The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2002, 12:03 AM   #1
cheatham
I need a brake!

shim the starter?

Last winter my starter was having some trouble turning the engine over. I would hit the ignition switch and the starter would whine, but not crank the engine (intermittenly, and especially when the engine is cold- but sometimes when warm). Well after a couple of trys it always turns the engine over. During the summer it did this very rarely and i forgot about it. Now it is getting cooler again and the problem has returned frequently.

Anyone know for sure what the problem is, I would like to know before shim the starter if that will help. I thought teeth might be broken, but the fact that it is 'almost' always happening when cold has made me suspect of that.

Any help is appreciated greatly.

JP
cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 12:45 AM   #2
1971LT1SWBPOSI373

The only way to really find out what is going on is to remove the flywheel cover (I assume you have an automatic transmission) and manually pull the starter gear out to engage the flywheel gear to see what is going on. I once came across a specific measurement for the gear mesh measurement, it was measured using a piece of wire, but I can't remember the size. Basically you were checking to make sure that the gears weren't bottoming out on each other....
1971 Shortbed 350/350 w/ Posi-traction 3:73's
1996 Chevy Silverado
TJ in Springfield, Virginia
Likes old Chevy trucks
Drinks Miller MGD
1971LT1SWBPOSI373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 12:57 AM   #3
Piston
Account Suspended

Funny how certain times of the year bring on the same old problems. (cold weather bendix problems)

What you want to look for when this happens, Open the hood then try to crank the engine over. Does the engine even spin? If the starter is spinning but the engine is not, chances are you have a bad bendix (starter). This is the one way clutch if you will.... It locks when reversed but spins freely when moved forward. The starter motor is turning but the bendix just free wheels when it should be locked.

When these go bad they tend to act worst when cold. After the engine has warmed a bit, the starter usually acts ok unless the bendix is just plain worn out completly. Then it will free wheel all day long and leave you stranded.

If you've had no trouble of grinding noises from the starter on normal starts, I'd suspect the positioning of the starter is ok. Double check your starter bolts though, make sure that starter is not moving around (seen that one happen before.. not pretty)
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:25 AM   #4
alta-aj

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the battery was shot. It had enough voltage when tested with a voltmeter but collapsed when loaded. Also, as you know, battery efficiency deteriorates with temperature.
alta-aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:42 AM   #5
speeddemon

just a note: disconnect the battery before pulling out the bendix or the starter will try to turn over. You also want an1/8" of clearance between the armature( the shaft the bendix rides on) and the flywhel.

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn
speeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 03:07 AM   #6
gangforward
Hootis is as Hootis does...

Had the same trouble with my 67. It get's down to -40 in the winters here.. First issue was the bendix, I replaced the starter and it worked fine for a few weeks, then started up intermittently. I broke down and bought the Optima battery they use in Fire Trucks and Prudhoe Bay Alaska, the monster has never failed to start my truck no matter how cold it gets. Knock on wood, that was four years ago...

Good Luck!

67 Fleetside, 327, Glide.
gangforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 12:04 PM   #7
1971LT1SWBPOSI373

That's sounds like the correct measurement Speeddemon. I used a 1/8 inch drill bit and checked for a slip fit. Check the flywhel and your armature gear too, if the clearance was not correct then there may be some damage done if it's been doing this for a while. If your clearance is correct then your problem is somewhere else, probably the bendix itself.
1996 Chevy Silverado
Likes old Chevy trucks
Drinks Miller MGD
Old 11-07-2002, 01:08 PM   #8
cheatham
I need a brake!

Thanks for all the info on this. Extra input always makes a job easier

BTW, it is a 3sp manual 1971LT1- guess i should make a sig, huh....

Thanks
JP
cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:07 PM   #9
StingRay

On some years they were shimmed right from the factory. Most starter/Alternator shops will have the shims in stock. I just put em in one at a time till it got smooth and quiet.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:15 PM   #10
1971LT1SWBPOSI373

Same still applies Cheatham. You still want to do the same thing, pull the cover, check the measurements and inspect the gears.
1996 Chevy Silverado
Likes old Chevy trucks
Drinks Miller MGD
Old 11-07-2002, 02:19 PM   #11
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

Try measuring the voltage at the starter when cranking it. It should have at least 12 volts. I read about this problem in one of my bathroom mags a month ago or so. The guy only had 9 volts going to the starter because of a bad battery and wires.