The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2023, 04:39 PM   #1
Christianad1156

'69 P/U brake controller connection help

I've hit a dead end and can use some help.

I'm wiring in brake controller into my 1969 Chevy K20. I don't want to splice or cut into the wire coming out of the brake light switch.

Does anybody make a connector that goes in between the two-pin connector on the wiring harness and the two pins on the brake light switch that effectively splices the wire for the brake light signal? An extra wire would have to be provided that I can use to connect the brake controller wire/harness.

The two wires I'm talking on the harness are the white and orange wires on the two-pin connector. I'd like to minimize the "modifications" to the electrical system as much as possible. I've looked for a while for this product on the message boards and various sites.

If not, how has everyone else connected the brake signal wire?

Let me know if the question doesn't make sense please.

Thanks in advance!
Christianad1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:15 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: '69 P/U brake controller connection help

Most of the connectors on our trucks are called Packard 56 type. The connector is the plastic part, and the terminal is the metal tab that goes on the end of the wire. After crimping the stripped wire onto the terminal, the terminal inserts into the back of the connector. To remove the terminal, release it from the front of the connector, and push it out the back.

By "front" of the connector I mean the part of the connector that mates to a switch or another connector. The back is where the wire goes into the connector.

So, here you go. Release the wire and terminal from the connector using a small screwdriver inserted in the front, and pull the terminal out the back of the connector. Clean it up and bend the locking tab back into shape so it will engage the connector when re-inserted.

Buy from eBay or Napa some single-position male and female connectors with terminals. You can put the terminal you removed into a new single position connector, and make a new wire with terminals and connectors attached to go to your controller device, and insert into your brake light connector. The male terminals snap into the larger connector, and the female terminals snap into the smaller connector.

I recommend make a good crimped physical connection to your terminals, and also add solder to the joint to make an extra good connection.

You will end up making only minor and reversible changes to your wiring harness when you do it this way.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Using this method I removed the terminals from the specialized 2-position connector that attaches to the windshield washer pump under the dash, and inserted the terminals into single position female connectors, then made a wiring harness with male terminals/connectors that allowed me to connect a new windshield washer pump under the hood. Some day if I restore the factory windshield washer pump and want to hook it up, all I would need to do is release the terminals from my 2 individual connectors, and put them back into the specialized 2-position connector.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 11-27-2023 at 06:03 PM.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #4
Rust_never_sleeps

I just removed one that used crimp-on vampire taps :-D
yeah, never do that, and never ever ever on something that's exposed to weather
Rust_never_sleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #5
Christianad1156

DMJ,
Thanks so much for this. I took a closer look at my wiring and realized that somebody had previously cut into the wires and reconnected them. I'm less hesitant to cut into them again now. However, thanks to your photos, I took a closer look at my connector and realized the wiring looks terrible. I'm going get a new connector and re-do that part of the wiring to make sure its clean and safe and has a good connection. Thanks again.
Christian
Christianad1156 is offline   Reply With Quote