The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

You ever go out to the shop and turn around lol

So Ive been in and out doing errands this morning. And we have to leave in a bit for most of the rest of the day for a family gathering. Figured I would go out to shop and get in some productive time before we left.

Kinda crowded in there right now. Bumped a table with stuff stacked all over it as I walked in the door. Off falls a fresh gallon jug of car wash, it splits wide open. Search for my rag box ( I have a ton of shop rags, so no big deal). bump the table again and a bunch of my "good stuff" lands in the car wash goop on the floor. Go around the table the other way, barely bump it again and a pile of brake shoes fall on the floor, but miss the car wash. Found an old bath towel, laid it over the mess on the floor and now Im in the house. Ill deal with it tomorrow .. Ugh! At least its not oil haha!
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: You ever go out to the shop and turn around lol

What was you doing in my shop???.....least it sounds like you were...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Sounds very familiar

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
kingsolver72
10/30/19

In my world that episode is called a Monday on a Saturday.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
100%Chevy

I have to walk sideways in most of my shop!
And,I warn people to be careful of stuff falling on them.
Organization is not gonna happen here!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
flashed

My shop is a disaster and I just sold a Trans Am that was in there for 25 years ,still trying to clean out stuff so I can blow my trucks apart .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
TKCR

I have to say, I don't have that problem. I'm pretty OCD, so even when I come home with a bunch of seats to tear down, it will get messy. After I'm done, I put everything away and clean up. All the parts have their place until I can take them out to the storage shed until I'm ready to start working on them.
I've been recovering some outdoor chair cushions for someone. I only do a little at a time. But each time I stop, I put everything away until the next time and clean up. I can't stand having my garage/shop messy.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
davischevy

My shop is the worst it's been in a while right now, but most of the time the reason I can't get anything done is I spend too much time putting things away.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:55 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Whenever I go into someones shop that is really clean I ask them how they can possibly get anything done with the shop that clean...... My shop is always a mess, and like 100%Chevy I warn everyone that they are taking their life in their own hands when they enter. I had to clean for a half a day to be able to set up two saw horses to put the Longhorn seat on, so I could repair the drivers side seat springs. Unlike TKCR I never pick anything up until I start tripping over stuff and have to do it out of necessity. I'm terrible that way. Bah!

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have a couple of board members coming over tomorrow morning to look at a bunch of stuff here at the house and ill have to carefully lay it out in my wife's garage for them to see. My shop has so much stuff in it I have it off limits for all friends and family. If they like what they see then we will trip out to the farm and check out a few more items. It's messy out there too but the items they want to see are large and easy to get to. Hopefully I'm giving them a good enough package deal it will move enough stuff out to keep me motivated in the direction I have planned. But mostly I hope no one gets hurt LOL!
Old 11-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

I could spend a day just putting tools away ,But then I just drag them all back out spread all over the shop working on different projects again ... It's a no win situation .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #12
kingsolver72
10/30/19

My shop is a cluttered mess right now. I use to keep things organized at the other place. Now the shop gets organized about every three or four months. Mostly because I don’t like seeing looking like a tornado went through.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:43 AM   #13
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Here are a couple of pictures of my shop when it’s fairly clean.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Usually when I have a trip to the shop like that it turns into stay out and get the place together for the next time.

It's a constant cycle of pile it up bit by bit till I am climbing over things and all work surfaces are 'stocked up' till I get fed up and find a place for everything when I need it. But that means the work surfaces covered in an organized single layer of things laid out I either don't want stuffed away yet, hoping to find the rest of what goes with it, or things I can't decide what to do with. It's always better after, but never put to fully organized. I need more real estate to ever hope to keep things manageable. I'd build a shed for each category of stuff. I get the most from what I have now. I love using things up I have had stored... or sitting around in the way. All this 'do that laters' looking at you gets to be too much. Not a priority in the big picture maybe, but in the clear the clutter so I can have my mind back picture it becomes a priority that helps the big picture.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #15
Boog
laying low

It's easy to drop the tools and close the door on a shop where you don't have to use it as a garage too. I do tend to do that some times but sooner or later I have to move things out and give it a good cleaning and straightening up. Air hoses, electrical cords, drain pans, oil dry.. it gets to be too much to efficiently get anything done much less find that tool you saw a while back and need right now! Now what did I use it on last? The dog must have took it. That's the only thing I can come up with..
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #16
davischevy

My 6 year old grandson can displace a bunch of tools in a few minutes.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #17
Red71gmc

My shop tends to get out of control and it seems I clean it less often then I used to.
When I was young my dads shop was nothing but walkways around piles and it drove me nuts. When I got my own shop I kept it cleaned up after projects for about ten years. Now I think I have caught up with my dad on the mess after decades.
About once a year I do pull and carry everything out the shop door, sweep and power wash the shop, and then bring back in items that need to be there, throw away what needs tossed, and store the unneeded items elsewhere. It looks good for about a week.
Of course other times I intend on cleaning up the mess but first grab a beer from the fridge to come up with a mater plan. When the plan still hasn't happened after the 6th beer then I just decide it is for another day! Lol
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #18
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I sold my truck yesterday to a board member, now I have another project truck to drag home. Where I have it stored the guy is cool if I leave it there for a little longer. So I'm going to take a few weeks to redo mine and get it in order.

I was out there last night messing around, and needed something off that same dang table. I swear its like playing Jenga ... Carefullllll ... yoink! ... crash!!!