The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
jcnelson

One for the body and fender folks

Back window just under the body line where the weather strip is. Looks like a pointed object came in from the windshield hit the area just above the gas tank didn’t pick a hole but put a golf ball dent which seems to have bent the cab BFH not doing the trick any ideas
Attached Images

jcnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
sick472

Re: One for the body and fender folks

I'm not seeing what your referring too...flipped for you anyhow...
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
Caddylackn

What is your question?

I am not seeing the damage either.

If the back of the cab is pushed out, it may be from an object in the bed of the truck hitting the back of the bed into the cab and bending the back of the cab in. The golf ball sized dent inside the cab is probably from somebody hitting the back of the cab from the inside to bend the back of the cab back out. Since the metal is now scretched the back panel was moved back to far in the center causing a ridge in the panel.

To fix this since the metal panel is stretched, I would make a clean cut along the ridge of metal that is peaked up, then straighten it by tacking on a piece or two of straight square metal tubing to straighten the back panel and keep it straight while you weld the sheet metal. Then tack weld the sheet metal back together every 3 inches or so careful not to get it too hot. Then carefully make tack welds every inch or so being careful to not get the panel too hot. The 1 inch gap tack welds should be random and not done in a line or it will cause distortion. Then fill in the gaps with more tack welds keeping the panel cool.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
jcnelson

Thanks for responding I can see from the picture it dos t clearly show sorry thought it did the straight edge is along the body line just under the window frame it has a bow the center is close in the middle at the ends of the straight edge has a gap 1/8-1/4 of an inch I cut the inner structure out and used a block of wood and 3 lb hammer it’s cleaned up some just not to my satisfaction
jcnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
67C10Step

If you have gotten the dent out but the overall panel is bowed could you attach a ratchet strap or two somewhere on the panel and then to something solid and pull the bow out?

I've used ratchet straps to do all sorts of pulling jobs, it's where and how to attach them that is the trick.
2024 Toyota Tundra
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #6
Barnfind46

Check your glass. The back is supposed to have a slight bow. The back is not perfectly flat. I learned that when I tried to install a back glass backwards. ( Inside out) It isn't much but it is bowed.