The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2023, 12:20 AM   #1
howzzzit

Cheap bolts

Anyone check out the bolts that are supplied with the cab mounting hardware?? They are grade 2 or less. Anyway, the sets from Classic Industries. I'll be changing mine to grade 8. Four cheap bolts holding your cab on could perhaps turn your cab into a lunar lander module during a severe collision. I'm sure the factory bolts weren't grade 2. Just something else to run through your head while trying to sleep at night.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:48 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: Cheap bolts

I absolutley understand your frustration. Grade 2 China may be a grade zero USA bolt?
However, the thin metal they go through would likely fail before the bolt would.
I understand the grade 8 may help you sleep better and that makes it worth it.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 12:40 PM   #3
kwmech

Factory bolts are grade 5 or better. Jut about all hardware is made in china now. I think everything I get from Fastenal is made overseas.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:45 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Factory bolts are grade 5 or better. Jut about all hardware is made in china now. I think everything I get from Fastenal is made overseas.
Yeah, I have Friends at Fastenal.

They down their head when I ask
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #5
Accelo

I recently went through a cluster at work when we replaced some bolts on a crane. They were 5/8" A325 bolts. These are torque to yield bolts that are only used one time. The torque is very high for a 5/8" bolt 198 - 240 inch pounds. Some of the replacement bolts were breaking before they reached the torque specification. They were marked A325 right on the heads. Turned out they were Chinese bolts. A325 bolts are typically used on structural steel and bridges. The spec was for USA bolts only, the vendor had somehow ended up with them. Of course I never received the whole story.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:15 PM   #6
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Been spending the $$$ lately on
ARP bolts
Old 01-02-2023, 03:27 PM   #7
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Off topic I admit, but I buy most of my hardware from boltsandnuts.com (they also advertise on amazon I believe but are cheaper direct). I've probably bought five different mix sets of Grade 8, Grade 5, and stainless. They are typically branded "JH"-Jinn Hirr (made in Taiwan-probably one of the biggest manufactures in the world and what I've found is typically in aftermarket suspension kits like QA1) and/or Made in Canada (lfastgroupe with the triangle head marking). I've even had some made in USA bolts mixed in there before. Not a bad place to purchase if you guys need anything in the future.

The body mount bolts I got from gmcpauls were Grade 5, but the washers were significantly thinner/smaller then original so I reused the old ones.
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:48 PM   #8
HOGDADDY

A few years back I put new bushings on and used cad plated grade 8 and after swapping radiator support to 91 Suburban recently, I discovered those new bolts were rusted badly.

I found equivalent bolts in stainless steel from BoltDepot. They were a tad longer but not an issue.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.aspx
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:19 AM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Short maybe small hardware, which I doubt, GMs hardware was GR 5 or 8. Generally speaking GR 8 is for chassis such as for the crossmembers, if I recall some suspension & lower steering, heavy stuff.

There's a reason manufacturers did not install GR 8 into an engine block, for instance. That said, I'm not sure what the intake and head bolts were, such as "M" bolts. They're not marked 5 or 8.

OT: Anyone know what four marks means? Seems I had some on the bell housing.

I got my cab mount kit from Classic Heartbeat. The bolts are unmarked, or at least the rears aren't. I'd have to check, but I don't believe the original bolts were marked. The new front bolts are stout, but IMO the rears are lessor than original, though I installed them.

Agree, if the bolts feel weak they probably are.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:49 AM   #10
GMCPaul

Our cab mounting bolt sets are made up of Grade 5 fasteners.
Part # 298298 or 19711953
67-72 Complete Cab Hardware Kit
Found on the following 2 pages of our website
Radiator Cab & Bed Mounts
https://gmcpauls.com/rubber_&_weather_strip_21.htm
or
Bolts & Misc.
https://gmcpauls.com/Bolts_&_Misc..htm
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls

Last edited by GMCPaul; 01-25-2023 at 10:51 AM.
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:53 PM   #11
best view

Good info thanks
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 12:17 PM   #12
Wrenchbender Ret

OT: Anyone know what four marks means? Seems I had some on the bell housing.

We used to get bolts with 4 markings. They were about halfway between grade 5 & grade 8 in strength. You just don't see them anymore.

George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:57 PM   #13
AllGoNoShow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Our cab mounting bolt sets are made up of Grade 5 fasteners manufactured in the USA.
Part # 298298 or 19711953
67-72 Complete Cab Hardware Kit
Found on the following 2 pages of our website
Radiator Cab & Bed Mounts
https://gmcpauls.com/rubber_&_weather_strip_21.htm
or
Bolts & Misc.
https://gmcpauls.com/Bolts_&_Misc..htm
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
Unless you changed recently-the bolts I got from you are marked “JH” which are Jinn Herr (Made in Taiwan). Probably one of the biggest bolt manufacturers there is, but definitely not made in the USA.
Posted via Mobile Device
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:15 AM   #14
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Unless you changed recently-the bolts I got from you are marked “JH” which are Jinn Herr (Made in Taiwan). Probably one of the biggest bolt manufacturers there is, but definitely not made in the USA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for pointing this out.
I just checked the bolt heads and you are correct and they were marked JH, the bolts from our fastener supplier arrive in U.S. Bolt Manufacturing Inc. labeling on the bulk packages we receive and the labels say they are made in USA on them. So I'm not sure whats going on. I'll get the made in USA removed from the site until we can determine where they are actually manufactured though.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:07 PM   #15
MikeB

Bolt Depot is a great place to get fasteners: https://www.boltdepot.com/catalog.aspx

I've been buying from them for many years. The only downside is today's shipping costs can be as much as the order. My last order was $17 in parts and $9 shipping.

But you name it, they probably have it -- flange nuts and bolts, stainless button head bolts, standard and SAE flat washers, steel spacers, etc. And, of course, Grade 5 and 8 nuts, bolts, and washers.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote