The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2023, 07:41 AM   #1
ricurt69

Leaf spring shocks

Can anyone recomend a shock type and brand to use with a leaf spring rear 72? I have lowerd leaf springs useing a conventional gas shock and the ride is very harsh. Of course with the stock leafs it was not that much better.
ricurt69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 10:58 PM   #2
Mike C

Re: Leaf spring shocks

I have a rear axle flip on my ‘69 short step. I am running stock length front shocks in the rear relocated to the more straight up mounting hole. I am using KYB G2 shocks and have been quite happy with that setup.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:14 PM   #3
Warrens69GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricurt69 View Post
Can anyone recomend a shock type and brand to use with a leaf spring rear 72? I have lowerd leaf springs useing a conventional gas shock and the ride is very harsh. Of course with the stock leafs it was not that much better.
You need to measure unloaded and loaded in inches, then you can find a suitable solution.

So 11 ride height, 6.5 inch fully loaded will give a baseline.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:38 PM   #4
PbFut

The stroke measurements will tell you if the shock will fit without damage in use but it is the compression and rebound valving that will provide the ride quality. I use a basic Monroe set on my 72 c2500 with very acceptable results, but it is at original height. I have no info on valve spec. It is important to confirm the suspension bottoms before the shock or you will destroy the valves in the shock body. Once you have the stock length figured out spring rate will determine valving to some degree as there is also a factor with the front movement so you don't set up a porpoise bounce while rolling down the road. Bottom line, correct shock selection is difficult enough using original factory specs. Start f'ing with things and it is trial and error unless you find someone with exact spring rate and height setting that happens to have found a good combo. Otherwise every suggestion you get will be ok at best for you. Good luck, it will be a journey to find the right settings
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:41 PM   #5
Motoxrrar

I would go to ride techs website and look up single adjustable shocks, they are well worth the price of admission. Huge difference on just stock suspension and if you have lowered vehicles they have them too. Best investment I’ve made. 1million mile warranty too.

https://ridetech.com/product/11339510/
Motoxrrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
Mid-Pack

I`m really happy with the Belltech Street Performance shocks. You should confirm the shock stud mount distance length with suspension compressed before you buy. As mentioned, you don`t want the shocks to bottom out.

Perhaps these we be a good fit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...ckup/year/1970
Mid-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote