The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #1
pwdcougar

sound deadening material

I spent the afternoon searching through the site looking for recommendations for sound deadening material for my Suburban. Since it's a Suburban I'm going to need a lot of it and some of the stuff is wicked expensive and I'm cheap. Lots of the old threads are 5-6 years old and I'm not sure the comparisons are up to date. So, what are you guys using?
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
sick472

Re: sound deadening material

For the DIY'er...Jute padding is a good option for the floors along with a thin, flexible rubber matting (or not). This all depends on your application. Peal-N-Seal roofing is a very good substitute for sound deadener (dynamat). I do not advise putting peal-n-seal on the underside of a roof or on vertical surfaces like inside doors. It is a tar-like substance and can get hot enough to let go and gum up the works (dynamat is a butal rubber with adhesive). Peal-N-Seal works very well for floors and works well for firewalls and such given that there is a firewall pad or the like over it in case it does let go...it won't go far. Many hardware stores carry it in narrow strips...you just have to shop around and find it in 3 foot wide rolls.

I have done two vehicles and have learned to cover the wide open flat spots with peal-n-seal, cover that with thin jute padding, then thin rubber, then carpet.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:40 AM   #3
Big Kev-O

I like Kilmat. It’s made from butyl rubber with an aluminum skin. It very similar to that expensive Dynamat but the price is fairly affordable. The cheap solutions like Peel-n-seal are made from asphalt which can cause issues.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:14 AM   #4
Rocketir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
I like Kilmat. It’s made from butyl rubber with an aluminum skin. It very similar to that expensive Dynamat but the price is fairly affordable. The cheap solutions like Peel-n-seal are made from asphalt which can cause issues.
I will be using this when the time comes, and plus you can get it from Amazon. Check out the reviews there.
Jesse
Rocketir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:43 AM   #5
Richard

An important thing to note. You do not have to cover an entire panel with material to deaden it. Strips or patches will give good results. Making a panel "dead" and restricting sound from getting through from the outside are two different things to deal with.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
SkidmoreGarage

I used Noico from Amazon. It's 80mil versus 50mil thickness for the Kilmat, at about the same price. It's a Russian company with the product being made in Russia and I have noticed the price fluctuates quite a bit, FYI. I found it after researching online. It was good quality. It makes a huge difference, it's not a modern car but it also doesn't sound like a tin can rolling down the road.

I would not recommend installing any of the Home Depot noise control items in one of these old trucks on the cab floor. These trucks all leak, and I can confirm that jute padding, tar pads, etc. All absorb and hold moisture against the sheet metal. They will also grow mold on the jute or the paper backing. Tar paper, jute, cardboard, and vinyl are what these trucks came with, but it's 2022 and technology has changed.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #7
BigBird05

Has anyone tried the roofing membrane that is used on houses as ice dam sealer. It stands up to the summer temperatures of a hot roof.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:52 PM   #8
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
I would not recommend installing any of the Home Depot noise control items in one of these old trucks on the cab floor. These trucks all leak, and I can confirm that jute padding, tar pads, etc. All absorb and hold moisture against the sheet metal. They will also grow mold on the jute or the paper backing. Tar paper, jute, cardboard, and vinyl are what these trucks came with, but it's 2022 and technology has changed.
I've often wondered about this issue. My truck is a base model with the rubber floor mat. Under that is the "tar paper" then a thin white foam layer. My truck is a pretty nice survivor but the rubber mat is cracked and torn so I bought a replacement. I haven't put it in yet because I was thinking about adding some modern sound deadening material but was concerned that even though they are adhesive backed, water could still get under there and cause rust. Also, you'd never know it because you can't lift that stuff up to check. However, I've never seen anyone express concern about that when installing sound deadening material on the cab floor. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue with modern materials since, as SkidmoreGarage said, "these trucks all leak".

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:31 PM   #9
AllGoNoShow

Has anyone tried removing these products and are there ones that remove easier then others? I want to add some to my cab, but in a few years I'll be repainting the cab and don't want to be in a position where it is impossible to get the sound-deading off.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:45 PM   #10
NJ68stepside

I bought lizard skin. For 2 reasons.
1. Building a step side and I want to put a barrier inside the rear fenders so it doesn’t get a star in the paint from stones.
2. The stick down mats really look like a pain to apply with air pockets and rollers.

So the only bad review I read on the lizard skin is that it is expensive. It’s a 3 part system that looks like it would take almost a week to get it all applied with proper drying.

So we’ll see.

