The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

Brake booster/Master cylinder ideas request

Looking for ideas on brake booster and master cylinder. What options are out their to compliment a smooth firewall. I like polished and chrome but im also kicking around the idea of a 90* under dash kit. Anyone know if an 8" booster will fit under the dash? Post pictures of what you have.
Posted via Mobile Device
CTENTA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
JointTech

Re: Brake booster/Master cylinder ideas request

i dont know but I just put a new MC/booster on. Its already rusting and is only a week old. Plus with all the bleeding and messing with it theres no way any paint would still be there.
So not sure what Im going to do when I really clean up the engine compartment.
Maybe a chrome one will stay nicer. or powdercoating.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I had a dual diaphram stainless steel booster on my 67 Chevelle. Mine was 8" but they are avaialble in 7". They run about $120 on eBay...

Check out CaptainFabs low profile booster mount... Bolt on deal if you left the factory mounting holes... it just doesnt fit factory column shift without some modification to shift linkage...

The under dash 90* mount would be cool but more work.. there's not much space under there and it would be hard to fill the the brake fluid reservior...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
skorpioskorpio

I'll be using a Scott's Hotrods underfloor pedal assembly with hydroboost master. The idea of high pressure, hot, liquid that will eat the paint off your truck and melt your carpet inside the cab above your feet is less than appealing to me, and how many times have you checked the brake fluid level and some fluid splashed out, now do this while under it and fill it with a mirror.

I will either be running a remote reservoir or will have a trap door in the floor, still looking at my options, but either way it'll be easy. Do remember though if you go this route you need residual pressure check valves in your brake lines because you are putting your master cylinder at about the same altitude as your calipers.

I'm doing this because I'm going to be doing ITBs on a DOHC straight 6 and where the master cylinder is is right where my #6 stack will be.
Attached Images

skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
I had a dual diaphram stainless steel booster on my 67 Chevelle. Mine was 8" but they are avaialble in 7". They run about $120 on eBay...

Check out CaptainFabs low profile booster mount... Bolt on deal if you left the factory mounting holes... it just doesnt fit factory column shift without some modification to shift linkage...

The under dash 90* mount would be cool but more work.. there's not much space under there and it would be hard to fill the the brake fluid reservior...
Double post, read below...

Last edited by CTENTA1; 05-30-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

I saw one of those boosters on google images @ Ebay but the ad had expired. It looked really nice. How did you like it?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

Anyone? C' mon Show off your Booster and Masters. Theirs got to be some nice ones out.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Under dash or under floor is a great idea to hide one.If you do this glue a mirror above it and use a large syringe with a piece of tubing to fill.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
CTENTA1
Registered 1971 K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Under dash or under floor is a great idea to hide one.If you do this glue a mirror above it and use a large syringe with a piece of tubing to fill.
Nah... no need to. They sell this cool remote reservoir to use as the fill station. You can mount it anywhere as long as it's above the Master due to gravity.
Name:  04small.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  20.4 KB
Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
skorpioskorpio

When i talked to Kugal Komponents about running hydroboost on an underdash, they basically said, hey, you can do what ever you want, we make the parts, but hydros are noisey and higher pressure than I'd be comfortable with over your feet. So under the floor goes mine. I personally don't like the mirror syringe idea, and I'm not doing it to really hide it as much as to solve a real estate conflict, I'm leaning towards remoting a late model OEM style plastic reservoir, I'll already have a coolant bottle and a washer bottle anyway and they are easy to visually read. Scotts actually has a AN tapped billet lid for a Corvette type iron master, adding a plastic bottle remote in addition to the 'vette master would probably double the fluid capacity, I would think that would be a good thing.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote