The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #1
Tetanus Express

Fuel problem possibly found...

So I just bought a new project a couple of months ago but some things came up and life took over all my time and focus. So I had to let it sit for a bit. So fast forward to last weekend and I finally got time to start on my new project. As I go to move it in to the shop for some assessment of what all needs to be done and to get a game plan together it didn't want to crank right away like before. So the battery ran down pretty quick from sitting for a bit but I put a charger on it and charged up pretty quick. So I came to the conclusion that it wasn't getting any fuel. So I checked the fuel filter and yea it could have stood to been changed so I did. Still wouldn't fire up. So then I checked to make sure that fuel was making its way to carb and to my finding not really. So I put a new manual pump on it and still nothing. CRAP! So I then thought well maybe it has a little trash in the carb. So pulled it off to check it out and this is what I found. So my question to you all is... Have you ever seen a carb after it has sucked a tank of sugar gas? 😡 I am pretty sure it is sugar that someone thought my truck needed. I dug some out and let it dry and yes tried a very small portion lol and it was sweet and also had the obvious strong taste of gas. I wish knew who did this... Just 5 minutes is all it would take. Lol
Attached Images

Tetanus Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Tetanus Express

Re: Fuel problem possibly found...

Here is some of the gunk I dug out of one of the bowls.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
wilkin250r

Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
hatzie

Lead compounds taste sweet too. Lead precipitation isn't out of the realm of possibility but that carb would need to be very old.

Sugar doesn't dissolve very well in gasoline but it will dissolve in water or Isopropyl Alcohol so if you had some condensation and sugar in the tank it will travel with water or drygas. Not sure why it would drop out of suspension tho.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 12-18-2016 at 12:06 AM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #5
Tetanus Express

Correct on the sugar not dissolving in gas. The carb is supposedly about 6 months old so... When I got the truck it had just had a new crate motor installed along with new carb and distributor and wires and belts. So I don't know it is still a mystery to me how it could run so good then just start acting up. But anyway it has made think about what my plans for this truck is. So I think I may want to go the 5.3 or 6.0 way. But I plan on dropping the tank to see if there is anything in the tank. I did also notice that the old filter was broke on the inside that did let trash by so it was like I didn't even have a filter. So I guess on to the next area for now.