The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Skyd Ram

Center seat belt with shoulder harness?

Hey Guys!

I just got my first C10 and this is my first post. The truck is solid and runs good so my first upgrades are all going to be based on safety and reliability before the real fun begins.

It's a 70 Short Bed and only has the drivers and passengers lap belts. I want to be as safe as possible with my wife and 8 year old son in it.

I know that I can do drivers and passenger side 3 point belts but all I can find any info for on a center belt is a lap belt. I would feel a whole lot better if I could come up with a 3 point setup for the center passenger (my 8 year old pride and joy).

From what I can see, they was never a factory provision for something like this due to the gas tank location. Has anyone fabbed up some sort of cross bar to attach something like a retractable 3 point or even a race style 4 point harness to?
Skyd Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Center seat belt with shoulder harness?

Fabbing one up and using a race car type harness is gonna be the only way I can see to accomplish what you want. I understand how important you child is to you. Mine are 24 and 23 and I still worry about them.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:40 AM   #3
Skyd Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Fabbing one up and using a race car type harness is gonna be the only way I can see to accomplish what you want. I understand how important you child is to you. Mine are 24 and 23 and I still worry about them.
Thanks,

I've got a few ideas dreamed up and I'll post it when it is done.
Skyd Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Do new vehicles have center shoulder belts? How would you do it w/o major tearing into the cab? The belts need more than sheetmetal screws. Whatever you do, do it right or it's worse than nothing for being a false sense of security. You can't anchor to the b-pillar or you'll choke the driver or other passenger

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Do new vehicles have center shoulder belts? How would you do it w/o major tearing into the cab? The belts need more than sheetmetal screws. Whatever you do, do it right or it's worse than nothing for being a false sense of security. You can't anchor to the b-pillar or you'll choke the driver or other passenger
They do, and they are integrated into the seat. In fact, so are the Driver and passenger side shoulder belts in my 01 Sierra. I'm sure that the seats are really made differently in order to handle it though.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote