The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question 2000 s-10 4.3

OK here is what I'm needing.
My son's s-10 is constantly showing P1404 code.
I had the bed off and replaced the sending unit about 3 months ago because the gas guage was all over the place. The problem started after this. the check engine light is coming on after about 15-20 minutes of driving it. They took the bed off 3 times and it all looks fine.
To me:
While driving it it comes on after you use the brakes or you let off the gas pedal. Would cleaning it help?
Somebody has to know what the problem is.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Tink

Re: 2000 s-10 4.3

P1404 is an error in the EGR valve at it's closed position. It is a type "A" DTC - meaning it will turn the ses lamp on immediately upon occurence. It sets the code because the computer is expecting to see 0% actual value (because it commanded 0%) open and it doesn't. Meaning the EGR is either stuck open or the computer is reading the sensor values wrong (doubtful, but it happens).

Most likely cause is carbon getting stuck in the egr valve holding it open. If that is the case, you would have a rough idle when it happens. One fix for this is the Tomco "Clean Screen" gasket. Here's the link. http://www.tomco-inc.com/ Only problem with this fix is that the screen will become clogged occaisionally requiring periodic cleaning.

Sea-foam can be used to clean the carbon out but to get ALL the EGR passages cleaned out means you have to have a scan tool to command the EGR valve open while doing the sea-foam cleaning.

88 Sierra

02 2500 Suburban
And too many S10s to list!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: 2000 s-10 4.3

I bought a new EGR valve yesterday and screen gasket. Put them on late last night drove the truck about 20 Minutes. Just before cutting it off the light came on again. Same code as before.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

Re: 2000 s-10 4.3

Andy, I subscribe to an online service that I just checked, I will paste a fix that was posted:
Thanks for all the replies. I ve heard of installing the valves backwards so I checked that and tried a dealer part just for good measure. Nothing changed. Some years of this truck have a TSB that suggests reflashing the PCM. Not having the ability to do this myself I took the car to a friend at another shop here in town. He checked and found excessive resitance in the ground circuit. We pulled apart the emgine harrnes and repaired the splice wich brought the reading down to about the 1.05 suggested by mark. Long story short the truck is fixed and here is yet another iatn post about how much easier life is when you check the basics before you start chasing you tail.

A big thanks to John and everyone that replied.

I also read there that you might check to be sure that the fuel pump ground is wired correctly. Could cause feed back to the egr circuit.

I might suggest also that you remove the EGR, and start the truck and run it for a few seconds. Might blow out some of the carbon build up. Like you we will use a screen type gasket.

I also read another post that said to be sure that the EGR valve was install correctly ( do not remember ) I assuem that they can be install either way?

HTH
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: 2000 s-10 4.3

Thanks,
Well I guess I can try the blowing it out. I can look at the ground on the tank to since they just redid it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 06-14-2011 at 04:21 AM.