers (or fenders), lots of pep in the pedal, parts in junkyards, we liked their style, and great field and woods drivers for parties or camping. People would practically give them away. Among my better friends was a '55 Chrysler, '56 Olds, '55 Cadillac, '56 VW, '56 Chevy, and more. All either offered free for their removal, handed down, or no more than a couple hundred dollars. In my world it was typical for teens to run the '50s cars. Great memories! I can totally relate to Jay's love of that car due to the memories. And he described many same reasons I had for loving them

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I bet you are right.

One comment Dennis made threw me off. Wasn't he a car guy in '72? Maybe he's older than I think. He said something to the effect of questioning what made Jay want to buy an old car like that in '72. That was very normal back then in my world. I started driving in '71. There was a tiny fraction of "old car guys" back then compared to these days. Mostly older guys and mostly antique, early-30s and back. Then there were the tri-five Chevy guys. Even that seemed more '55s and '57s. The fat fenders and shoe boxes were overlooked. Most interest in tri-fives was hot rodding. The rest of the '50s cars we teenagers thought were just funky cool looking and more than that, cheap! Many were survivors owned by grandpa and grandma. Big old boats built like a battleship you could haul a lot of friends, camp out in, tap things and barely hurt with those heavy bumpers (or fenders), lots of pep in the pedal, parts in junkyards, we liked their style, and great field and woods drivers for parties or camping. People would practically give them away. Among my better friends was a '55 Chrysler, '56 Olds, '55 Cadillac, '56 VW, '56 Chevy, and more. All either offered free for their removal, handed down, or no more than a couple hundred dollars. In my world it was typical for teens to run the '50s cars. Great memories! I can totally relate to Jay's love of that car due to the memories. And he described many same reasons I had for loving them

You forgot to mention how many people you could get in one of them "big old boats" for "Dollar a car load" night at the drive in theaters...... My '65 Catalina 4 door would hold a lot!

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I bet you are right.

One comment Dennis made threw me off. Wasn't he a car guy in '72? Maybe he's older than I think. He said something to the effect of questioning what made Jay want to buy an old car like that in '72. That was very normal back then in my world.

its normal in this current world too, a 55 was only 17 years old in 72. my wife drives a 06 honda, thats 15 years old, and I drive an 02 caddy and a 97 M3, 19 and 24 years old.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
You forgot to mention how many people you could get in one of them "big old boats" for "Dollar a car load" night at the drive in theaters...... My '65 Catalina 4 door would hold a lot!

LockDoc
I did forget. Thanks! Jay pointed out the big trunk for a great drive-in seat. He also mentioned a special benefit to that big back seat when you wanted to 'get together" with that special someone. I never knew that

Tim

Old 12-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I started driving in '79. My first car was 10 years old, a '69 Camaro RS/SS.
Over the next 5 or 6 years, I had 3 of them.
The body was a little rough and I didn't have the skills do deal with that at the time. I sold it off to get one with a near perfect body and did the mechanical work on that one, but then realized that I couldn't drive it in the winter.
That's when I got the CJ-5 along with the 4x4 bug. Sold the Camaro to buy a house. The 3rd one was just a cheap driver for my daily, actually owned that one the longest

The 1st gen Camaros were hinting at becoming the classics that they achieved, but still affordable. Back then a 10yr old car with over 100k miles was used up and cheap enough for a kid to own, waaay different than it is today.
If I had only known what that car would be worth someday and been able to hold onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:15 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Back then a 10yr old car with over 100k miles was used up and cheap enough for a kid to own, waaay different than it is today.
If I had only known what that car would be worth someday and been able to hold onto it.
Tell me about it. I bought a new '68 Camaro RS (327, 4-speed), traded it 8 months later for a super clean '65 Corvette convertible (327/365hp, Muncie), got a new El Camino (396/375hp) in 1969, a new Camaro RS in 1971, found a clean '66 Corvette coupe (327/350hp) a few years later.... well, you get the picture. Wish I still had those and some others I have had over the years. All that stuff was so cheap back then and I probably figured it would always be like that. Not the first time I was mistaken. Oh well, I never had storage space anyway. At least I got to experience those cars.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote