The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #1
Extended Power

Quick question: where does this pink wire go?

The pink wire in the upper right corner with its own grommet?
I have a hole in my firewall and no wire...
The picture is borrowed from another thread I was reading this morning while trying to find answers to other missing/misplaced wires.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #2
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Lightbulb Re: Quick question: where does this pink wire go?

If it is a 1970, then it is for the TCS(Transmission Controlled Spark) relay power. The one end plugs into the fuse block under the dash. The other end plugs into the TCS relay. The relay is screwed to the firewall edge to the right of the HVAC box as shown below.

1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
pjmoreland

Re: Quick question: where does this pink wire go?

It might also be for a TH400 kickdown switch.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 01:16 PM   #4
Extended Power

Ok that makes sense now.
My truck, when I first got it, had the funky relay mounted right beside the heater housing...and I do have a t400 transmission.

So I can safely remove this connector from the fuse block inside the truck to clean it up a bit?

I was also going to remove the cloth/bootlace wire from the fuse block on the front of the firewall, and connect a new wire that would be the switched power/trigger wire for the relay I have which sends power to a strip of connections. (Fuel pump trigger wire, electric fan trigger wire, MSD switched power, electric kick down on transmission, etc)
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
Extended Power

Green wire in the bottom picture is the temperature sender wire....it is cracked, so I may as well run a new wire for it too.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:20 PM   #6
Extended Power

Lol, found the connection of wires I needed to find in my scrap pile.
Shows the cloth/bootlace wire connected to the two yellow wires that go to the starter and coil.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2023, 06:30 PM   #7
dmjlambert

That white cloth-covered wire is the resistor wire used for the coil power in a points distributor. On the other side of the firewall that position connects to the 12 gauge pink wire, which is unfused switched ignition power. It should be OK to put those switched devices under the hood that you mention on power that comes from that position. I suggest use 12 gauge pink wire for that. The wire and devices would be protected only by the fusible link at the battery unless you added an inline circuit breaker or fuse, or a small fuse block somewhere. I bought a ready-made pink wire with terminal that inserts into the firewall connector, having an HEI power plug on the other end, from Year One. At some point I may tidy up my wiring by tapping into that wire to connect the kickdown switch and electric choke. As it is right now I'm using that pink wire with its own grommet that you mentioned at the top of the thread for power to my electric choke, and kickdown is not yet connected.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 06:36 PM   #8
Rust_never_sleeps

....aaaand I've added yet another note to my pdf wiring diagram, thanks ;-)
Old 12-16-2023, 07:14 PM   #9
Extended Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
That white cloth-covered wire is the resistor wire used for the coil power in a points distributor. On the other side of the firewall that position connects to the 12 gauge pink wire, which is unfused switched ignition power. It should be OK to put those switched devices under the hood that you mention on power that comes from that position. I suggest use 12 gauge pink wire for that. The wire and devices would be protected only by the fusible link at the battery unless you added an inline circuit breaker or fuse, or a small fuse block somewhere. I bought a ready-made pink wire with terminal that inserts into the firewall connector, having an HEI power plug on the other end, from Year One. At some point I may tidy up my wiring by tapping into that wire to connect the kickdown switch and electric choke. As it is right now I'm using that pink wire with its own grommet that you mentioned at the top of the thread for power to my electric choke, and kickdown is not yet connected.
I do believe it was your picture I used in my first post of this thread. Thank you for that.
Yes, there is another pink wire that is plugged into the “infused” terminal on the inside cab fuse box.
I have removed that as well, because I bought the 0-8K rpm tach dash from Brother’s Truck about a year ago, and am just getting around to installing it. (Way too many changes over the last year.)
Anyways, the harness that came with the new tach dash, has the same double connector end on it as the original wiring harness that was plugged into the fuse box.
I was looking up the MSD 6-AL2 wiring, to see if I could just connect the factory tach coil neg. wire to the MSD grey tach wire. Not sure if it will work, as the factory tach uses the pink wire as the positive, and the other wire connects to the factory/stock coil “-“ post, while the MSD has the grey tach wire, but it’s a square wave 12 volt signal, so a tach adapter may be required.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:19 PM   #10
Extended Power

Tach compatible list...says to bypass in line filter.
I don’t think I have any type of filter installed anymore....
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2023, 07:32 PM   #11
Extended Power

Searched and read a few threads on hooking up an MSD to the factory tach, and they all pretty much said, just hook the grey MSD tach wire to the factory tach wire. (Brown in this case.)

I had an Autometer tach before this factory tach dash, and it worked fine straight to the grey wire.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:37 PM   #12
dmjlambert

Yes, I'll bet you're right. I have electric experience but don't specifically have tach or MSD experience, and a quick search of the forum finds threads where people discussed connecting tach to the MSD grey wire but I didn't see any threads that had the original poster saying "tried that and it worked." I suggest contact MSD, Brothers, and search threads, and if you try something and can't get it to work, post a new thread in the electrical section or this section of the forum and see what people who've done it say. I'll bet there's a ton of people with some sort of MSD and tach. Regarding the orange highlighted line, I think you don't really have GM, you have MSD and it's a different animal. But it probably doesn't need a filter. The factory GM or HEI setup are sort of like square waves, but noisy with spikes. MSD may produce a tach output that is too clean. It will be interesting to hear your results.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #13
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extended Power View Post
...and I do have a t400 transmission.
Do you have a kickdown switch for your TH400? Maybe you need that lone pink wire through the firewall.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 01:11 AM   #14
Extended Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970cstblazer View Post
If it is a 1970, then it is for the TCS(Transmission Controlled Spark) relay power. The one end plugs into the fuse block under the dash. The other end plugs into the TCS relay. The relay is screwed to the firewall edge to the right of the HVAC box as shown below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Do you have a kickdown switch for your TH400? Maybe you need that lone pink wire through the firewall.
I am using a LOKAR electric kickdown now.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:45 PM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Do you happen to have a part number for that wire handy?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 03:41 PM   #16
dmjlambert

Yes, click on the picture of the wire and it takes you to my thread and right there I have the link to year one. Their part number is L00510.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:50 PM   #17
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Yes, click on the picture of the wire and it takes you to my thread and right there I have the link to year one. Their part number is L00510.
Thank you!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote