The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
HeavyHauler

My new Western Chassis 1.5 drop coils are same height as my stock ones.

I just removed the stock front coil springs in my 1968 Chevy C10 SWB fleetside and I compared them to the new Western Chassis 1.5 drop coils and they both are the same height.

I have not installed the new coil springs yet but I am wondering if they will not give me any drop in ride height at all since they are the same physical height while looking at them right now.

Anybody have any experience with that in the coil springs that you have installed?

Western Chassis also makes a 2.5 drop coil spring and I am wondering if I should just send the 1.5 springs back but I am wondering if the 2.5 will drop the front too much as I already have ECE 2.5 drop spindles.
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
Nickelndime

Re: My new Western Chassis 1.5 drop coils are same height as my stock ones.

I've been there with those same exact springs. They were delivered in packaging from POL and the Pol part number shows them to be 1" drop. If you have digital calipers measure the wire diameter or thickness. In my experience they were the same free height and bar diameter as the springs I removed and offered little or no drop.

I ended up ordering a set of Early classics 1.5" drop springs and were perfect but they are now unfortunately closing the doors. I would try a set of 2 inch drop springs or western chassis 2.5 which are probably a 2" drop.

If you try the 2" drop springs, also compare them to your current springs before installing. Your going to want them around .75 to no more than 1 inch shorter than your old springs at free height. That should put you 1.5 to 2 inches lower when installed.
Nickelndime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelndime View Post
I've been there with those same exact springs. They were delivered in packaging from POL and the Pol part number shows them to be 1" drop. If you have digital calipers measure the wire diameter or thickness. In my experience they were the same free height and bar diameter as the springs I removed and offered little or no drop.

I ended up ordering a set of Early classics 1.5" drop springs and were perfect but they are now unfortunately closing the doors. I would try a set of 2 inch drop springs or western chassis 2.5 which are probably a 2" drop.

If you try the 2" drop springs, also compare them to your current springs before installing. Your going to want them around .75 to no more than 1 inch shorter than your old springs at free height. That should put you 1.5 to 2 inches lower when installed.
I ordered mine from Summit and they were also delivered in a POL packaging. LOL!

I will send them back to Summit and get the 2.5 Western Chassis coil springs.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
jimijam00

52 y/o stock springs, or 1 y/o NOS springs?
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:11 PM   #5
demian5

That happened to me with a 69 chevelle. Put in drop rears and front, almost sat the exact same as the stocks.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
Nickelndime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
52 y/o stock springs, or 1 y/o NOS springs?
I was replacing Moog Part # 6082 springs that had less than 1000 miles in my case.
Nickelndime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
jimijam00

I kinda figured you took out 52 y/o sagging stock springs, or you took out something else.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
HeavyHauler

Here is a update on measured spring heights. Maybe it will help somebody in the future.

The free standing height of new Western Chassis 2.5 drop springs are 11 5/16 to 11 5/16 as the spring rocks a little when measuring.

What I think are the stock 1968 Chevy C10 SWB fleetside springs that I removed measure free standing height of 12 3/4 to 12 7/8. It should also be known that my truck originally came with 396 engine and 400 turbo trans.

I had some new Western Chassis 1.5 drop springs and they measured about the same as the factory springs that I pulled.