The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
72beatuptruck

Hard brake pedel

i bought old beat 72 chevy recently. the truck has factory tilt and ac. other than that the truck is pretty worn out. the original 350 was taken out and a 292 6 was put in. the question i have is the truck has vacuum but the brake pedel is hard as a rock to push down. i have drove it like this but its kinda scary. what could be the problem? i have changed the check valve and that did nothing. what else could it be?
72beatuptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Hard brake pedel

It sounds like the diaphragm is shot.
If you can get someone to help you, try this.
Disconnect the vacuum line from the booster and plug it with your finger. Have the helper start the engine. Slightly move your finger off of the end of the line, to be sure it has vacuum, but block it quickly so the engine doesn't die. If it does indeed have vacuum, tell the helper to press on the brake. Now quickly plug the vacuum line back into the booster. The helper should feel the difference. If there is no difference, the booster is your problem.

BTW welcome from another Ohio member.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Welcome aboard.
Longhair pretty much covered it all.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
72beatuptruck

A welcome and an edit in the same thread....

Quote:
XIV. As of October 15th 2005 subscribing members will be the only ones permitted to post for sale and want to buy ads on any classified section of this site. All other rules of buying and selling still apply. 67-72chevytrucks.com, its administrators or staff are not responsible for any transactions on or off the forums. We will work hard to ensure you a smooth transaction, and help in the event you may need it, but all for sale and trade areas are buyer beware. Any persons who have misrepresented an item, lie about an item, fail to deliver, or are in violation of any of the rules will forfeit there subscription fees and be banned from 67-72chevytrucks.com

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 05-12-2008 at 01:54 AM.
72beatuptruck is offline   Reply With Quote