Previous cars:
1973 mustang convertible
2003 mustang Mach 1
Now building resto mod 68 C10 step
NJ68stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:15 PM   #11
Bubfn

I used Kilmat from amazon. Easy to cut and put down. Pretty inexpensive, 36 sq ft about 60 for the 80mil. Good reviews on Amazon
Bubfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:31 PM   #12
dagnabbitt

Being a cheapskate myself, I intend to try off-the-shelf duct insulation for my next project, particularly in the doors and anywhere I think that the thickness of the material will not be a problem.

I have dynamatted a cab before and although it wasn't really that expensive, I like the idea of using something that doubles as a heat shield while being more affordable too. For something with the square footage of a suburban, maybe worth a look. The below product would need a little contact cement, they also sell this stuff with a built in adhesive.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reflective-Ins.../dp/B01BDWY8ZG
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:57 PM   #13
MP&C

We used Kilmat throughout... a bit cheaper alternative to the dynomat..

Old 02-09-2022, 12:11 AM   #14
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
We used Kilmat throughout... a bit cheaper alternative to the dynomat..

That looks nice
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:38 AM   #15
golfandcars

I will second/third/fourth on kilmat, i have used it on 2 different vehicles now and been happy with the results. I have used the Summit brand heatshield/sound deadening combo on my 72, from what i can tell its basically the same stuff as kilmat but you can buy it in huge sheets for pretty cheap. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend both.
golfandcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:27 AM   #16
70cst

This is what I used on my truck

(B-QUIET SOUND DEADENING SINCE 2001)
Welcome To B-Quite Sound Deadening. We Have Been The Leader In Sound Deadening and Sound Dampening For Over 20 Years With Thousands Of Happy Customers. We Offer Free Shipping In North America On Orders Over $60 and All Of Our Deadeners Are Made, Priced and Shipped From The USA. Try Our Easy To Apply, Simple To Use Sound Deadeners Today And Join The 1000s Of Happy People With Quiet Rides.
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:24 PM   #17
Peanut74

5x Kilmat. Used it on my '89 Toyota pickup and it works great. Killed a lot of the road noise and helps keep the interior temp down. I have also installed it in my '67 also but it is not on the road yet.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:27 PM   #18
Larry S

Anyone tried this? It has good reviews.
Check out this page from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nio-smr24
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:57 PM   #19
Myself

OK all you ah-hem 'THRIFTY' gentlemen, here's the cheap ticket.

Gaps and cracks spray foam and some chip brushes!!

Yep, everywhere inside you can reach in and won't matter if it's smooth. Just shoot some spray foam on the panel and brush it to spread it some. Works excellent for sound deadening and adds some insulating value as well. Works just as good on the backsides of plastic panels where there is space too! Less than $20 to do a whole vehicle!!

Removal down the road......simply scrape it off with a putty knife!
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:20 AM   #20
Bubfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
Anyone tried this? It has good reviews.
Check out this page from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nio-smr24
It looks just like the kilmat.
Bubfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #21
OregonNed

I liked the FatMat I used - purchased a roll from Amazon - seemed pretty reasonably priced
Old 02-13-2022, 01:02 PM   #22
conoco

I used KILMAT from Amazon. 1 box covered the firewall, floor and back of the cab where my gas tank is. I have one more box to do the inside of my doors and the ceiling under the oem material. I also covered my KILMAT with 3 coats o Herculiner. Turned out awesome and between this and the Gear vendors unit should be nice and quiet. Good luck.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #23
pwdcougar

Thank you for all the input! Since I'm doing a suburban I'll look into the kilmat and start off with one order and see how far it goes.

Is it worth it to use the 80mil over the 50?
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #24
conoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Thank you for all the input! Since I'm doing a suburban I'll look into the kilmat and start off with one order and see how far it goes.

Is it worth it to use the 80mil over the 50?
Yes, go 80mil. There isn't a lot of difference in thickness. I would advise 80 ml. Price is pretty the same also. Good luck!
Old 02-13-2022, 06:07 PM   #25
D.B

I sprayed the Lizardskin Sound Deadener and Lizardskin Heat Barrier then topped it off with a layer of Flatline Barrier. With the jutted carpet it made a world of difference in noise and temp. The Flatline Barrier kit also came with pieces that stick to the back of the cab (behind the seat area), inside the doors and between the door panel and door shell. I did not save any of the pics with the Flatline Barrier but I do have some pics showing the Lizardskin. You can look at them on post "My 72 Cheyenne Super C20".
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote